Home Precious Metals
Options

Any date yet on the 5oz National Park pucks??

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Searched and didn't see anything. Any dealers have insight on when to expect these? I emailed APMEX, twice, but got no answer.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Searched and didn't see anything. Any dealers have insight on when to expect these? I emailed APMEX, twice, but got no answer. >>

Have you tried calling the mint?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    They're dealer direct so there's no public info to be had, far as I know anyway. Thought somebody might have some insight here since there are bullion dealers around.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    from an interview with Ed Moy, sounds like they are having trouble making them:

CoinNews Question: I have a question about the America the Beautiful 5 oz silver coins. How will the Mint distribute those? Will it be ordered directly from you or do we have to go through one of your authorized buyers?

A: Right. The authorized, primarily as a bullion coin, although we can make them as a numismatic product. So right now the focus has been on making them. Because when you have… the law was very specific, they said it had to be a certain diameter and it had to be 5 ounces. Well, there isn’t a 5 ounce blank out there, so we had to get this custom made.

Then, because it was 3 inches in diameter, well we’ve got a 5 ounce piece of silver and we stretch it out to a 3 inch diameter, it’s paper thin. And then congress mandated that we had to edge letter it. So when you edge letter a paper thin coin, you get crumples. We went back to congress and said technically it isn’t possible, and they said we’ve got too many other things going on, you guys figure out how to do it. We’ve been technologically struggling to make this coin happen.

We’ve made some breakthroughs in it, where the edge lettering is not as deep or noticeable. But it now doesn’t mess up the rest of the coin now. That addresses the difficulty that we’re having with the coin. So, we’re having that difficulty, we’re just shooting to meet the legislative mandate making it a bullion coin for now. Really a bullion coin is bought by authorized purchasers. That’s the only way you can get them. And when we work out the kinks, we’ll consider making them a numismatic product out of them.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    How can a 5oz round be paper thin at 3 inches to cause stamping problems??? That's not even physically possible.
  • Options
    is there anything congress doesnt &#@* up lately
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>is there anything congress doesnt &#@* up lately >>

You're right!
    It was Congressman Castle (R-Del) who wrote this turkey!!!!!!
    Send him an e-mail telling him what you think!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called Gold Center in Springfield, IL - a Mint distributor - today, and they haven't heard a peep out of the Mint about these yet. FYI.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    A CoinWorld article reports the Mint is purchasing new coin press for this 3 inch medal, and SunShine Minting Inc. to supply the blanks. Well, this is not good, the Mint will probably pass on the cost of the new press to its customers!
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A CoinWorld article reports the Mint is purchasing new coin press for this 3 inch medal, and SunShine Minting Inc. to supply the blanks. Well, this is not good, the Mint will probably pass on the cost of the new press to its customers! >>

If these things are as thin as Coinworld described, who will want them? Sounds like one really ugly coin set.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'd rather have 5 2009 Silver Eagle Proofsimage
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    How can a 5oz round be paper thin at 3 inches to cause stamping problems??? That's not even physically possible.

I tend to agree.

I just looked at a 5 Ounce Silver Panda. The diameter is slightly smaller (70 mm, which is 2.7559 inches) The thickness is
    quite robust. From my memory, at least 1/8 inch at the rim.

Sorry, I can't measure the thickness, because it's in a slab. Prior to slabbing, myself and others referred to them as pucks because of the thickness
    of the coins.

It's hard to imagine that stretching the coin .2441 inches, would make the coin paper thin.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options

I just talked to a Panda collector friend who claims that the
    5 oz Panda is 6mm thick. Thats 0.2362 inches, just shy of 1/4 inch.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Some quick math, please double check it.

silver eagle dimensions: 40.6mm (d) x2.98mm (h)
    volume of silver eagle (pi*r^2*h): 3.1417*20.3x20.3*2.98 = 3857 mm^3
    volume of 5 ounce = 19285mm3
    3inches circle diameter = 76.2, radius= 38.1 mm2
    surface area of 3 inch circle: 38.1*38.1*3.1417=4560mm3
    19285/4560= 4.22mm height

Should be possible, easily
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    When the mint was designing the coin earlier they apparently misread the legislation and thought the coin was suppose to have a diameter of 3 feet, not 3 inches. This is why it came out paper thin.image
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359

<< <i>Some quick math, please double check it.

Should be possible, easily >>

yep looks right to me image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>is there anything congress doesnt &#@* up lately >>

You're right!
    It was Congressman Castle (R-Del) who wrote this turkey!!!!!!
    Send him an e-mail telling him what you think!!! >>

oh i will and ill suggest Rangel write it up next time.
  • Options
    the 6 ounce silver astronaut medals of 1988 were thick, more than enough to strike...an ounce or so less still leaves plenty of striking area
  • Options

Congress mandated the edge lettering be 5mm! image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>

Congress mandated the edge lettering be 5mm! image >>

Do you have a link to that legislation/specification?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congress mandates that pi = 3.0 to simplify the calculations.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

TD >>

Here is link, with no mention of thickness requirement
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

Here is link, with no mention of thickness requirement >>

That's it. Thank you.
    TD
  • Options

<< <i>Congress mandates that pi = 3.0 to simplify the calculations. >>

Pi are round!
  • Options
    Pi are round!

It's funny, that joke never seems to get old.
    Every couple of years I pull it out, dust it off, and find someone who has never heard it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

it was a joke based upon the above 4.22 height calculation...thus the sh*t eating grin icon

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I wonder what the relief will look like on these. If it's low, these will suck. If their high, that should give them a little more edge to work with (and a nicer look), but I'm not holding my breath, especially if the State Quarter program is any indicator. The Mint does a decent job with some of the 3" bronze medals, they should be able to handle these.