Home Sports Talk
Options

Possible Boyle Suspension

I tend to agree with the guy who wrote this: link . Personally I'd hate to see Boyle suspended, but despite the fact that I have very little use for Semin I didn't think his hit on Boyle was all that dirty. And the fact remains that you cannot slewfoot a guy in a high-profile hockey game w/o expecting someone to bring down the hammer.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I have very little use for Semin >>

I hope not
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    I have very little use for Semin I didn't think his hit on Boyle was all that dirty.

it wasn't, Boyle was off balance and it was a high shoulder check so it looked a lot worse than it actually was. The zebras had to congregate to even call the slew-foot on Boyle. They nearly let it slide. The audacity of a forward laying a hit on a defenseman in an elimination game. Along with Thornton, Boyle is exhibit B as to why the Sharks will enjoy another 1st round exit this year in the playoffs.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I have very little use for Semin I didn't think his hit on Boyle was all that dirty.

it wasn't, Boyle was off balance and it was a high shoulder check so it looked a lot worse than it actually was. The zebras had to congregate to even call the slew-foot on Boyle. They nearly let it slide. The audacity of a forward laying a hit on a defenseman in an elimination game. Along with Thornton, Boyle is exhibit B as to why the Sharks will enjoy another 1st round exit this year in the playoffs. >>

I am backing up the truck on the Sharks making an early exit. I've drank the Shark Kool-Aid for three years now, and I'm not getting fooled this year. Any team that features Jumbo Joe on their 1st line is doomed to be on the golf course by June.

By the way, did anyone here Thornton's name called a single time last night? I was listening for it, and I never heard him mentioned. That guy is the walking definition of a 'Nessie'.
  • Options
    Dale Hunter, Claude Lemieux and Todd Bertuzzi all said the hit from Boyle looked perfectly legal to them...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    He should absolutely be suspended. Not sure if it is standard practice during the "slew foot manuever" but Boyle's stick came up across Semin's head.

I saw nothing wrong with the hit on Boyle (or the hit on Staal for that matter).
  • Options
    By the way, did anyone here Thornton's name called a single time last night? I was listening for it, and I never heard him mentioned. That guy is the walking definition of a 'Nessie'.

he's a great talent, but like Rick Nash he doesn't play to his size, and he just never seems to show up when it matters. You'd think when you're on a line with the guys you play all season long with (Healtey & Marleau) and even Boyle, you'd be pretty comfortable even on the Olympic stage. You know SJ honks are sweating out the Ducks making the playoffs again with the #7 or #8 seed...because that will end in tears.
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, did anyone here Thornton's name called a single time last night? I was listening for it, and I never heard him mentioned. That guy is the walking definition of a 'Nessie'.

he's a great talent, but like Rick Nash he doesn't play to his size, and he just never seems to show up when it matters. You'd think when you're on a line with the guys you play all season long with (Healtey & Marleau) and even Boyle, you'd be pretty comfortable even on the Olympic stage. You know SJ honks are sweating out the Ducks making the playoffs again with the #7 or #8 seed...because that will end in tears. >>

Agreed. I don't think Jumbo Joe wants any part of a Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan tag team in April, although he was probably the first guy to praise Allah when Beauchemin packed his bags and headed North. Everyone says that the Sharks bent the Bruins over the kitchen counter in the Thornton trade, but what has that trade yielded for San Jose? A second round loss to the Wings a few years ago?

Edit to add: In fairness to Nash, he really has played with some horrible teams, and so it's hard to know how he'd react in an NHL series that really mattered. He's not like the Thornton, or the Sedin twins, who seem to have an established history of mailing it in when the calendar reads May. Although I do think it said something about Nash's will to compete when he expressed his delight at staying in Columbus, instead of going to Toronto or somewhere similar.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Thornton used to pull the disappearing act while with the Bruins whenever they played the Devils. He hated it when a forward half his size would stand him up when he crossed the blueline. He hated it even worse getting sandwiched by the center and defenseman when he went into the corner for a puck. Call the Devils a trapping team or a wing/lock team or whatever you want, but they know how to play the game. Just look at the number of players in the Olympics that are excelling that played their formative years in the Devils system: Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Patrik Elias and Zach Parise...
  • Options
    And why Lou Lamorello is one of the greatest gifts to North American hockey. Let's not forget Langenbrunner.

And what is Statsny doing for team USA ? I'm expecting more from Kessel too.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And why Lou Lamorello is one of the greatest gifts to North American hockey. Let's not forget Langenbrunner.

And what is Statsny doing for team USA ? I'm expecting more from Kessel too. >>

I can't include Langenbrunner as he was a product of the Stars system although he's changed his game since he's been with the Devils. Interesting to note that three current or former Devils captain the top six Olympic teams. Elias (over Jagr), Niedermeyer and Langenbrunner.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Marleau and Heatley are A-holes, that's for sure.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And why Lou Lamorello is one of the greatest gifts to North American hockey. Let's not forget Langenbrunner.

And what is Statsny doing for team USA ? I'm expecting more from Kessel too. >>

I can't include Langenbrunner as he was a product of the Stars system although he's changed his game since he's been with the Devils. Interesting to note that three current or former Devils captain the top six Olympic teams. Elias (over Jagr), Niedermeyer and Langenbrunner. >>

The Devils are a model franchise. Yes, they have had an anchor in net for 18 years or so, but even apart from that Crazy Lou seems like he can do no wrong. My abiding respect for the Devils began after that cluster of a Cup final in '95, and has grown ever since.
  • Options
    The Devils are a model franchise. Yes, they have had an anchor in net for 18 years or so, but even apart from that Crazy Lou seems like he can do no wrong. My abiding respect for the Devils began after that cluster of a Cup final in '95, and has grown ever since.

yeah, the Devils and Wings are 1A & 1B over the last 20 years. NJ has done more with less, but DET is superior in the scouting and player development departments.

I don't have a problem with Marleau, but Heatley is a POS...for sure. Aside from Bertuzzi, he's next in line.
  • Options

<< <i>The Devils are a model franchise. Yes, they have had an anchor in net for 18 years or so, but even apart from that Crazy Lou seems like he can do no wrong. My abiding respect for the Devils began after that cluster of a Cup final in '95, and has grown ever since.

yeah, the Devils and Wings are 1A & 1B over the last 20 years. NJ has done more with less, but DET is superior in the scouting and player development departments.

I don't have a problem with Marleau, but Heatley is a POS...for sure. Aside from Bertuzzi, he's next in line. >>

Marleau just thinks he's king s***....
  • Options

<< <i>The Devils are a model franchise. Yes, they have had an anchor in net for 18 years or so, but even apart from that Crazy Lou seems like he can do no wrong. My abiding respect for the Devils began after that cluster of a Cup final in '95, and has grown ever since.

I don't have a problem with Marleau, but Heatley is a POS...for sure. Aside from Bertuzzi, he's next in line. >>

At least Bertuzzi only made one big mistake, and I don't think the intent was there to injure. When I think of hockey players that I positively loathe, the first two names that come to mind are Maltby and Avery, followed closely by Steve Ott.

Heatley is definitely a headcase, although I still do feel bad for him.
  • Options

<< <i>

At least Bertuzzi only made one big mistake, and I don't think the intent was there to injure. When I think of hockey players that I positively loathe, the first two names that come to mind are Maltby and Avery, followed closely by Steve Ott.

Heatley is definitely a headcase, although I still do feel bad for him. >>

I've met Hateley more times than I cared too, trust me, he doesn't have a 'grieving friend' feeling to him...
  • Options
    What Bertuzzi did was wrong, but I liken it to Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale headhunting after one of their guys got hit. He was just looking after one of his teammates. I guarantee you that while Bertuzzi was roundly hated by the media and hockey world, his teammates respected the fact that he had their backs. Sean Avery is a walking, talking, piece of crap. I wish Scott Stevens was around to level his sorry self.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.