Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question for World Coin Collectors

What publications and/or websites do you go to for World Coin news, information and purchases?

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    This forum,Coin World, Auction results. But mostly this forum.
  • Options
    hnai.com, bowersandmerena.com (Ponterio), stacks.com, sedwickcoins.com, goldbercoins.com, rosenblumcoins.com, Louis Hudson, Mike Dunigan, Paul Karon, Ebay for purchases. Krause catalogs Louis Hudson and Mike Dunigan for information.

Edited to add; goldbercoins.com, Louis Hudson, Mike Dunigan, Paul Karon, Ebay for purchases. Krause catalogs Louis Hudson and Mike Dunigan for information.

Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    canadian coin news, rcna journal, Heritage auctions, ebay
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Predecimal.com, www.dnw.co.uk, www.spink.com, www.ha.com, www.sixbid.com, www.baldwin.sh, world coin news, coin world.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    For world coin news, this place is pretty timely.
    Old world coin auction catalogs are invaluable for reference information.
    Heritage, Bowers and Merena, NEN, eBay and CU's Message Board for buying and selling.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Ebay, Standard catalog of World Coins
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vcoins, pater, ma-shops, heritage, bowers for purchasing.
    Forums: This one, cointalk.
  • Options
    Hi Don,
    Interesting question, for me it's quite a list but here are a few:
    For purchases- Germancoins.com, selected ebay sellers, several MA-Shops dealers, Northeast Numismatics, EuroCollections, Harlan J. Berk, and a few of the major auctions... image
    For research- I mostly use the WWW but books, mainly Amazon and occasionally Barnes and Noble or a local dealer.
    And of course- this forum (and a few others, but I don't participate)!
    Jim
  • Options
    Other than some of the ones mentioned the various countries mints webpages are pretty informative.Purchases are an option too.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Since I've restricted myself to a mighty small portion of the coin world, the sites and dealers I use are fairly limited:

This site, DNW, Stacks, Jerry Bobbe/Larry Gale, Bill McKivor, Gary Groll, Allan Davisson, Baldwins

I love finding, reading and collecting Auction Catalogs, even those that are stocked full of US coins. Lots of interesting opportunities to learn something new in auction catalogs. Love Stacks for that reason, they handle a lot of "interesting" stuff not seen at other auction houses.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    British coins:

Books: Spink, Coin Magazine Annual, Collector Coins Great Britain, Coincraft, Michael Gouby's books, Freeman, English Silver Coinage, Davies.
    Magazines: Coin
    Websites: this website, predecimal.com, Tony Clayton's website, Colin G's "aboutfarthings" website (aboutfarthings.co.uk), colincooke.com
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Hi Don,

Thanks for posing the question. It is a good one to view the various responses.

World coin news and pricing history is challenging and not as available as the US material but it is getting better.

For general information, I browse here on a regular basis of course, read the Nummimatist, and occasionally follow the website Mexican coin magic. The website has expired, which was a bummer. I was hoping to contribute an article to it.

For pricing history, I review past auctions from the big auction sites and refer to coinarchives for assistance.

For purchases, I try to stay with reputable dealers and websites along with the occasional ebay purchase.

Keep up the good work on increasing the visability of world coins and let us know how to help the process.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    everything I'd mention is covered here, plus, whatever I can google up looking up a new issue. some are weird so it's really hit or miss with what you find.
  • Options
    For World Coin news, primarily this forum.

For information and purchases...
    Heritage Auctions and Auction Archives,
    One very small section of eBay,
    VCoins,
    PCGS Set Registry,
    and several smallish sites dealing with Philippines coinage under US Administration (including sites created by fellow forum members such as jetBlack74Oil's web site.

Thank you for asking.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like buying at shows

Heritage and Goldberg's for auctions

DNW for auctions too

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    What publications and/or websites do you go to for World Coin news?

This forum is great http://forums.collectors.com it has brought new dimension to my thoughts on coin collecting, communication to other collectors and those that do research and the growing importance of the internet.

I enjoy reading all individuals comments, we are fortunate to live in a democracy that within limitations allows us to pass on information and as we see it.

Honourable members have done proud in listing books and sites, this FORUM for me is developing allow contributions to be brought together and discussed openly.

br
    SwK
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see if a single site could be created with in depth knowledge of the whole (or great portions of the most popular countries/regions) of world coinage. One that could satisfy both the casual collector as well as those who are narrowly focused. Say middle ages to modern coinage. Perhaps a wikipedia type setup were collectors can add to the knowledge base.

Certainly would be a daunting task!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    ANA Magazine, Coin World and World Coin News for publications, books Spink, Seaby and a bunch of out of print volumes. Web sites, CU Forums, Numismaster, Heritage archives for info sites, various dealer sites for buying (Northeast, Heritage, Baldwins, Spink, Vcoins, Sixbid, Rascoins, Goldberg Auctions).
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    There are dozens and dozens of potential informational sources available in this day and age of the internet.
    Any of the ones listed in previous posts would be excellent sources.

To my mind nothing beats the give and take of an educated forum community such as this one.

eBay and other auction sites provide up to the minute exemplars of market mood.

Still and all though, when you have experienced forum members who are willing to share their body of knowledge,
    you have a powerful educational tool that is enjoyable as well.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    I'm only really interested in British, so, this forum, Predecimal & CoinsGB for general discussion. Information comes from my library, a forum, auction house websites, or in the absence of the required detail I'll phone a friend with knowledge in the relevant field. Purchases come from all the major auction houses around the world backed up by research into whatever info I can glean from my library. I also buy from a few major dealers on both sides of the pond and take an occasional dip into eBay, though the ubiquitous dross available tests one's patience to breaking point.
  • Options
    Ebay, Standard catalog of World Coins, German coins. com, Coin world, and most anything auction related... In anything coin related that can give me a price on a coin I desire I am interested in...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is this thread marked as an "Alert Thread"?
  • Options
    Canadian Coin News, Coin News ( incorp Banknote News ), RCNA Bull. ( all as a subscriber ).
    Plus the leading British and North American Auction houses.
    Oh and here image
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Why is this thread marked as an "Alert Thread"?

Perhaps PCGS are planning a World coin Coinfacts and are trying to find out if it will be a viable endeavour?

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is this thread marked as an "Alert Thread"?

Perhaps PCGS are planning a World coin Coinfacts and are trying to find out if it will be a viable endeavour? >>

I would think world coins is absolutely PCGS's growth driver.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if the OP responded with his reasoning,
    perhaps giving us all insight into the future direction PCGS might take.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Many already listed plus china-mint.info, and CNG (probably cng already listed but didn't notice it)
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I used to use coinarchives a lot but now the basic free search doesn't yeild much and to join the 'pro' costs far too much imho.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    For news on New coins, my primary source had been Worldwide Coins magazine, until it was cancelled. Now it's the Numismatist's world coin coverage. I find it lacking though, in that it is mainly about about NCLTs, where my primary interest is in circulating coinage.

For news about old coins (what is going on in the world of non-current issues) it would be right here, CoinTalk, and the CoinsAreFun forum.

For information, it's World Coin Gallery.

For purchases, it's whereever I can find stuff I want that I can afford. I don't add to my collection often. Most comes from buy by the pound occasions, but I have also purchased at a coin show, from the BST here, and off websites. Eventually I plan to do some purchasing from ads in magazines but right now I can't afford to.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Sixbid.com Great source!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The coins that I deal in and collect tend not to be modern issues, so I am not sure you could use the term "news." However, for information I turn to:

The Sear books on Greek, Roman and Greek Imperial coinage.
    Wildwinds
    David Hendin's books on ancient Jewish coinage.

For British coins I use the Spink and Coincraft books and sometimes Krause.

For other world coins I use Krause and various other catalogs.

In addition I will sometimes ask questions here and on a forum maintained by another grading service. I also use Google quite a bit to search for specific information.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Alert thread?

What is an alert thread?imageimage

Collecting coins for design, artistic merit and history really has no geographic boundaries. It seems that if there are 300 Million in the US and over 5 billion in other regions of the world, that statistic speaks volumes for those that were not interested in my first sentence.

End of discussion in terms of markets, market share, growth and all the things that interest those who failed to take an interest in the first sentence.

I think that sums it up

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WORLD COIN NEWS AND THIS PCGS BOARD is all one needs really image

Marc
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for sharing. PCGS is working hard to expand our presence in the World coin market. Your feedback will help us understand the best sources for news and information.

There is another source of information on World coins - CoinFacts wiki World Coins. Not only can you research here but you are free to add you own comments.

Lastly, I don't know what an 'alert thread' is. It's just a way I have to peg a message to the top of the board for a given period.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    For the record-

The World & Ancient Coins Forum is user friendly, informative and gives collectors the opportunity to communicate- it does not get better than this. PCGS (Collectors Universe) should be very proud of this forum as it truly is an amazing accomplishment.

• Options
    Thank you for thinking of us Mr. Willis.
    I for one am hoping PCGS's big announcement will impact World Coins as well in a positive way.
    Jim