Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Greek coin inscription help?

I recently received a large lot from the Middle East. About 200+ late Roman with Antioch and Alexandria mints, two Judean, 20+ Seleukid, Persian and Islamic, 8 Cilician Crusader, and 13 Greek. I usually do not try to identify Greek coins but I now have one that intrigues me. It is low grade and the scans that I am posting do not show the reverse detail very well. What intrigues me is that the reverse inscription possibly refers to the city of Ioulis on Keos in the Cyclades. Maybe one of you experts can dispel or confirm this notion. I am posting only clear letters. Will not let me post actual greek. Any help is appreciated. Thanks-
Obv. Radiate head right. Rev. Standing figure appears to have a staff or spear. Partial legends line one on right rim _OYLIE_, line two__NKA, line three DO, line four on left rim __OAI__or OLI_. 19mm and 4.9 grams. Not much to go on but I have heard that a couple of you guys are inscription super stars.

Comments

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Χτυπήστε εδώ (="Click here") to type the greek characters, then copy & paste over here image

I'm useless on stuff this old, but we do have some pros here who'll come along shortly I'm sure. Welcome to the forum! image
  • Thanks for the tip- the experts- if they get on- should be able to figure out which greek letters I meant. I thaught I uploaded pictures. Evidently I did something wrong.
  • Let do it this way-
    Line one _ Omicron?, Upsilon, Lambda, Iota, Epsilon. _
    Line two __ M or NKA
    Line three Gamma, and looks like omicron
    Line four __ OLI__ or OAI__

Out until tomorrow- Hope I get some help but reaise I am not giving you much to go on except for the possible iota, omicron, upsilon, iota, epsilon
    Thanks