Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I don't know. Maybe I should quit buying coins like this....

I got it from Colin Cooke; about $44 if I remember correctly.

It's got a small mark in a prominent area(cheek) that will keep it out of 65
but hopefully it will qualify as a 64.

But the mark isn't the problem; the toning is.

I seriously doubt that this particular dealer would doctor the coin, but the problem is
that toning just looks too good-to me at least.

So I risk yet another AT body bag.

What do you think?

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    60% chance of BB.

Still, a nice looking piece.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It looks ok to me, but probably 50-50 to a TPG.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've seen a lot of British pennies in my day, some toned, none toned that way.

While attractive, it would make me nervous. The toning, as you say, looks a little too good, too neat.

It seems to have the toning that is more natural to a silver piece.

Most natural toning is, how do I say it, a little less structured.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it- unfortunately, as much as I think the color is NT based on storage, others may disagree- the others (TPG)that may disagree are more important than me

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    NT and PCGS will grade it MS64RB.
  • Options
    I wonder if PCGS has a "grading set" with examples of certifiable natural toning.

If not, I really hope they're working on it. It gets very difficult having to send coins
    that you know without a shadow of a doubt are naturally toned only to have them
    body bagged.

I see "Genuines" on Teletrade all the time and many of them are so laughably doctored
    they have to be easily separated from coins like the cent I have up.

Raymond Wayte and other cardboard holders holders deliver this kind of toning and
    so do cardboard mint sets.

I know the graders have seen hundreds if not thousands of naturally toned coins and
    they are smart professionals.

Just looks like they could be a little more precise in separating the wheat from the chaff...

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    Whatever the end result, that is one beautiful penny!
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I dunno.. looks like a great quality coin and I can see how the colors could develop from the holder (it's different from heat or applied chemical toning), but I just associate that kind of coloration and pattern with AT coins.. I don't think I'd be able to love it for that reason.

Edit - things like this get me wondering when we're going to get back to considering most toning as damage as a result of improper storage (which it actually is, technically speaking). Afterall, pvc contamination is damage from improper storage and we admonish people for it. And toning irreversably changes a coin, but still we don't have the education effort against it like with pvc. It seems to me there are really 3 categories of toning: AT, NT and negligent AT. NT happens in exposure to normal conditions, negligent AT is exposure just the same, but under conditions which are known to accelerate toning or create it in irregular patterns however unintentional. (none of this rant is against your coin CCN, just spewing what comes to mind image )
  • Options
    Almost guarentee you its a paint job. I have ran accross afew myself at dealers tables, one I sent in and it was BB'd. I bought a nice liberty 5 cent once with no 5x available to look see, got it home and examined it wth a 5x and a 10x and it looked very suspicious on the obverse, so I took a clean cotton soft cloth and started to gently rub the obervse and the nice golden hue that was in the center pretty quickly came right off. It sure wasnt' natural toning that rubbed off. They are out there and being sold by trustworthy appearing and sounding gentlemen. Buyer beware.

If you submit please let us know the outcome, we can all learn from it.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac