Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1922 Rev. of 27 Penny

First let me apologize for the image. The owner is a very knowledgable collector but not such a great photographer. This is one I got to see a couple of weeks ago. Currently in a NGC Matte PR 64 holder (I think it was a 64). The photo doesn't do it justice but in hand it has a very obvious matte proof finish. As far as I know there are two of these in existence although that is not of course a provable number. Spink just lists it as Extremely Rare with no pricing, as a Specimen Finish.

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    That is a great and rare piece. It's got to be worth five figures or more.

I also see that there is some doubling on the date.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing a true rarity, wonderful looking coin.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing- I have never seen one

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this a worthy penny unlike those narrow date & other Vicky esoterics (my own pet peeves against those "hypervarietals").
    How on Earth did they come up with a mintage of 2?
    Maybe RobP knows? Other appearances at auction or sale? I think this coin was part of a 1924 specimen/proof set with only the penny dated 1922 and have seen the 1/2d and fartthing come up in various sales like Nicholson and I think Colin Cooke.Colin Adams I think had the halfcrown from the set. One can only imagine what a lightside coin such as this would bring at a Heritage auction - well this one might bring a big price anyway.

I have always wondered if there were any true mint state currency specimens of this variety as it seems that the best collections have rather worn bits in aF or so. I have another question, isnt't there a coin with obverse and reverse of 1927 type but dated 1922?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always wondered if there were any true mint state currency specimens of this variety as it seems that the best collections have rather worn bits in aF or so. I have another question, isnt't there a coin with obverse and reverse of 1927 type but dated 1922? >>

Didn't that coin come up for sale in a London Coins auction a few years back?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may have been it, and then my recall is that it was too worn to determine and that the obverse was not actually of the later type...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    That is something to drool over image

I was at the London Coins auction with £2500 burning a hole in my pocket image when that 27/27 went through went for £3800 + commission. I picked up the normal Good Fine specimen of the 22/27 a few months later for I think about £1200. I think the known 22/27 coins only come to about 12ish. If I'm wrong I'm someone will correct me. Freeman rates it at R18, 6-15 pieces .
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    I have to confess I haven't a clue when it comes to the populations of most pennies as I tend to switch off having no interest. Sorry. The only penny I am looking for is a mint state KN.

On the question of oddballs from the early 1920's. Given the existence of the 1922 gold trials for the normally silver denominations, the nickel pieces dated 1923 & 4, the specimen finishes and the impending arrival of the ME and small head obverses and redesigned reverses for most denominations, I wouldn't be surprised to see any combination of obv/rev from this time frame. The mint had an interesting selection of pieces made in these few years.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for sharing the pic and some knowledge. Matte proof finishes are nice.