Home Sports Talk
Options

Eagles Release Brian Westbrook

stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Eagles Release Brian Westbrook

.2/23/2010 2:20 PM ET By Bruce Ciskie

After he suffered through an injury-plagued 2009 season, there were questions about whether the Philadelphia Eagles would allow running back Brian Westbrook to see the 2010 season at Lincoln Financial Field.

Instead of waiting it out, the team made a quick decision, announcing Tuesday that they will release the veteran. The move will clear Westbrook's $7.25 million salary for the 2010 season off the books.

Westbrook missed eight games with concussion problems in 2009, and he had his worst season (statistically) since his rookie campaign.

The move comes one day after another star running back -- San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson -- was released by his team.

Westbrook ran for just 274 yards in 2009, added 181 yards receiving, and scored only two touchdowns.

His Philadelphia career drew praise from Eagles brass in a statement on the team's website Tuesday.

"Brian is one of the greatest Eagles of all time and he is even a better person and leader," said head coach Andy Reid. "In my mind, there has not been a more versatile running back that the NFL has seen. I had a conversation with Brian this morning to let him know. This is by far the most difficult part of this job. We wanted to make this move now in order to maximize Brian's chances of landing with another NFL team."

... "Brian Westbrook is one of the most electric players in the history of this franchise and is certainly also one of the most popular," said Eagles Chairman Jeffrey Lurie. "He was personally one of the my favorite players to watch each and every Sunday and his playmaking abilities, leadership and values will be missed."

Said team president Joe Banner, "We all know how valuable Brian was as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles and he will certainly go down as one of the greatest Eagles of all time. But what really showed me how special a person Brian is, was watching the way he interacted with my children. That said more to me about Brian than anything else he could have done on the playing field. We will miss him both as a person and as a player."For his career in Philadelphia, Westbrook topped 9,750 yards from scrimmage and scored 68 touchdowns, which ranks third on the team's all-time list. He set the Eagles record with over 2,100 yards from scrimmage in 2007.

Given his injury history, Westbrook, who will turn 30 before the NFL season opens in September, may find it hard to come anywhere close to that $7.25 million he was scheduled to earn in 2010. He will likely have to settle for an incentive-laden deal, even though the league is headed for an uncapped year.

He has a lot of miles on the proverbial tires, and the fact that he's had trouble avoiding concussions will only add to teams' apprehension.

That said, he's only 30, and he might prove to be a better option at around $3 million or so than a mid-round draft pick would be for less money. With a slew of teams looking at depth issues at running back, Westbrook should be able to find work if his mindset is right.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An absolute stud in his prime.
  • Options

<< <i>An absolute stud in his prime. >>

Brian gave it his all - a true football warrior.

I'm sad to say though that I believe the Eagles made the right decision - I don't think Brian has anything left as far as football is concerned.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When healthy, he could do it all...a healthy Westbrook won me a lot of fantasy football games, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i hope he retires for his health

fun to watch though
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>i hope he retires for his health

fun to watch though >>

I completely agree with that - the Eagles have stated that they would like to have him back on the team in a non-player capacity.

Westbrook has said that he wants to continue playing, but I'm not sure if any team will pay him what he wants for what he is able to give back at this point. I think he's only 30 years old, but that can be old age for many running backs, and when running backs go bad, they usually go bad quickly.

I hope Brian retires for his sake but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets invited to an NFL camp and he keeps on trying - sports warriors like him die hard.
  • Options
    Check this Poser who called in on ESPN and they thought they had the real Westbrook.

Youtube link
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi