Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A pretty unique Conder token. Birchall 28e

I purchased the following token from Bill McKivor. MJ (reposted from the US forum. My badimage)

According to Bill:
This is one of only two pieces with this edge (done for Birchall’s amusement and collection)
It is considered RRR. (Bill thinks the population "one of two" edges should be RRRR but there is no such thing)
It was part of the January 2008 Spinks sale in 2008 were prior it was in John Cokayne's holdings
D & H were given access to the Cokayne collection between 1910-1917. There is a separate section in the D & H book on the Birchall special edges.
This piece was logically bought at the 1905 Adkins sales by Cokayne.
The other Birchall 28e piece resides in England with the balance of the other Birchall pieces/edges as a complete collection.

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Cool! BTW, how did you take the edge pic? -Dan
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Goodman took the pic. He explained it to me but my head exploded.
    It sounded like a MacGyver episode. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Great token, I am coming from Leeds and watched from a distance the woolen/worsted textile industry disapear. Today you have a number of fine quality mills and few manufctures of clothing and other products. The changes have been so quick in a period of 50 years a City and the surroundings have changed.

The water like what goes into Scotch Whisky is the secret to the finishing of the fabrics, all the new developing countries cannot get that "this wonderful finish" that came from areas like Huddersfield and other cities around Leeds.

I am interested to see further tokens of the Yorkshire area

After thought looking at the great picture posted could the, could it be 1795/3 ?

BR
    SwK

A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass