Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Please show your favorite Japanese coin

My favorite (not this particular coin necessarily but the type. Used to have a better one but this is what I got now)
is the Bronze 100 mon coin which was issued during the 6th year of the Tempô era, AD 1835.

The inscription down the front of this coin reads 'Tem po tsu ho'.
'Tempo' refers to the Tempô era (1830-44), and 'tsûho' means 'circulating treasure' or 'coin'.
The inscription on the reverse reads 'to hyaku' ('worth-100'), that is, worth 100 of the standard Japanese cash coins, known as mon.

The oval form of this piece may have been inspired by the gold ôban and koban.
These token coins were issued to bring in extra revenue to the government.

Height: 48.500 mm
Width: 32.000 mm
Weight: 20.570 g

Why do I like it so much? Because it's big, heavy and so distinctive!image

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really mine, but rather my daughter's coin:

A bu from ca 1858-68
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a small collection that I refer to as my Pacific Rim collection. Here is the more interesting piece, a Yen from 1870. I decided not to edit the photo too much since I find that my CRT screen darkens the image. I suspect that a flat screen will show this photo as more appealing. I do not know what caused the striped toning.

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    My ONLY Japanese coin hence, my FAVORITE Japanese coin (although, this one has me hooked and it is a darn right beautiful coin!).

1964 Japan 1000 Yen

Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a small collection that I refer to as my Pacific Rim collection. Here is the more interesting piece, a Yen from 1870. I decided not to edit the photo too much since I find that my CRT screen darkens the image. I suspect that a flat screen will show this photo as more appealing. I do not know what caused the striped toning.

imageimage >>

Stunner to me!!!
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Japan 1 Yen 1901 (Meiji Year 34)

Japan 1000 Yen 1964 - Tokyo Olympics

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Willie--Believe your 1 yen is dated Meiji 34 (1901). Bill.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess that the date numbers go left to right (34)?
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    My only, therefore favorite, image

10 Yen
    1900 (Meiji Era 33)

imageimage
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a small collection that I refer to as my Pacific Rim collection. Here is the more interesting piece, a Yen from 1870. I decided not to edit the photo too much since I find that my CRT screen darkens the image. I suspect that a flat screen will show this photo as more appealing. I do not know what caused the striped toning.

imageimage >>

That is a thing of beauty!
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    The pics don't do this one justice. Really nice toning & luster. Sold it to someone here a while back, forgot who image

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Wow, kinda wish it had been me!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    None of them is still in my posession, but that's why I like keeping their photos.

This 1885 (M18) half sen went to Cathy, a PCGS MS64RD I think

A gold 10 yen, much like silvereagle's, but a more common date, 1909 (M41) and from the Japanese ministry of Finances hoard, graded MS65 by PCGS in its original holder

A 1903 yen NGC MS64 that went to JamminJ, initially bought from L.Teller, a nice lustrous mostly mark free coin.

A colorful 1964 1000 yen, NGC MS66 that went to coinpictures and became the subject of a disagreement in this forum over the premiums paid for colour.

And finally, one that I never owned and probably never will, a spectacular 1898 yen in NGC MS67,a true rarity that belongs to a friend who had it imaged by Mark Goodman.
    In a category of its own.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, my post got eaten!

I don't have any nice pictures, but Spoon posted my favorite design. I think I tried to buy that coin but it had sold before I could. Sigh.

I do have that lovely 1/2 sen of Dimitris--but it's one of the keepers back in the US in a double protection Intercept box image. That last 1 yen is in a class by itself! Is that another of JamminJ's? As I recall he took his own pictures and did so quite well. He had some beauties too!

The hoo bird/phoenix is my favorite theme on the Japanese coins, though the dragons are quite cool too. For the moderns the Japanese Mint has made some nice commemoratives. The Enthronement, 10 anniversary are nice, but the newest--the 20th year anniversary of the enthronement (link is to a pandaamerica page) is pretty nice.

I've been adding slowly to my Japanese Dansco, and someday I might try some photos. At this point my free phone has a higher megapixel count than my 'regular' camera, so needless to say I'm not one to take the great shots.

Cathy