Strange toning on the 1949...

Can someone confirm that this is a "wide low 0"
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Round O, Even Date (ROED)

If you want to see pics of all three 1880 varieties, check the NF set in my sig line.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bosox.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    LV ,

Both the round O, even date (ROED) and the round O, low O (ROLO) dates tend to slope a little from left to right relative to the bar separating them from the crown. The ROLO has the final digit of the date noticeably low compared to an imaginary line drawn across the TOPS of the digits.

I also look at the closeness of the final digit to the beaded circle. This digit is much closer to the circle on the ROLO. Also on the ROLO, all four digits would come very close to touching an imaginary line drawn across the BOTTOM edges of the digits, while on the ROED the last digit looks high relative to this line.

One of the confusing things about these is that the last two digits were manually punched into the working dies and multiple working dies were used for each variety. As a result, for both varieties the final two digits "wander" a little bit just to bewilder those trying to learn the difference.

The "oval O" or 'narrow O" is fairly easy to recognize by the narrow shape of the last digit.

Here is one more set of pictures.

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com