Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1821 Large Cent Chinese fake on Ebay

coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
This fake was discussed in the latest edition of Coin World. Bad timing on the seller's part.

Link

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.
    Is there any way to get a link to the CW article?
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    When is our government going to start putting real pressure on the Chinese government to start cracking down on the people who are manufacturing these items? They (the Chinese) seem to be doing a good job of stopping their population from doing other activities (such as having multiple children). Maybe we should form a voice here that can be heard loud enough to get the ANA and PNG to take notice, and then, we could get someone(s) to represent us before Congress to get our elected officials to do something on OUR behalf. If seems that we support THEM by buying everything that the Mint puts out every year! Who's in?!?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    the Canadians could do it

our problem is the Chinese government owns too much of the United States debt

it is hard to tell your banker what to do, unless you have another banker lined up
  • Options
    HMM....The only negative feedback this seller has is for a Chinese coin............
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options
    Does anyone here want to form a unified voice and try to get PCGS and NGC behind us so that we can attempt to stop the proliferation of this garbage which will ultimately destroy this hobby/business? It always starts grassroots/community(in this case, coin community)activist(s). Enough is enough! Let's put our mouths where are money is!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone here want to form a unified voice and try to get PCGS and NGC behind us so that we can attempt to stop the proliferation of this garbage which will ultimately destroy this hobby/business? It always starts grassroots/community(in this case, coin community)activist(s). Enough is enough! Let's put our mouths where are money is! >>

Build it and they will come.
  • Options
    Okay then. Who here is willing to sign on for our Congress to put pressure on the Chinese govt. to curb the production and influx of this carp?

Gary
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When is our government going to start putting real pressure on the Chinese government to start cracking down on the people who are manufacturing these items? They (the Chinese) seem to be doing a good job of stopping their population from doing other activities (such as having multiple children). Maybe we should form a voice here that can be heard loud enough to get the ANA and PNG to take notice, and then, we could get someone(s) to represent us before Congress to get our elected officials to do something on OUR behalf. If seems that we support THEM by buying everything that the Mint puts out every year! Who's in?!? >>

I believe fake coins is really small potatoes for both govts and probably isn't even on either radar screen. How many billions of dollars worth of fakes are we talking here? --Jerry
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>Okay then. Who here is willing to sign on for our Congress to put pressure on the Chinese govt. to curb the production and influx of this carp? >>

Not I. A million and one other things Congress needs to worry about.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Jerry, it really does not make a difference yet, but I'm willing to bet that it will, soon enough! No time like the present to raise our voices. Counterfeiting brand name handbags, perfumes and the like sure gets the attention of our govt. It's time we made our voices heard LOUD and CLEAR that we WILL NOT sit still while this continues!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Okay then. Who here is willing to sign on for our Congress to put pressure on the Chinese govt. to curb the production and influx of this carp? >>

Not I. A million and one other things Congress needs to worry about. >>

Well then ,I hope you will not be one to complain about what the long term effects this will have on numismatics if nothing gets done with regards to the slow down to complete halt of this garbage. Take note, because THERE WILL BE LONG TERM detriments to numismatics that will be far less than NON desirable!!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>This fake was discussed in the latest edition of Coin World. Bad timing on the seller's part.

Link >>

If it is a fake somebodies going to be mighty upset , the bidding has climbed considerably from this mornings 2 bucks.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not I. A million and one other things Congress needs to worry about. >>

Well then ,I hope you will not be one to complain about what the long term effects this will have on numismatics if nothing gets done with regards to the slow down to complete halt of this garbage. Take note, because THERE WILL BE LONG TERM detriments to numismatics that will be far less than NON desirable!! >>

Caveat emptor.

Awareness in the hobby is what we need. Kudos to CoinWorld for taking multiple efforts in investigating and publishing information on counterfeits.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Reported and message sent to seller - thanks.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>our problem is the Chinese government owns too much of the United States debt >>

Yup. Debtors can't be choosers.

On the plus side... it's a really, really bad fake.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>our problem is the Chinese government owns too much of the United States debt >>

Yup. Debtors can't be choosers.

On the plus side... it's a really, really bad fake. >>

She does have a "hard" look to her face and Liberty is way too prominent,any other tips would be useful to spot a fake.As this one goes into the home run i couldnt help but wonder why the bidder with almost 15000 feedbacks bid this one up, i mean..if its an obvious fake , id think with 15000 feedbacks experience would kick in at some point..or is it schill bidding ?
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One dead giveaway on a fake 1821 is the position of the point of the star nearest the top of the coronet. On the fake it points to the right of the tip of the coronet. On a real 1821 the star point is aimed directly at the tip of the coronet. On the reverse you'll need to compare the positions of the leaf tips below the letters in United States of America.
  • Options

<< <i>One dead giveaway on a fake 1821 is the position of the point of the star nearest the top of the coronet. On the fake it points to the right of the tip of the coronet. On a real 1821 the star point is aimed directly at the tip of the coronet. On the reverse you'll need to compare the positions of the leaf tips below the letters in United States of America. >>

Thanks for that Coinnut , im taking notes now.
  • Options

<< <i>This fake was discussed in the latest edition of Coin World. Bad timing on the seller's part.

Link >>

Not a bad days work , and thats all it was.I reckon it was the 1 day option cos the seller knew he could fly below the radar and the auction ends before its scuppered by reports.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file