Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How do you start a Grading set?

I don't see a Grading set listed when i go to the start a new set page. Can someone direct me with this? Thanks!
Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to the registry page, click on showcase sets at the bottom, and then click grading sets.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I asked the wrong question. I would like to start a grading set. How do i start one, Thanks
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    decide on a series or date of the series and start

submitting or buying

- the coin has to be more valuable to fill the lower spots - unless you want to pay for submitting/grading to fill spots

you need to figure what this project will cost you and what grades you want to fill

clearly a grading set for a 1916-D Mercury will cost different than a 1908-S Indian Head Cent

you may want to narrow the set to a range like au58 MS60-MS66
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, if you still need to get the coins to build a grading set, there are no rules but you need to ask yourself can you afford all the grades? Some can be bought already slabbed, some you may have to find and submit. Low pop coins you may have to “make” yourself as they will be hard to locate already slabbed.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before staring a grading set, I'd recommend studying the population reports a little bit to see what has been graded and the numbers currently available in each grade for whatever particular coin you decide to make a set around. You can pretty much consider any coin with a population of less that 25 or so to be very difficult to find available, especially if you are going to hold out for a nice example and not just buy the first that comes to market.
  • Options
    Thank you all!
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to invest in a camera or to leave room in your budget to get your coins properly photographed. A grading set without photos seems pointless to me.

JH
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no such set as a grading set in the registry. A few have put up sets simialer to that in the Collectors show case area though.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    PCGS has done a good photograde grading set for many series

although pics are different than having coin in hand
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS has done a good photograde grading set for many series

although pics are different than having coin in hand >>

In addition to that, PCGS sometimes displays its grading sets at the Long Beach shows... they are pretty neat to look at as they have most of the major series covered and in most grades. Though, like their photograde, the coins in their gradings sets for a series aren't all of the same date/mintmark which could be important for a series where certain dates or certain mints have different strikes and may even be graded on the curve a bit image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I asked the wrong question. I would like to start a grading set. How do i start one, Thanks >>

Buy a coin.
    When in doubt, don't.