Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How is PCGS with colorful copper these days?

I haven't sent over any coins in a few months, but about 6 months ago they were no-grading fresh Perth mint copper straight out of banks rolls. Have they wised up and gotten over their anti-color campaign yet?

Worth risking the no grades or better to just send the colorful copper to NGC?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, PCGS has trouble with color on some foreign copper coins. They usually will 'Genuine' them if they don't know.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I concur with the 'shroom.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    What they said, very tough right now to get anything a little different graded.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many subjective calls on coins that may not be AT.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for CanadaColorNut to respond. image

• Options
    Well they've AT'd 3 now that I know danged well came from original proof like sets.

I sent one back for regrade with a long letter telling them that I've been looking, and plucking,
    Canadian PL sets for about 30 years now, and that I was willing to sign a sworn affidavit
    that it was original.

They finally decided that it was, maybe, OK.

So they gave it a grade of Pl 65 when there's not a single blemish or mark on it. Copping out; trying to be nice I guess,
    but the coin is a solid 67 and it's on the way back over there now, with another long letter, for a regrade.

WWW(Bill) knows of another situation and it just took a turn tonight with the Torex Auction.

I need a PL 66 or better 1956 penny for a registry set that I'm trying to put together for our
    grand kids.

I submitted a gorgeous example from an original PL set a couple of months ago looking for at least
    a PL66, hopefully better.

When it came back in a body bag I resubmitted it-with a color picture of the one that Bill submitted and got,
    justifiably-a PL 66 BRN grade on.

That's "BRN" as in a gorgeous kaleidoscope of colors that would light up any collection.

Another long letter, and another wait; hoping for a 66 but willing to settle for a 65 since it had a couple
    of toning spots and wasn't quite up to Bill's; but a 65 with that kind of color would be a minor victory
    at least.

In the meantime, an ICCS PL 66 with a nice cameo came up in the Torex auction that just closed.

So I'm checking, sweating image every day to see how mine comes out before deciding how strong I really wanted
    to go on the TOREX example.

Bottom line-after checking as late as 3 p.m. today, no decision yet on the one I resubmitted.

So I decided to go ahead and bid about $200 on it ; knowing that it would still have to cross with PCGS,
    and knowing that I usually lose at least a point on an ICCS crossover.

I lost the coin to a last minute bid and, as I sit here moaning about it, I still haven't heard from the PCGS courts.

So as it stands, if I don't get the decision from PCGS to give the coin a grade, I'm at least a 3 time loser.

I lost the one on TOREX for about a $50 difference, and my resubmit will most likely come back AT with another $40
    out of pocket expense.

Hey brother; can you spare a 1956 PL 66 penny?

I'm not even thinking about daring to ask for a dime image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.