Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eyeing up this piece. $1 Pattern

So I decided to go big this time. Pretty bad scans from the seller but you can tell there is a lot of emerald green. image

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems cool and nice...but really hard to tell for sure from those pics.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that made of copper?That is a nice design.Patterns are awesome and what I would collect if my budget allowed.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to participate in the bidding for the PCGS PR-65 J-1550A that Stack's is offering at B'more, but I expect the hammer price may reach five figures. Shoulda coulda woulda kept my PCGS PR-61.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fueling the market and scratching an itch image

Just messing with you! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Fueling the market and scratching an itch image

Just messing with you! imageimage >>

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My, that it is a big coin.

Link to Heritage auction, in which there are additional photos.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    If ya got a spare 20k
  • Options

<< <i>If ya got a spare 20k >>

It probably won't get you that coin. It is offered for considerably more.

My public advice to the OP would be to go slowly and carefully into patterns. Many, like this one, are very thinly traded. This coin has been on the market for over a year, so that should tell you something. Bonne chance!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My public advice to the OP would be to go slowly and carefully into patterns. Many, like this one, are very thinly traded. This coin has been on the market for over a year, so that should tell you something. >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>My public advice to the OP would be to go slowly and carefully into patterns. Many, like this one, are very thinly traded. This coin has been on the market for over a year, so that should tell you something. Bonne chance! >>

Good point and great advice.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If ya got a spare 20k >>

It probably won't get you that coin. It is offered for considerably more.

My public advice to the OP would be to go slowly and carefully into patterns. Many, like this one, are very thinly traded. This coin has been on the market for over a year, so that should tell you something. Bonne chance! >>

yea after looking at the heritage auction picture im looking elsewhere
  • Options

<< <i>Thinl market warning, now yah tell me, my entire colelction is thinly traded, what else is new! If you don't go for Morgans and Lincolns and Bust Halves wouldn't you say your exactly in the same boat, well almostimage
    My advice is buy and enjoy what you are interested in and forget about the future selling of them. >>

i couldnt agree more. Most of the coins in my collection that have lasted this long wont leave my collection till i take a dirt nap. image
  • Options

<< <i>Thinl market warning, now yah tell me, my entire colelction is thinly traded, what else is new! If you don't go for Morgans and Lincolns and Bust Halves wouldn't you say your exactly in the same boat, well almostimage
    My advice is buy and enjoy what you are interested in and forget about the future selling of them. >>

I agree...mostly.

However, the main point I think RYK was making and I reiterated was go slowly and carefully...take your time and make sure you fully understand what you're getting into before you spend a lot of money.

And Realone, I think this is just what you did before you started building your current collection.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

Patterns are not even on the Greysheet, so you are really setting sail on your own by collecting them. At least your coins would be bought by most dealers or collectors.
  • Options

<< <i>

Patterns are not even on the Greysheet, so you are really setting sail on your own by collecting them. At least your coins would be bought by most dealers or collectors. >>

Patterns are for a select bunch, there is no graysheet because they are an acquired taste and there's really no set prices for them.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wish i had the money to bid on things like that
  • Options

<< <i>Patterns are for a select bunch, there is no graysheet because they are an acquired taste and there's really no set prices for them. >>

The same is basically true for the colonial era coins that I collect. So don't get me wrong...if patterns make your heart beat faster, then I say go for it! Just be careful. Look and learn before you leap.

• Options
    Patterns are for a select bunch, there is no graysheet because they are an acquired taste and there's really no set prices for them.

While there is no set price for them (there are prices listed in the Pattern Red Book, but these often just reflect the most recent sale), by studying these issues, the designs, relative rarity, and the public sales, you can get a feel for what they are worth. The coin in the OP is worth about $12-14k to me, and, yes, I have seen it in person. I do not care much for it at that price, but I think the value is reasonable at that level.

Unless you are like Realone and have a limitless supply of money, what you pay for coins does matter, even if you keep them forever. When the next coin comes along, and you have to pass for lack of funds because they are tied up in a coin that you overpaid for, you will know exactly what I mean. If you do have limitless funds, buy whatever you like. Why not?
  • Options

<< <i>Patterns are for a select bunch, there is no graysheet because they are an acquired taste and there's really no set prices for them.

While there is no set price for them (there are prices listed in the Pattern Red Book, but these often just reflect the most recent sale), by studying these issues, the designs, relative rarity, and the public sales, you can get a feel for what they are worth. The coin in the OP is worth about $12-14k to me, and, yes, I have seen it in person. I do not care much for it at that price, but I think the value is reasonable at that level.

Unless you are like Realone and have a limitless supply of money, what you pay for coins does matter, even if you keep them forever. When the next coin comes along, and you have to pass for lack of funds because they are tied up in a coin that you overpaid for, you will know exactly what I mean. If you do have limitless funds, buy whatever you like. Why not? >>

well i can thankfully say im in a very good financial point of my life image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Patterns are for a select bunch, there is no graysheet because they are an acquired taste and there's really no set prices for them.

Unless you are like Realone and have a limitless supply of money, what you pay for coins does matter, even if you keep them forever. When the next coin comes along, and you have to pass for lack of funds because they are tied up in a coin that you overpaid for, you will know exactly what I mean. If you do have limitless funds, buy whatever you like. Why not? >>

well i can thankfully say im in a very good financial point of my life image >>

Excellent. Offer him him $50k for it. It will make him very pleased. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

well i can thankfully say im in a very good financial point of my life image >>

Excellent. Offer him him $50k for it. It will make him very pleased. image >>

image i offered him 16 for it. He probably wont take it but even at that price after seeing heritages pictures i wouldnt want it. I would be better off buying 3-4 nice examples rather than 1 hugely expensive one.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very sound advice here.

Many collectors buy coins they expect to keep forever. But tastes and collecting interests change, financial status moves around, etc.

I second the good advice you're getting here. Go slowly and do your homework. Brace for swings in demand and price.
    Lance.
  • Options
    That is a beauty, congrats!!! Get a good photo up when you can. The price is probably what keeps me from getting more patterns, but the market for them is something to consider. If you ever think, or the possibility exists, that you would want to liquidate quickly, it could cost you some money. If money isn't an issue, have a ball!!image

Heres another ex-Lemus piece.
    Its in an PF65 PCGS holder, lost a grade when it crossed over from NGC.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many, like this one, are very thinly traded. This coin has been on the market for over a year, so that should tell you something.

Like many "thinly traded" items, it's not unusual for a pattern to sit on the market for a year or two. Don't let that scare you. But it's still easy to overpay for a pattern if you're not careful.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that made of copper?

J-1214 is supposed to be silver. (More info here. But either way, there are about six known.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Like many "thinly traded" items, it's not unusual for a pattern to sit on the market for a year or two. Don't let that scare you.

I have seen patterns sit on the market for several years, and it scares the crap out of me. image
  • Options

<< <i>Like many "thinly traded" items, it's not unusual for a pattern to sit on the market for a year or two. Don't let that scare you.

I have seen patterns sit on the market for several years, and it scares the crap out of me. image >>

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I love that obverse design! I currently have to pattern coins, both of which I love:

NGC PF 62BN Lemus Collection; J-168
    imageimage

ANACS AU 50 1858 1C J-208

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file