Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Graded pack and general Ebay question.. please chime in!

I recently sold an unopened 72 OPC baseball pack slabbed by psa on Ebay. I received this message today ---- "Hi. I got the 72 opc pack today. There is a tear on the top left with a fragment/ piece of gum sticking through. I know that PSA has some problems with their pack holders and gum moving around. This item was packed properly from your end IMO. What should we do ? return ? partial refund ?"
So any pack experts here familiar with this happening and if so would there be any way to stop this from happening? Next, if this is legit, should I be responsible for refunding his money?
Any and all opinions welcome!
Thanks!
Tim
Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    This was discussed a few weeks ago. Anyone have the link to that thread?
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

A graded pack with the gum ripped thru the wrapper is sorta worthless.

The buyer will win a PayPal SNAD-claim.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good deal... I found the previous thread, so this is a common problem. Now the question remains, should I be responsible for it and refund all or part of his money?
  • Options
    Just to add, it was slabbed with Hank Aaron on top, so not sure if it makes it worth that much less?
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good deal... I found the previous thread, so this is a common problem. Now the question remains, should I be responsible for it and refund all or part of his money? >>

//////////////////////

previous thread

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The word "should" is not really relevant.

According to EBAY/PayPal, you ARE responsible to refund.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Storm... I hate it, but duely noted! Thanks for the responses guys. Going to work it out to make my buyer happy!!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem with a PSA graded 1973 wax pack I bought from Fritsch. They issued me a full refund but a few days later we worked out a deal where I got the pack for less than half price. The PSA holders are absolute killers on wax packs. The only way to really try and prevent it from happening is to wrap the pack like Fort Knox in big bubble wrap...I'm talking about six inches minimum cushion on all sides and ship in a box. I haven't had any issues with 75 mini wax I've been receiving that way but there's no sure-fire way to prevent this.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Tim, Common problem, and I have stopped buying graded wax packs because of it. I completely believe your buyers message though that the pack was ripped in transit.

• Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I am the buyer of the pack. This was my first graded pack purchase. I just learned that Tim (Promethius88) is a member here. He just messaged me and offered to refund half the price, which is more than fair. Thank you Tim. I am going to rip the pack and post the scans on this board.
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am the buyer of the pack. This was my first graded pack purchase. I just learned that Tim (Promethius88) is a member here. He just messaged me and offered to refund half the price, which is more than fair. Thank you Tim. I am going to rip the pack and post the scans on this board.

Great solution and very fair I agree! It's actually not too much of an issue if you're planning to rip the pack since this problem has no effect on the cards themselves. The Aaron on top will be ruined by the gum but hopefully the rest of the pack is sharp and the gum didn't bleed through more than the Aaron card, as the 1972 OPC issue is notorious for gum damage through more than just the top card. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Chris, refund has been sent via Paypal. Interesting that 2 of the 3 items I listed last week were purchased by CU members. Wish I would have listed them here first! I really appreciate that Chris was willing to compromise with me and hope you get some good stuff when you tear into it Chris! A stand up guy and would highly reccomend him to anyone who has future dealings with him! Thanks to all who voiced their opinions and I'm hoping PSA works to resolve this issue for all those who collect unopened wax!
    Tim
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    First, glad to hear that it worked out for both of you.

Next, I guess this is the reason I can't bring myself to dabble in vintage packs. You can't trust ANYONE with raw packs it seems, and yet if you try to get a graded pack it's darn near impossible to get it delivered safely. If you HAVE a raw pack, you can't safely get it graded either due to all that travel.

Geez....
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq