Home Sports Talk

Man sues KC Royals after getting hit in the eye by a hot dog

What they use for shooting hot dogs into the stands is like a minature cannon, the mascot at a local minor league
park I go to does the same thing.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Baseball fans who sit six rows behind the third-base dugout at the Kansas City Royals' stadium know they might have to duck a few foul balls.

But a Kansas man says it was a flying hot dog, not a baseball, that almost put his eye out last year.

John Coomer has filed a lawsuit against the Royals seeking more than $25,000 for injuries he sustained Sept. 8 when he was smacked in the eye with a hot dog chucked by the team's mascot, Sluggerrr.

Coomer said the wayward wiener caused a detached retina and the development of cataracts in his left eye.

The Royals declined to comment Tuesday. The team is looking for someone new to wear the mascot's large lion costume, spokesman Toby Cook says there's "no connection" with the hot dog affair.

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    The fact that a lawyer took this case makes me want to turn in my law license and go get another job. How pathetic!
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The fact that a lawyer took this case makes me want to turn in my law license and go get another job. How pathetic! >>

I hear ya, but in this case, firing a wrapped rectangular object at the crowd through a "minature cannon" seems like a bad idea to me. I think the plaintiff is likely gonna receive some money in this case through a settlement.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am certainly not a legal expert however if the Royals are confident this happened as stated they should write the guy a check immediately and thank their lucky stars the guy has an idiot for an attorney.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• I'm not a fan of the lawsuit culture we live in today, but this guy's claim seems legitimate to me.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    wayward weiner....my new favorite phrase of the day
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    this is exactly why you don't fire them Directly into the stands.

at the Tribe games they do this with hot dogs and t-shirts but they aim nearly straight up into the air.

You're more likely to get hurt by others trying to grab the item when it lands.

To fire it almost directly into the stands is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.

<< <i>

<< <i>The fact that a lawyer took this case makes me want to turn in my law license and go get another job. How pathetic! >>

I hear ya, but in this case, firing a wrapped rectangular object at the crowd through a "minature cannon" seems like a bad idea to me. I think the plaintiff is likely gonna receive some money in this case through a settlement. >>

...or if it's gonna be done by the mascot, make sure the trajectory is very high and the hot dog can then come downward and lose much of its velocity. I mean this poor guy was only 6 rows behind the dugout and this projectile wrapped probably in a combination of tin foil and paper is fired at him at high speed?

I hate frivolous lawsuits, but I think this guy is gonna get some money - how much i don't know.

<< <i>this is exactly why you don't fire them Directly into the stands.

at the Tribe games they do this with hot dogs and t-shirts but they aim nearly straight up into the air.

To fire it almost directly into the stands is just plain stupid and asking for trouble. >>

I hate that when someone beats me to the idea. image
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You're more likely to get hurt by others trying to grab the item when it lands. >>

I hate that when someone beats me to the idea. image >>

I hate when others try to grab my wiener.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    Would you believe, according to an episode of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, that more lawsuits were actually filed in the 1800s than in the 1900s? That's quite surprising.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

<< <i>Would you believe, according to an episode of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, that more lawsuits were actually filed in the 1800s than in the 1900s? That's quite surprising. >>

I thought most lawsuits in the 1800's were handled by the law firm of Smith & Wesson. image
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

To fire it almost directly into the stands is just plain stupid and asking for trouble. >>

Apparently the hot dog in question was hand-thrown, not fired from the cannon, which makes it hard to believe that a hot dog thrown, behind the back like this was, can detach a retina.
    Travis
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    Apparently the hot dog in question was hand-thrown, not fired from the cannon, which makes it hard to believe that a hot dog thrown, behind the back like this was, can detach a retina.

My thoughts exactly!

• << <i>

Apparently the hot dog in question was hand-thrown, not fired from the cannon, which makes it hard to believe that a hot dog thrown, behind the back like this was, can detach a retina. >>

The plot thickens.
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Speaking of Sluggerr, the Royals are hiring for his replacement. They're keeping the same mascot- just need someone to wear the suit. Updating my resume now.
    imageRIP
    No changes planned in Omaha after alleged hot dog incident in Kansas City

February 24, 3:05 PM

A Kansas man has filed suit alleging Kansas City Royals’ mascot Slugerrr threw a hot dog during a game at Kauffman Stadium last September causing the man’s retina to detach.

According to the Kansas City Star, the lawsuit claims that the man was sitting about six rows up from the third-base dugout.

The newspaper goes on to quote the lawsuit as saying, “ ... (Sluggerrr) attempted to throw a hotdog into the stands with a throw behind his back. Instead of throwing the hotdog at an arch high into the stands, (Sluggerrr) lost control of his throw, or was reckless with his throw, and threw the hotdog directly into plaintiff, who was sitting a few feet away.”

The case is set for mediation on June 1.

So, are the Omaha Royals planning to make any changes regarding the way their mascots and other promotional personnel interact with fans in the future?

“None at all,” said Omaha Royals vice president and general manager Martie Cordaro in an email. “We will practice the same safety and training measures that we have had in place in previous seasons.”

When asked if officials with the organization in Kansas City have issued any directives to the Omaha Royals about changing the way the team plans to practice its promotional events, Cordaro said that the Major League club doesn’t deal with the Omaha club, with the exception of player personnel, so there would be no need for such a directive.
    yea, it's a slow newsday. LOL