Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Goloid Metric coin

I searched the archive, but I coulnt find any clear answers.

Does anyone have any diagnostics to determine a Goloid real or fake?

Thanks

Gary

Comments

• Options
    I don't but I remember a good fake for sale last year so be careful!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is not in a PCGS, NGC or ANACS slab then it's fake.

Take my word for it, they are so rare I doubt that most of us will ever see one.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    You should not buy any pattern or experimental coin unless it has been independently authenticated. Several hundred Goloid dollars were made for the metric sets that included the Metric dollar and Stella. Nearly all these sets have been broken up since 1880/81.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For starters, the fakes do not have the usual mirror surfaces. They also have slightly fuzzy detail, the wrong color, and sometimes exhibit a pairing of obverse and reverse dies that were never paired at the US Mint. If you're still unsure of what you have, post a picture here.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is not in a PCGS, NGC or ANACS slab then it's fake.

Take my word for it, they are so rare I doubt that most of us will ever see one.

There are probably on average ten or more sold at auction every year. I've seen well over a hundred over the years, and I'm sure that many are still unslabbed.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not had my fake slabbed, but I'm pretty sure when it is slabbed, it will magically become genuine. Just like millions of other fake coins that are slabbed. Before TPG, were all coins fake?

imageimage
  • Options
    Quote: "Just like millions of other fake coins that are slabbed"

Are you saying the major TPGs have slabbed MILLIONS OF FAKES ?
    Maybe they have graded lots of coins they should have culled, but the fake issue would need lots of proof.
    Some examples would be very interesting. !
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>Quote: "Just like millions of other fake coins that are slabbed"

Are you saying the major TPGs have slabbed MILLIONS OF FAKES ?
    Maybe they have graded lots of coins they should have culled, but the fake issue would need lots of proof.
    Some examples would be very interesting. ! >>

Your sarcasm detector is broken. image
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Well, this coin is from one of my neighbors by my cabin. He has no clue if it is real or fake. He is close to 90 and his memory is not the greatest.

I am not really interested in the coin, but he wants to know if it is real or not. So he gave me the coin to send in to get authenticated.

Atleast, he will get an answer that way.

Gary
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it is not in a PCGS, NGC or ANACS slab then it's fake.

There are probably on average ten or more sold at auction every year. I've seen well over a hundred over the years, and I'm sure that many are still unslabbed. >>

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Real or fake? I have no basis to say but I think fake because of the poor strike in the center reverse.

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    It does look fake, Greg. Why don't you weigh it and see how close it is to the weight on the coin.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    I don't own the coin. The owner found my web site. Is there any value to fakes? Are they silver?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't own the coin. The owner found my web site. Is there any value to fakes? Are they silver? >>

There's no value to the fake ones. There is a never ending stream of these coming from China made out of junk metal that are very poorly done as you can see for yourself.

Fakes sell on eBay for $8.99 with a COPY stamp which is typically just on the photos for show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file