Home Sports Talk
Options

Rich Rod's future with Wolverines looks more shaky than ever after NCAA violations revealed

Michigan football is facing 5 serious violations of NCAA rules, right now the official stance is they are
standing by him but I don't think the support from the AD is very strong. They have 90 days to answer the charges and then
there are hearings about them scheduled for August. A sad day for a once proud football program.

Comments

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I hope Rich Rod coaches them for a long time. Besides, Michigan's an ice dancing school now anyway. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to say this is not a suprise but when I think about it maybe it is. I felt he would bring that team up there to national prominance, perhaps playing for the national championship and then the infractions would come to light, and he would leave in disgrace.
    He may not even bring that team back to mediocrity before he leaves in disgrace.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    I make no excuses for the guy, because a violation IS a violation. The things he's being accused of are pretty weak in the sense that he had guys practicing too much. They sucked and continued to do so even after practicing "too much". Their failure to document is more of a problem, but apparently they weren't over their workout times by some insane amount. I know, I know... Any amount is too much by the NCAA's rules, so I get it. I watched an interview with a former NCAA official who said that the wording of "major" violations really means nothing here, as they weren't charged with a loss of institutional control which would likely land them on suspension. He said they'll likely just be put on probation, which really means nothing as long as no further violations occur. He said they likely wont be banned from bowl appearances and probably wont lose any scholarships, but the NCAA may use them as an example as they have to other programs in the past. That could mean they lose a few scholarships, but he didn't anticipate anything beyond that.

Personally, I think Rodriguez is a good coach who's simply desperate to win. I also think he relies too much on other people to keep things in order. When Carr was here, he had his hand in EVERY aspect of the program to ensure things stayed clean. I think Rich needs to get more involved in all aspects of this team and make sure they stay compliant within the rules. If not, he'll be out of a job and this program will go down the crapper worse than it already has.
  • Options
    sad sad days for michigan football indeed. Will they ever beat Ohio state again? image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIT Earle Bruce said the charges are overblown and should really not be such a big deal. As far as winning the big game again, it goes in cycles and I'm sure it will turn again. I just hope it is not in my lifetime and I live to be 100.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>FWIT Earle Bruce said the charges are overblown and should really not be such a big deal. As far as winning the big game again, it goes in cycles and I'm sure it will turn again. I just hope it is not in my lifetime and I live to be 100. >>

Yes, that's all I keep reading and hearing. But one should never speculate what the NCAA will ever do. I cannot justify anyone breaking the rules, but this one just seems so stupid. I understand why it is in place, but... ugh.

As for the big game, yes, it seems to run in cycles. Michigan pretty much dominated the series from 1985-2000. Ohio St dominated the series for the last decade. If you look at the history of the series, it's been nothing but shifts of power. As a Blue fan, of course I'd like to see Michigan start kickin' buckeye butt again. But considering how the series hasn't even been competitive lately, I'd like to just see some good games again. Michigan recruited well again this year considering their paltry results for the last two seasons. It's all on RR now as he has been recruiting for two full seasons and part of another. If they don't turn it around this year, HE IS GONE. Guaranteed. I don't think people here will even be happy with a berth into a crummy bowl. This team really has to produce 8 wins for anybody here to be happy with Rod and Co. Anything less and I'd wager Rod is gone and it's probably another 3-4 years of rebuilding for Blue.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>FWIT Earle Bruce said the charges are overblown and should really not be such a big deal. As far as winning the big game again, it goes in cycles and I'm sure it will turn again. I just hope it is not in my lifetime and I live to be 100. >>

Yes, that's all I keep reading and hearing. But one should never speculate what the NCAA will ever do. I cannot justify anyone breaking the rules, but this one just seems so stupid. I understand why it is in place, but... ugh.

As for the big game, yes, it seems to run in cycles. Michigan pretty much dominated the series from 1985-2000. >>

But it wasnt 6 times in counting like it is now. Probably be 7 times in a row with the Buckeyes team coming back this year.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As for the big game, yes, it seems to run in cycles. Michigan pretty much dominated the series from 1985-2000. >>

But it wasnt 6 times in counting like it is now. Probably be 7 times in a row with the Buckeyes team coming back this year. >>

Ummm, okay? I would still say that a 12-3-1 record in a 16 year span is pretty impressive. Ohio St has been, by far, the better team in this series for the decade. The last 2 games haven't been close at all. I guess I was confused as to where you were going with your statement.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually- take a moment and think if another team in the Big Ten at some point has ever beat Michigan and Ohio State at any time 4 years in a row or more...

Minnesota could have but that would likely date back to the 1930's or earlier

Other conference teams can be ruled out- I doubt Purdue, NW, Wisconsin or Iowa have- Penn State has not as they have not been in the conference that long

I think Illinois beat Ohio State in the 1988-1993 time frame- that could have been 4 years straight but as for Michigan- perhaps in the 1950-55 time frame or maybe during the Red Grange era

Michigan State- could have but I don't think either Biggie Munn or Duffy Daugherty pulled that off

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    He's not in trouble, Michigan is stuck with him for better or worse. He's got his system and players and any change would set them back another 3 years.
  • Options

<< <i>He's not in trouble, Michigan is stuck with him for better or worse. He's got his system and players and any change would set them back another 3 years. >>

He's got 1 to 2 more years tops to turn things around before they can him.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He's not in trouble, Michigan is stuck with him for better or worse. He's got his system and players and any change would set them back another 3 years. >>

He's got 1 to 2 more years tops to turn things around before they can him. >>

The fact that he was their 3rd or 4th choice for the position means they're likely stuck with him for awhile. However, if the right guy was available...