Louisville Colonels (1897–1899)
Pittsburgh Pirates (1900–1917)
As Coach

Pittsburgh Pirates (1933–1951)
As Manager

Pittsburgh Pirates (1917)

Career highlights and awards
World Series champion (1909)
NL Batting Champion (1900, 1903, 1904, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1911)
Pittsburgh Pirates #33 retired
Major League Baseball All-Century Team

Member of the National
Baseball Hall of Fame
Induction 1936
Vote 95.13% (first ballot)

Johannes Peter "Honus" Wagner ; February 24, 1874 – December 6, 1955[1] ), nicknamed The Flying Dutchman due to his superb speed and German heritage, was an American Major League Baseball shortstop who played in the National League from 1897 to 1917, almost entirely for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Wagner won eight batting titles, tied for the most in NL history with Tony Gwynn. He also led the league in slugging six times, and in stolen bases five times.

In 1936, the Baseball Hall of Fame inducted Wagner as one of the first five members. He received the second-highest vote total, behind Ty Cobb and tied with Babe Ruth.

Although Cobb is frequently cited as the greatest player of the dead-ball era, some contemporaries regarded Wagner as the better all-around player, and most baseball historians consider Wagner to be the greatest shortstop ever. Cobb himself called Wagner "maybe the greatest star ever to take the diamond."

Comments

• Options
    If only he could have obtained biblical longevity, he would have been 136 today.
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    My one and only Hans.

• Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Thats a beauty!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Honus! image

Steve
  • Options
    Happy 137th birthday, Honus.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    My best contribution to the Honus party....

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>If only he could have obtained biblical longevity, he would have been 136 today. >>

Welcome back Bill. Looks like a Math class was NOT the reason you have not been around! LOL (137) HAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>If only he could have obtained biblical longevity, he would have been 136 today. >>

Welcome back Bill. Looks like a Math class was NOT the reason you have not been around! LOL (137) HAHAHA >>

Considering that post was from a year ago, I don't think Bill is, or ever will be, back
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    ...........................i have since added Honus to my PC!

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    This is the 2nd most significant Shortstop birthday this week!*

* My favorite player of all time is Alan Trammell (DOB 02-21-1958)
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    "Piedmont" Red Portrait haha

This is the true image of the "Sweet Caporal" Wagner above....

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Welcome back Bill. Looks like a Math class was NOT the reason you have not been around! LOL (137) HAHAHA >>

Considering that post was from a year ago, I don't think Bill is, or ever will be, back >>

LOL YOU ARE RIGHT! And I guess I have not been to any reading classes lately either!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Happy 138th birthday, Honus.
  • Options

<< <i>Considering that post was from a year ago, I don't think Bill is, or ever will be, back >>

What better reason for you to pleasure yourself?.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone see the MLB Network show "Baseball IQ" last night and the final question was "name the 19 Baseball HOF players whose last name begins with the letter R" & the dude from the Diamondbacks answers Honus Wagner as guess # 1....?

and this guy was in the semi-finals!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    man, i was gonna come on here and be a smart fart and say,, he aint never going to here you,,, but goodness look at all the nice cards of him,, nice,, j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Gotta love that slab # Stoney!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gotta love that slab # Stoney! >>

Agree Jim!

When PSA was new - they brought the card out for display at the National in 1992 - I have to say - it looked iconic to me!

That was my first national also.
    Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Looks like he is having worm and dirt cake
  • Options
    Happy 139th Honus!
  • Options
    Game one of the 1909 world series features a confrontation between Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner. The story goes that Cobb on first base shouted down to shortstop Wagner, "Get ready, I'm coming down."Wagner responds, I'll be waiting" - and he is. He tags Cobb in the face cutting his lip and loosening three teeth. Wagner then tells Cobb. "We also play a little rough in this league, Mr Cobb."

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Game one of the 1909 world series features a confrontation between Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner. The story goes that Cobb on first base shouted down to shortstop Wagner, "Get ready, I'm coming down."Wagner responds, I'll be waiting" - and he is. He tags Cobb in the face cutting his lip and loosening three teeth. Wagner then tells Cobb. "We also play a little rough in this league, Mr Cobb."

image >>

Haha... cool story and awesome card, Dean. Not sure if it is fact or fiction, but I recall hearing that story and Cobb supposedly said, "Get ready, Krauthead...." Heh. Cobb. That SOB. The story might've been embellished, though....

• Options
    Thanks Chuck. I have heard the "krauthead" version too. Wouldn't be surprised if that were the true story. image