Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I guess I won't be going to the coin store today-images

I was going into Rochester today to pick up a PCGS lightside slab of a Morgan dollar for a collector friend whose b'day is 2 days before mine.

Howsomever... 12 hours later and it's still snowing. I'll bet Don got less in Buffalo but area's south and east of me got it worse!

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I haven't seen that funky white stuff in more than a decade, when I honeymooned up in the mountains.

Our ice and frost have now thawed out and it will be a relatively mild day in the Golden Isles, it looks like. Clear blue sky and sunny.

Off I go, metal detector in hand. I'll try to find a Morgan dollar in your honor. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have had less snow than Wahington, D.C. so far this year. This 'massive snow storm' predicted for today dumped maybe 4" of snow at my house. We haven't had a decent snow storm in a couple years. Decent means 10" or more.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It hit Toronto last night. Heard predictions that it will continue snowing until Sunday. That would be great, since we haven't had a nice snow storm this season, yet.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Philly area topped all recorded winter snowfall records TWO BLIZZARDS AGO already!!

We're in uncharted territory............... township snow removal budgets are blown.............. even the Philly School District (known for refusing to close schools on even the TOUGHEST days in the past , especially while they had a Superintendent formerly from Chicago) has been closing on days where there are just THREATS of snowfall !!

Anyone betting we'll have a DROUGHT or HEAT WAVE to match this coming summer?

- - Dave

(All I know is I'm going to get to Sunday's local coin show SOMEHOW!!!!)image
  • Options
    that looks like the view in Dallas a couple weeks ago... 12 inches of the nasty white stuff on my front lawn!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Just cowboy up, put 'er in 4WD and go for it.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I kinda like the snow. It's one of the few things I miss from my time in MN. We get it here (CO) too, but it's quickly gone, as a rule.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I'm more than willing to ship you some wybrit! image

We still have more than enough. The amount of snow in the OPs pictures wouldn't slow us tundra dwellers down!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Yep, Syracuse is the only place in the country to have gotten more snow than DC (as of last week when I saw that stat)... I really don't miss that mess! though it was kind of fun in it's own odd way image

Here's the snow thread from last year, with pics.

BTW, we have cherry blossoms already up here image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    The amount of snow in the OPs pictures wouldn't slow us tundra dwellers down!

Except on Halloween. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

Just another day in Paradise here in Albany...photo from our front door yesterday morning...we got about a foot, all told...no big deal.

But there's a town about a half-hour drive from here -- but maybe 600 feet higher in elevation -- that has gotten 52" over the last 2-3 days.

Oy!

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody from up in the Sierras in California/Nevada? I think they get a bit of snow there as well as by recollection the snow pack hits 60 feet most years (and gives up the water that greens Los Angeles a la the movie "Chinatown").
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    I live just southwest of you in Bloomfield, Laurent. We have about 2 foot on the ground now.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Here in Dutchess County NY we got over 2 feet (although it had compacted down to 18 inches by the time it stopped as it was the heavy, wet stuff) and we were without power for 56 and a half hours! That was no fun.

I normally love snow, but I hate loosing power. So I have had enough for this year.

Lots of trees down. Lost only a few branches, we were lucky.

We made the best of it, though. We stayed at a motel in Hyde Park, and while there visited an antique shop. Found an out of print 1980s book I had been looking for, (and even better: it sold new for $50 and I paid $9!) and while there I got a Brazilian coin that is apparently from 1901. I have not done my research on it yet but the price was right, so it came home. There's no date on the coin. If I can't find any info on it, expect a thread! image

I also hit the Barnes & Noble on the way to the motel and purchased a handfull of coin magazines, (CoinAge, Coins, Paper Money Values, CoinAge's 2010 Annual) and finally got myself a copy of Edward Gibbon's the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Looks like you live in an 1890's-1900's neighborhood. Perfect yards for detecting.
  • Options
    DaltonistaDaltonista Posts: 354 ✭✭

Whoa, we've got a lot of upstate New Yorkers in this forum, don't we?
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    We got about a foot of really wet snow here in Westchester County, NY. It was abnormally heavy stuff. Brought down more trees than I've ever seen one storm do. Didn't have power for 4 days.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Great pictures! If only snow weren't so cold, I might take a vacation from Florida and head up north!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize we had this many here either. There are quite a few on CoinTalk as well.

Yet amazingly there aren't any coin shops locally...

Since posting this in this post would not violate the new rules in place, as I posted about coin shops, I will post this picture I took today, of my back yard. Lost more branches here then ever before. I am hosting it off Facebook so the quality is not as good as if I was hosting it on my websight, but I have not uploaded it there yet...
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History