Home Precious Metals
Options

Its Friday, who posts the bank closings?

DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
There's a small bank in my area that the FDIC is rumored to be shutting down. Just wondering if they're on today's list.
A relative is a banker, he says a lot of banks are for sale, but stronger banks don't buy them because too much risk taking on the bad loans. Better to let the FDIC shut them down.
DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Article in today's paper with a list of area banks (Oklahoma) that could be in trouble?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest the FDIC website. They will be the first to know image

Ever wonder why they do this on a Friday? image

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    There was a great NPR piece way back about 1 year ago about how when the bank closes friday the FDIC will send a team out for the weekend to get things up and running for start of business day Monday - I'm sure it's the fact that they can get 2 days to familiarize themselves with the banks situation.

They train people like task teams to fly out on instant notice and take things over. It was really interesting.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a great NPR piece way back about 1 year ago about how when the bank closes friday the FDIC will send a team out for the weekend to get things up and running for start of business day Monday - I'm sure it's the fact that they can get 2 days to familiarize themselves with the banks situation.

They train people like task teams to fly out on instant notice and take things over. It was really interesting. >>

It also serves as a "cooling off" period for those whose first reaction to the news would be to go get their money from the remaining banks (which are closed over the weekend). I imagine a massive bank run is the FDIC's biggest fear, especially since banks were allowed to loan out most of our deposits that we think are safely tucked away in the big vault.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar