Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should there be a "Coin Dealers licences?"

We require licences for other professional services, why not Coin Dealers?

Would it help clean up some of the shady dealers out there?

Comments

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    No, and no...
  • Options

<< <i>No, and no... >>

Why not ? It seems a fair enough suggestion.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    It has been looked at before, but who would do the licensing? Who would come up with the requirements?

There was never any consensus of opinion and it never went anywhere.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082

I think that if coin dealers will shower more frequently and wash their hair (those that have hair), they will not have “lice” and will not need “licences.”
  • Options
    The obvious choice might be the big grading companies.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Yes. My barber needs a license before he is allowed to give Longacre a coiffure. Given the dollar values involved withe coins, and the "financial" aspect of them (although we all know that dealers do not give financial advice), there should be license requirements, a test, ethics rules, and mandatory CLE each year. Given that coins are a financial market, perhaps the SEC should regulate dealer activities. I am open to other recommendations.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    that sounds like an idea coming from one of the few coin dealer schools in the country
  • Options

<< <i>We require licences for other professional services, why not Coin Dealers?

Would it help clean up some of the shady dealers out there? >>

You know...it might come to it , if its the only way to beat the counterfeiters.Theres a huge problem brewing with imported fakes in american hands,it isnt going away.
  • Options
    Absolutely should be licenses and they should be sponsored by either the federal government or the major TPG's should start a division..

I'm all for it!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horrible idea. I guess if you hate the hobby, you would be all for it.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Bad idea, what, a state agency to watch over them?????image
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Kind of a funny question though. Sort of like saying there should be a licence for auto theft, finding money on the street, selling at a garage/yard/estate sale, used auto salepeople, flea marketers, telemarketers, etc. Just to many different types of so called professions out there. If you go to a lot of coin shows, gun shows, knife shows, cameral shows, computer shows, etc. you would see there alone the licenses would be extensive and almost impossible to monitor.
    Carl
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, maybe the government could hire another 50,000 bureaucrats and we could pay twice as much per transaction. Real smart. Not!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. My barber needs a license before he is allowed to give Longacre a coiffure. Given the dollar values involved withe coins, and the "financial" aspect of them (although we all know that dealers do not give financial advice), there should be license requirements, a test, ethics rules, and mandatory CLE each year. Given that coins are a financial market, perhaps the SEC should regulate dealer activities. I am open to other recommendations. >>

I'll sell you a roll of brown wheaties for a buck and a half, plus shipping. (just not on Sundays)
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should jewelers be licensed? How about grocers? Salespeople at The Gap? Should anyone who sells anything have a license?
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see PCGS/NGC/ANACS/ANA/PNG become a lot more choosy about who they accept as one of their registered dealers. The requirements currently used, in my opinion, are not nearly strict enough. I would even like to see a criminal background check required, along with a credit check.

If someone wants to be called a coin dealer, but not show affiliation with any of the above organizations, that would be fine. There is really no way to stop them from calling themselves coin dealers. The top coin dealers would show affiliation to all of the above organizations, and be proud to do so.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>Should jewelers be licensed? How about grocers? Salespeople at The Gap? Should anyone who sells anything have a license? >>

To a certain degree they already do , in most retail situations the staff have to undergo training , often weeks of it.Im not saying all , but the big guns all do.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Should jewelers be licensed? How about grocers? Salespeople at The Gap? Should anyone who sells anything have a license? >>

To a certain degree they already do , in most retail situations the staff have to undergo training , often weeks of it.Im not saying all , but the big guns all do. >>

Licensing, to me, implies an independent agency to check credentials and qualifications. Spending a week interning behind the counter and learning the ropes at Joe's Coin and Bait shop would likely not count.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Re: Longacre’s comment about his hair stylist.

While a professional occupational license is commonly required to cut hair, none is needed to shear the sheep at a coin show.

Dealers are subject to the same retail trade and local business operating licenses as other businesses. It is only a few – largely those affecting personal health/hygiene or finance – for which a separate professional competency license is necessary. With coin collecting being a hobby for most, it does not seem to fit into the area that would suggest either special credentials or regulatory oversight.

Bottom line: No.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

To a certain degree they already do , in most retail situations the staff have to undergo training , often weeks of it.Im not saying all , but the big guns all do. >>

Licensing, to me, implies an independent agency to check credentials and qualifications. Spending a week interning behind the counter and learning the ropes at Joe's Coin and Bait shop would likely not count. >>

The reality is far different.As i say , not all have the same standards , but the big respected ones do , and it would go on an employees resume as a qualification.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the government were to require coin dealers to be licensed, I would think that restrictions would be placed on all non-licensed individuals, including collectors. In fact, collectors would probably be barred from selling coins to anyone but a licensed dealer.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Yes, more Government is the answer to everything...it fixes all problems and is the best way to have things done legally! image

P.S.
    How would one control eBay or a BST board here? What constitutes a dealer? How many coins they sell per year? The dollar amount they sell per year? The idea is horrible if you ask me. I would exit this hobby in a heartbeat.
  • Options

<< <i>If the government were to require coin dealers to be licensed, I would think that restrictions would be placed on all non-licensed individuals, including collectors. In fact, collectors would probably be barred from selling coins to anyone but a licensed dealer. >>

The dealers and auctioneers would benefit tremendously. Maybe you should work within the PNG and ANA to promote the idea!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We require licences for other professional services, why not Coin Dealers?

Would it help clean up some of the shady dealers out there? >>

Name the shady dealers and I will tell you if it would help.
    I know some shady contractors and the license didn't help a bit.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. My barber needs a license before he is allowed to give Longacre a coiffure. Given the dollar values involved withe coins, and the "financial" aspect of them (although we all know that dealers do not give financial advice), there should be license requirements, a test, ethics rules, and mandatory CLE each year. Given that coins are a financial market, perhaps the SEC should regulate dealer activities. I am open to other recommendations. >>

hahahahahaha, this is sooooo funny!image

Your barber deals with health issues from the aforementioned lice to shingles and other transmitted diseases. They truly need to be
    educated and informed to do their job without spreading problems. I think your idea is good for coin doctors, though.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I have to pay for my medical license, so it's only fair that coin dealers help support our bureaucratic infrastructure as well.

As a side benefit, it may lead to an agency that can handle grievances and complaints, unlike the ANA and PNG who have no real power.
  • Options

<< <i>The obvious choice might be the big grading companies. >>

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a voluntary licensing program would be good, maybe that's what PNG is supposed to be. I'd like to see Coin World and Numismatic News have to flag ads that are not from "licensed" dealers. Seems silly that crooks have been advertising since the 60's and there's never a way to deal with it.

Some states have separate bullion dealer licenses but I think enforcement is weak to non-existent. In fact, I've heard that only licensed dealers ever get hassled.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think dealers should be registered and have a place where they can get an atta boy or take a hit as a bad boy. jmho
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think dealers should be registered and have a place where they can get an atta boy or take a hit as a bad boy.

You mean like this forum?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Selling new US bullion coins to the public requires a license, in a sense----------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Licensed dealers would be even more arrogant and condescending than they are now.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still wondering who would issue the licence and who would have to have it?
    And I find that having a drivers licence does not make one a good or bad driver.
    So what does it mean to be a Licenced Coin Person.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said no and I will remain in the NO camp

This is a Hobby- government needs to focus on things that they already seem unable to handle-

I want an energy policy that involves a plan that compares to what T Boone Pickens promoted-

Health Care-

Education-

I do not want this to turn into a political debate- but lets remember what is important. There are a few questionable dealers but collectors need to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their actions (where have we heard that before?)

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i think dealers should be registered and have a place where they can get an atta boy or take a hit as a bad boy.

You mean like this forum? >>

this is a good start, but it does not cover the everything
  • Options

<< <i>Should there be a "Coin Dealers licences?"

I think that if coin dealers will shower more frequently and wash their hair (those that have hair), they will not have “lice” and will not need “licences.” >>

• Options

<< <i>Re: Longacre’s comment about his hair stylist.

While a professional occupational license is commonly required to cut hair, none is needed to shear the sheep at a coin show.

Dealers are subject to the same retail trade and local business operating licenses as other businesses. It is only a few – largely those affecting personal health/hygiene or finance – for which a separate professional competency license is necessary. With coin collecting being a hobby for most, it does not seem to fit into the area that would suggest either special credentials or regulatory oversight.

Bottom line: No. >>

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, simple reason.......this is a HOBBY!image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Its a funny thing, those that issue or make laws requiring the licences have positions that don't require licenses themselves.

In many cases, not all, licences tend to become only reveune streams for some level of authority.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely!! We all need to know our place and what a better way to solidify who is on which side of the table than to license who gets to sell. Perhaps we should also license who gets to purchase as well. That way we can segregate "licensed buyers" from "licensed sellers" and the "wannabes" just go poof!
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

<< <i>Given the dollar values involved withe coins, and the "financial" aspect of them (although we all know that dealers do not give financial advice), there should be license requirements, a test, ethics rules, and mandatory CLE each year. Given that coins are a financial market, perhaps the SEC should regulate dealer activities. I am open to other recommendations. >>

"What the hell is this 'unauthorized practice' stuff, Judge? All I was trying to do was sell some of my lousy coins on eBay!"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people who sell real estate have to have a license? There are many coins that are worth more than my house.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real Estate also has liabilities associated with it. Testing for radon gas, structural integrity, furnace...ect, ect... These issues aren't associated with coins.
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Real Estate also has liabilities associated with it. Testing for radon gas, structural integrity, furnace...ect, ect... These issues aren't associated with coins. >>

Coins also have liabilities associated with it. Counterfeits, overgraded, tooled, ATed, repaired, misrepresented, harshly cleaned, etc.......these issues aren't associated with houses. Like I said---there are many coins that are worth more than most houses.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are a lot of replies against the idea, i wonder if those same members would be against all dealers simply getting their vendors license to set-up at shows. i think if most small shows were "raided" the majority of dealers in attendance would be found to be un-licensed.

it seem like a trivial thing, but it isn't.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this eerie feeling that. Some state governers are thinking.

"Now as soon as everybody has a licence then we know who to collect the sales taxes from."

And city Mayors are thinking.

"Now we know who to charge for a business licence."
  • Options
    NEVER HAPPEN !

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    There is already a business license requirement. Why add more?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file