Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Update back from JSA... Steve Young Foundation TTM does not pass PSA/DNA

Just a warning to anyone sending to Steve Young's Foundation... Before you send a $100 card you may want to think twice.

N4: QUESTIONABLE AUTHENTICITY 1984 TOPPS USFL 52 STEVE YOUNG PSA/DNA CERTIFIED

Comments

• Options
    Maybe PSA/DNA dropped the ball on that one???
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options

<< <i>Maybe PSA/DNA dropped the ball on that one??? >>

It's possible but it was very clean looking sig of Steve Young - not sure how or why they'd mess that one up...
  • Options
    I never sent in autos. Do you send your thank you letter with the card?

• Options

<< <i>I never sent in autos. Do you send your thank you letter with the card? >>

No, I did not send the letter in... I might try JSA and see if they'll athenticate the auto.
  • Options
    If your not looking to sell it I wouldn't worry about it, but I would like piece of mind myself. I like PSA/DNA because they slab the card. Does JSA do anything like that? Does Beckett use JSA for autos?

• Options

<< <i>If your not looking to sell it I wouldn't worry about it, but I would like piece of mind myself. I like PSA/DNA because they slab the card. Does JSA do anything like that? Does Beckett use JSA for autos? >>

I think they just put a big red "AUTHENTIC" stamp on back of the card.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Oh, man that sucks. What a jerk for cashing people’s checks and having someone else sign. In my opinion that is fraud. I don't have a problem with athletes doing that when they are signing for free. As soon as they except payment they are obligated to provide you with a legit graph. There has been allot of talk on SCN over the past month whether his auto's were ghost signed.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, man that sucks. What a jerk for cashing people’s checks and having someone else sign. In my opinion that is fraud. I don't have a problem with athletes doing that when they are signing for free. As soon as they except payment they are obligated to provide you with a legit graph. There has been allot of talk on SCN over the past month whether his auto's were ghost signed. >>

Maybe it's time to call his foundation? You would think these PROs would know better.

Steve Young you better watch out, all it takes is a forum to ruin you. image

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Looks like that was more of a $20 donation than $100 image
  • Options
    What makes me more upset, what about the $100 card? Now he's out $120. What's the card worth with a fake sig? Nothing

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Looks like that was more of a $20 donation than $100 image >>

No it wasn't ... it cost him $95.00 for the card!!!!! It was a crackout from a PSA "8" holder.

IMO, if it's a fake auto the card is ruined.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Just because PSA/DNA says it isn't real, doesn't make it so. Lots of stories of people sending stuff to them they got in person that failed.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just because PSA/DNA says it isn't real, doesn't make it so. >>

I agree but 95% of the autograph communitee (and potential buyers) do not.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like that was more of a $20 donation than $100 image >>

No it wasn't ... it cost him $95.00 for the card!!!!! It was a crackout from a PSA "8" holder.

IMO, if it's a fake auto the card is ruined. >>

ooooooooooo! care to throw up a pic? you would think he would do autopen if this a regular stunt they pulled, I would be contacting them...
  • Options
    Jasen,

Here is the one I received back from The Foundation if you want to compare to see if it's autopen.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    Certified Auto..

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    ACE will certify it......

Sorry to hear this Jasen...

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Here is the one I got back a couple of months ago from his foundation.
  • Options
    I will post the scan as soon as it comes back... I'm just surprised to see this one fail - I've had other ones not pass that I thought were questionable (like the Ben Roes.) It looks very similar to the ones posted by John and Doug... but there appears to be enough of a difference between those 2 for it not to be an autopen.

I’m really not that upset about losing the $100 – there is always a risk when you send via TTM. But when you send money to support a foundation you’d think you were getting the real deal!

When the card comes back I'm going to send it to JSA and see what they think. I'll also try and find an e-mail address for the foundation and see if I can get answer if the autograph was signed by Steve.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I'd be really surprised if the sig from the foundation is not real. I'd be 10 times more likely to believe that PSA / DNA aired (erred) on the conservative side by not grading it, then to think that a foundation is asking for a $20 donation for an autograph which is not real.

So my money says it's a real signature, and PSA / DNA has it wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd be really surprised if the sig from the foundation is not real. I'd be 10 times more likely to believe that PSA / DNA aired (erred) on the conservative side by not grading it, then to think that a foundation is asking for a $20 donation for an autograph which is not real.

So my money says it's a real signature, and PSA / DNA has it wrong. >>

I would tend to agree... just not sure why PSA/DNA would reject it - it's to bad PSA does not say why they felt it was not a good autograph.
  • Options
    I agree that most likely PSA got it wrong. Jasen ... save yourself some time and money ... call PSA today ... tell them what happened ... send them the letter ... and ask Joe if he can have someone look at it again. Let us know what happens.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>I agree that most likely PSA got it wrong. Jasen ... save yourself some time and money ... call PSA today ... tell them what happened ... send them the letter ... and ask Joe if he can have someone look at it again. Let us know what happens. >>

I would but they already shipped it back... for some reason I did not get the e-mail saying the grades poped - I just got an e-mail with the FEDEX tracking number. I will e-mail Joe and see if I can send it back for a review.
  • Options
    can anyone get the following website to come up...

http://www.foreveryoung.org/
  • Options

<< <i>can anyone get the following website to come up...

http://www.foreveryoung.org/ >>

YUP ... no problem

Michelle Knox, Director of Media and Public Relations
    michelle@foreveryoung.org
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

It would be super stupid of the foundation to be sending
    out fake sigs. The chances of it happening are ultra slim.

I would send the card back to PSA/DNA for another looksee.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The rumors of auto-penning and ghost signing have been going on in select circles for awhile. I've had several private returns from Steve (we were college classmates) and one from the Foundation and they've all matched up and have authenticated when submitted.

Here are a few samples that I got back from him last year (one index card, one custom index card and a Fleer card) that match up to the Foundation exemplar posted previously:

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>can anyone get the following website to come up...

http://www.foreveryoung.org/ >>

YUP ... no problem

Michelle Knox, Director of Media and Public Relations
    michelle@foreveryoung.org >>

thanks Doug... not sure why the site is blocked at my work???? anyway an e-mail has been sent, hopefully I can get to the bottom of this and be able to contact PSA after I get confirmation from the foundation.
  • Options

Here is a couple 2008 Press Pass (released late 2008), my latest certifeid autos., and a RC from his Foundation this last year. Note the loops on the free autos. are a lot bigger, but Young is kind of signing in a box in the Press Pass autos, and if you see 8x10 or like signatures, they compare better with the bigger loops. It also appears the big loop Youngs have a sharper "Y" point on bottom them the others, but it is really hard to say.

The signatures from his foundation in my opinion, appear to be authentic. I feel like I can almost date a Young signature. It would really surprize me if they have tricked me and Scott. If I remember from previous Scott comments on these boards, when he wrote private returns above, he meant not through the Foundation.

I believe PSA DNA thinks they are autopens. Which they do not appear to be...but maybe some are?

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Jasen,

Didnt you get a EOT on a Jordan rookie pulled from a group break?
  • Options

<< <i>Jasen,

Didnt you get a EOT on a Jordan rookie pulled from a group break? >>

Yep, thats me! PSA does not like me... I'm their vocal sky is falling customer!
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Like they say without bad luck I wouldnt have any luck at all........Good Luck on getting it corrected.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Autopens most often have a small shake at the beginning and end of signatures. So far, I dont see any that appear to be autopens but of course I could be wrong. I think PSA played on the side of conservative and did not pass it for whatever reason.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

Way to not display the flag properly, Fleer. image
    imageRIP
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Still no word back from the e-mail I sent to Steve's foundation asking if the sigs were real...

Could these be autopen'ed???

• Options
    Looks like I'll have to apologize to Steve Young's foundation... it appears the autos are legit - not sure why PSA/DNA would not slab the card - Young's auto seems pretty basic and easy to identify and authenticate.

• Options
    PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    I wouldn't be happy untill it was in a psa 8 holder again.
  • Options
    glad you got is slabbed. you def. got hosed by PSA on this one, bought from the foundation and authenticated by a reputable company after the fact.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    come on, it's real. autograph authentication is a sham IMO.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't be happy untill it was in a psa 8 holder again. >>

I screwed this one up... I put a small crease in the bottom of the card when I attempted to free the card from its PSA shackles... (I've taken out over 50 cheaper cards without a problem, go figure I screw this one up!)
  • Options

<< <i>

I screwed this one up... I put a small crease in the bottom of the card when I attempted to free the card from its PSA shackles... (I've taken out over 50 cheaper cards without a problem, go figure I screw this one up!) >>

You did WHAT to that card????????????? lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I screwed this one up... I put a small crease in the bottom of the card when I attempted to free the card from its PSA shackles... (I've taken out over 50 cheaper cards without a problem, go figure I screw this one up!) >>

You did WHAT to that card????????????? lol >>

I know I suck... your PSA 8 would now be a PSA 5 image but now has an auto on it image