Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Mets-71 finally shows his hand...

I was updating my registry set for 1971 OPC baseball today, and I noticed that I had dropped from #4 to #5. I thought to myself, self I didn't know someone was that close behind. I then realized that Mets-71 dropped all his cards onto the registry like an avalanche! Boy, does he have some awesome cards; I feel lucky to own some that he doesn't have. He is quite the OPC collector, as evidenced by his sets going back to 1966. Mets-71, if you're out there, I tip my hat to you, sir!

Comments

• Options
    I think this is just the tip of the ice berg. I have sold many a card from many different years to Al (Mets-71). I think he has quite a few other sets to list as well, probably multiple sets of some years. I'm hoping he doesn't pass me on 71 Topps baseball registry.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I've been thwarted by this dude many times. Thank God he doesn't collect the 56 set.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    What is even crazier is that he(Mets 71) buys multiple copies of the same card. Not sure if he is currently doing that but he used to. Almost like he was trying to corner the market on particular cards?? Who knows.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Bidding against Al is like bidding against Spence. You're gonna lose no matter what you bid. And yeah, you're just seeing the tip of the iceberg on Al's stuff...
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>What is even crazier is that he(Mets 71) buys multiple copies of the same card. Not sure if he is currently doing that but he used to. Almost like he was trying to corner the market on particular cards?? Who knows. >>

Probably a way to keep his average costs in line.

Quick example (that I happened to remember) from VCP: He bought a 55 Topps Collins 8 for $1300 in 5/08 and a second one for $760 10/08. His consignment dealer recently sold the second one for $1065. Also, with low pop high dollar cards, even a very small percentage of bumps will go a long way.
  • Options
    Al is a very good guy. I have sold him cards and he has
    killed me trying to win cards for my 1965 OPC and 1969 OPC sets.

Whoever (Whomever?) said you won't outbid him....you are CORRECT!

I don't think he won this card this week, but, I bid on the 1967 OPC
    Al Kaline #30 PSA 8 (Jason's) My top bid I placed was all Kaline's
    uniform number ($666.66), still lost it by about $100.00 That really
    is a very very tough (Probably the toughest Kaline OPC, including the
    1974 OPC!) Kaline. Jason was correct when he said " It may be years
    before you see another one of these".

I had the highest graded for years of that card (A PSA 7) and included
    it in my registry set when I had the Kaline Master.

Getting back to Al, as I said, when he gets all his OPC stuff up there,
    you are going to be very surprised at the SCOPE and QUALITY of the
    items he has!

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options
    Who is Mets-71

Anyone have contact info on him?

I may have a few cards he may be interested in...
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    wonder what Al does for a living (besides spending more on cards per day than my net worth)

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS