Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about 2008 Bowman Chrome for the modern crew

Can I get the Jason Heyward autograph card #BCP121 and all of its variations (different refractors/xfractor/etc..) from 2008 Bowman Chrome Hobby? May be a dumb question but I haven't bought any modern stuff in years. Also, what are the chances I will pull one if I buy a case? Other good hits? Thanks for all the info. in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Yes it is a dumb question. Zero chance of getting them all from one hobby case if that is what you are asking. I may be wrong with the numbers but I think there are only 12 boxes per case and only one auto per box with over 100 different players that are auto'd.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes it is a dumb question. Zero chance of getting them all from one hobby case if that is what you are asking. I may be wrong with the numbers but I think there are only 12 boxes per case and only one auto per box with over 100 different players that are auto'd. >>

no, I'm asking if that card is even available in regular Bowman Chrome Hobby. I know that there is Bowman Chrome Draft Picks, etc... I'm just not familiar with all of the hundreds of varieties of modern cards. Lol, even I know I can't get all the Jason Heyward variations from one case, damn. If you'll look at my original post it says "what are the chances I will pull ONE from a case"
  • Options
    Well then, yes. The Heyward would be in the regular Bowman Chrome and not the Draft Pick boxes. Card #'s for Draft Pick are #BDPPxxx
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    thanks. Are there any other decent hits in Bowman Chrome? I know there is a Beckham auto and the red/orange refractors are good. Anywhere I can find stated odds for these? I'm thinking about buying a case for $@#$ and giggles.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Breaking wax (foil) will be excessively costly and will make paying $60-100 per card appear cheap. I've been picking up nicely centered '08 Auto's when auctions lag or I can find them at a show (the rare times I venture out anymore).

The kid appears to be the real deal, but I would suspect that with the current hype, there should be a dip as he starts the season. Being that his power will continue to develop, there may be opportunities to purchase shortly after the season starts and Heyward's numbers fail to live up to the incredible hype. But then again, if he pulls a Kevin Maas and puts 'em over the wall out of the gate, we may not see double digit pricing for awhile.

The kid has a sweet stroke and I hope he focuses on hitting line drives in the gaps and let's the home runs take care of themselves.

Good luck (to both of us).
  • Options
    I agree with Scott. Don't get too excited yet. The hype is pushing his prices up. If he makes his big league debut this year, his card values will go up before he even takes his first swing. A hot streak will cause the prices to peak. However, he is still a kid and almost guaranteed to struggle for a little while in his first season. This will drive down the prices and be a good time to buy. Patience is a must.

For comparison, the hype is almost identical to another Braves prospect last year Jordan Schafer. Bowman Chrome rookies were hot because he had a great spring training. Season started with Schafer in the minors and collectors kind of forgot about him. I bought a PSA 10 Bowman Chrome rookie for $15 dlvd. He eventually got called up and got hot for a few games. Hit 2 HRs in his first week. Same $15 card was selling for $50-75. He started swinging for the fences and got in a major slump. Didn't hit another HR for the rest of the season. Same card went back down to $10-15.
  • Options
    I may be wrong but I believe Heyward was in 2008 bowman and not 2008 bowman chrome. I am pretty sure I pulled an auto from a Jumbo pack.

Matt
  • Options
    Heyward was in the Bowman Chrome. Check eBay. 2008 BC autos selling for a lot more than 2007 Bowman Sterling and Donruss Elite autos. Makes no sense other than perceived "rarity".
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Heyward actually has his RC in the 2007 Bowman Chrome DP&Prospects (BDPP#54) and his auto is in the 2008 Bowman Prospects (BCP#121) Two sweet cards, when you can find them, are his 2006 Topps AFLAC from Bowman Prospects and the 2008 Bowman Draft AFLAC Auto. They were reasonable up until a few weeks ago, now they're getting insane.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Just look for well centered 9's...then there are two ways you can profit.

Wouldn't buy them now, though. This is usually the time to sell.
  • Options
    2008 bowman........It's in those boxes. With that product, you actually received a few bowman chrome cards in the pack and within those few chrome cards, that's where you would possibly find the heyward auto. In 2007 Bowman Draft, Heyward has his first initial bowman card. However, since it's not auto'd, collectors are either going after his 2007 bowman sterling auto or his 2008 bowman chrome auto.

With that being said, I think the best value is to buy 2008 bowman draft. It has autos of Beckham, Stanton, Montero, Reddick......Longoria and Kershaw "RC" autos and others just to name a few.

DES1984