Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

8k gold mini coins - SOLD

-UPDATE - Thanks to the members that assisted in identifying these gold coins.

They have been sold.

cheers

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    They make soccer cards??? wow...
  • Options

<< <i>They make soccer cards??? wow... >>

yes, since 1897 ...

• Options
    The 3 cards show quite possibly the greatest british players ever.The coins are not nearly as brilliant im afraid , ive never heard of 8k gold , by the description its the little fake mini coins that were rife on ebay , maybe still are.At 8k and the size you can imagine how much gold is involved , if any at all , most are plated.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are modern "wedding tokens". Here's a whole site about these.
  • Options

<< <i>Those are modern "wedding tokens". Here's a whole site about these. >>

JamesMurray - yes the three soccer players are the vest from my youth.

As for the coins - yes they are just like the wedding tokens. Any idea as to the value ? $2 ?
  • Options
    Gerge best was a little before my time , i seem to remember him going to play for Hibernian in Edinburgh when i was young , i think he came out of retirement for that.Dalglish i remember well , King Kenny , the greatest rangers player that never was , he wanted to play for rangers but they didnt want him , he went on to be one of the greatest with rivals celtic.
    Keegan..sure i remember him , anybody that has ever been to hampden for an international meeting with england remembers him.All 3 are class acts.
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Don't follow soccer much but, didn't George Best die a year or so ago penniless?

Also, was he quoted as saying (I'll paraphrase) "I spent my money on booze and Birds, and wasted the rest"?

Please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of this.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    That sounds about right for Georgie , his career was very short really due to his partying , brilliance wasted.
  • Options
    George passed in 2005 - but he was hardly penniless. He had squandered much perhaps, but alos lived 10 lifetimes what others do in one.

Here are the scans of the mini gold coins ... I am looking to sell

• Options
    You might have some luck on ebay with those , as i suggested 8k is so diluted its not even really gold anymore.Thats what amazed me about how commen 9k gold is in the UK , its pretty much the norm and popular , its also worthless.
    Its just like Ratner said right before his jewelry empire went down the toilet.

With Bestie..whether he was broke or not doesnt much matter anymore,i see him more as a tragic figure than a great footballer.One certainly outweighed the other.My memory of him coming to play in scotland for hibs is hibs were heading for relegation and they thought george best could save them , he took off drinking with the french rugby squad and was fired by the club image I wasnt aware he had played in the US , i found that interesting , he also played for a prison team while in the pokey.
  • Options
    James, I am not sure if I would call these coins "worthless". While high rollers might not be interested, they have some collector value. In fact, if anyone has them and feel they are worthless, I'd be glad to pay the postage to take them off their hands.

cheers
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    “I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars,” Best once said. “The rest I just squandered.”

as quoted in GQ
  • Options
    Amen ... it is no surprise that George Best's biography was called "BLESSED"

Just for other interest here is a bit about George and the other great -

RODNEY MARSH
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I remember watching George Best play professional indoor soccer in California duing the early 1980's (towards the end of his career).

Even then he was something special to watch.