Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Fake 5 ounce silver pandas

These ones must have been modeled after Planet of the Apes.

Linky 1

Linky 2

Comments

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Hmm.. no denom? I wonder if this is China's version of cracking down on counterfeits?

Also, despite the sloppy design, that's gotta take some investment in equipment to make.. I wonder if it actually is up to standard on the metal content and they're just trying to profit off the collector value (actually, I've been wondering this about all counterfeit pandas)

And while I'm saying "I wonder".. I wonder what those 8 bidders are thinking?!
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    People unfamiliar with the series can be easily taken by these "coins" since they're usually advertised as real coins. I admit having been fooled as well by some of the one ounce "coins". It makes my blood boil, but I was gullible and ignorant, thus easy prey.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The first one seems to be based on the 1 troz gold 1988 China Basel Coin Show Commem Panda

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    At first glance...

1-No Denomination
    2-Tree texture is all wrong
    3-The eyes are not even close to being corrrect
    4-Hair on top of Panda's head all wrong
    5-Ears are more rounded on real Panda
    6-Real Panda-Temple of Heaven has actual steps
    instead of wheelchair looking ramps.

Although they had a 1987 5 ouncer of the same design. This one imo is
    a terrible counterfeit.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I just looked at the auction again, and under Item specifics the seller lists the TYPE as ART Round.

But,...The big bold red print says "LARGE 5 OZ .999 SILVER CHINESE COIN IN ITS ORIGINAL CAPSULE."
    That description would indicate to me that it's a China Mint authorized coin.

Misleading at best...
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...