Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So my coin dealer buddy asks can you submit these to PCGS for me... (BIG PICS)..

Hands me 6 Kraft Envelopes, tells me he bought them in the 80s and they have been in the Bank Box for 25 years. So for your viewing (drooling) pleasure, and feel free to guess what PCGS will do with them....

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see some genuine holders in your friend's future.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    And on some of those dates a Genuine holder would be OK.

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I see some genuine holders in your friend's future. >>

image >>

If he's lucky.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

I don't.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I will say the 1895 made me go OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like they ran into some water or liquid chemicals at some point
    interesting look to them.

I dont see PCGS liking them very much tho

ps.is that first 93 a CC?, if so whats up with the mintmark?
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    They're all recently AT'd, imho. A waste of money to submit them.

edited to add: Go ahead and send in the '93-S. But it looks like it has the "s" glued on?? I won't even guess on the CC's.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is that 96-s PL under the tone?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

I see some genuine holders in your friend's future.

That may not be possible for the 1893 S ..... what's up with the Mint Mark ! was it added?

The 1895 O is fantastic ... no opinion though rather PCGS will grade it.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Your buddy knew how to pick good dates!
    I like the 93-cc..I believe it will grade in those tones.
    Looks like the 79-cc will grade.
    The rest....well when you get um back post the grades.
    Good luck!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any drool quality toners outside of the 95-0 and there is a better chance of getting a glass of ice water in hell than there is of getting that into a PCGS holder.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Story sounds a little made up to me. Do you know this guy well? --Jerry
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice choice of coins to collect. I think they will all grade at PCGS. All look completely original to my eye.

79 will AU53
    84 will AU55
    93 will EF40
    93s will VF35 Do you see the diagnostics? I see the die scratch in the leaf but not the one in the T
    95 will EF45
    96 will MS63

very nice,
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

If he's lucky. >>

Do you think some of the coins are counterfeit or have added mint-marks? If not, your remark doesn't make any sense to me. And if so, I think you are mistaken.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark
    Could #1 & 5 be a NT 2nd toning?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all genuine except perhaps the 93-cc.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    I think the obvious question is: Why isn't the "dealer" buddy submitting the coins himself?
    imageRIP
  • Options

<< <i>I think the obvious question is: Why isn't the "dealer" buddy submitting the coins himself? >>

Simple, I'm a PCGS dealer and he isn't...

• Options
    that 95 o should be
    confiscated and given
    to a toner nut wow O wow.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark
    Could #1 & 5 be a NT 2nd toning? >>

Based on the toning/color considerations, I think # 1, 3 and 4 have the best chances of receiving grades.
  • Options
    Something else to consider, if they come back QT from PCGS, do you send them to NCS and say strip the toning?

• Options
    If you submit them as one big group, the chances are that even the most believable ones will be GENUINE'ed by association.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Wear and toning don't go together well for me.

I see genuine holders with artificial color/altered surfaces as the best outcome. No comment on authenticity of them all.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    All of the coins appear to be genuine. The date position on the 1893-S is correct, and I am pretty sure I am seeing the die polish line in the 'T'. As for any given grading service accepting the toning as original, I really do not have a good guess, although the 1884-S and the 1895-O are the most questionable to me. Even if PCGS does not grade any of them, I believe each coin will find a collector happy to own them.
  • Options

<< <i>They're all recently AT'd, imho. A waste of money to submit them. >>

Agreed. Doesn't always mean they won't grade though, but some of these are particularly bad.
  • Options

<< <i>

Agreed. Doesn't always mean they won't grade though, but some of these are particularly bad. >>

OK, look up a 1884-S in MS grade. QT or not that coin should be in a holder.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    All look rather icky. Good luck; some will come back graded, some will come back gennie.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will say the 1895 made me go OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! image >>

The 1895 will be the first to BB.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agreed. Doesn't always mean they won't grade though, but some of these are particularly bad. >>

OK, look up a 1884-S in MS grade. QT or not that coin should be in a holder. >>

Even if you believe the 1884-S to be MS, which I do not, the coin would not receive a grade opinion if it were placed in a genuine holder. Additionally, in the AU level and below it is a common coin despite its $200+ AU Greysheet value.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    This looks like fun, so I'll take a stab at each coin.

1879 cc - ms60- will grade
    1884 s - au 58 details- questionable toning (Is it just me, or does the neck on the eagle look a little skinny?)
    1893-cc- xf45- will grade
    1893-s - vf30 details- cleaned and retoned
    1895-o - au53 details- questionable toning
    1896-s- ms63- will grade- this coin looks really nice in the pics

Let us know the results!!

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ask for all the fees and to and from postage up front.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    IMO the 84s and 95o will get details gradings. The 96s looks NT but certain spots of it look AT so ima say 50/50 shot. The rest should holder.
  • Options
    Not one of the coins looks remotely NT but one or two of them might stick to the ceiling if you submit them one at a time enough times. Although keydates that people will be looking as gap fillers for a cheep price they are kind of junky. I do not believe that envelope 25 year nonsense for one second.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Some of the Morgans have clear shadows around the stars which indicate natural toning.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they should all grade. Whether they will or not is highly questionable.

The 1895 would be the first casualty.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After re-reading this thread I have to ask.
    Would some of the posters that seem so sure these are AT'd please explain they're reasoning.

No offense intended, as it does not matter to me either way.
    Just trying to learn.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter if they're AT if the services are currently exceptionally tight on toning, they might bag/"genny" regardless.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

....ditto. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW... I think the 93-S has the proper diagnostics ("1" centered over the dentil and I think I see the die chip at "T" in Liberty). I'm not a huge fan of the splotchy toning, but I've seen worse holder... L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    I think they look ok (the 1895-O is the most questionable).. some might have accelerated toning.. you never know until you submit.. I wouldn't submit the 1895-O, it might give them the wrong idea but I've seen a lot of worse ones in holders.. anyone care to post pics of NT ones (ones they knew for sure) that were slabbed as genuine?
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    drool

any more in the box?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    In a few weeks

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why doesn't your coin dealer buddy submit his own coins? Is he on their "dealers to watch out for" list?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Why doesn't your coin dealer buddy submit his own coins? Is he on their "dealers to watch out for" list?image >>

I answered that question last page.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1879-CC-----MS61.
    1884-S-----MS63.
    1893-CC-----Genuine, Questionable Color.
    1893-S-----VF35.
    1895-O-----AU55.
    1896-S-----Genuine, Environmental Damage.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why doesn't your coin dealer buddy submit his own coins? Is he on their "dealers to watch out for" list?image >>

I answered that question last page. >>

Whoops. I missed that. If your buddy is a coin dealer, why isn't he also a PCGS member? Er....never mind.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Not all coin dealers are PCGS dealers you know....

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They're all recently AT'd, imho. A waste of money to submit them. . >>

Just because the coins are funky looking does not necessarily mean they are AT's. I think they most likely got that way from the Kraft envelopes, so probably "NT" but not "MA". However, if coins 1 and 3 were submitted separately, they might grade.

It might be worth looking to having NCS "conserve" the ones that get the "QT" tag.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the obvious question is: Why isn't the "dealer" buddy submitting the coins himself? >>

Simple, I'm a PCGS dealer and he isn't... >>

This famous quote is one of my favorites:

"brevity is the soul of wit".

From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1602:

LORD POLONIUS
    This business is well ended.
    My liege, and madam, to expostulate
    What majesty should be, what duty is,
    Why day is day, night night, and time is time,
    Were nothing but to waste night, day and time.
    Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
    And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
    I will be brief: your noble son is mad:
    Mad call I it; for, to define true madness,
    What is't but to be nothing else but mad?
    But let that go.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file