Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unexpected TTM from Jeff Schneider

When the 1982 Topps Triple signed Bonner/Ripken/Schneider happened I royally screwed something up in the process. I had spoken with Jeff Schneider and asked about the possibility of doing an interview with my request to send a pair of '82 rookie cards to sign. Jeff said he would think about answering some questions and that he would sign the cards. Well life happened and before I knew it some two years had gone by before getting back with Jeff. I sent a letter asking about the interview with a signed '82 from Bobby Bonner. The card came back signed with no mention of the interview. I genuinely felt terrible about the delay and called him earlier this year to apologize and ask if he would still answer some questions. Jeff was quick to point out that it was a long time ago and that he had not done an interview in a long time. I asked if he would at least look at some questions if I sent them in the mail. He said he'd look at them but made no promises.

I sent Jeff two pages with typed questions. A few weeks went by and I figured I blew my chance of getting his recollections about his baseball days. Of course this would be disappointing to miss out on talking to one of the guys on the 1982 Topps rookie card after corresponding with Bobby and Cal. Since Jeff is also in the 1981 TCMA, 1981 WTF set and participant in "The Longest Game" in baseball history I was pretty frustrated in myself. Today I got home late and found an envelope I had been expecting from IronManFan with contents about the Cal Ripken, Sr., Foundation. Under his envelope was an envelope I immediately recognized as a TTM envelope. I saw the Illinois postmark and ripped it open. There it was, two pages of questions with handwritten answers from Jeff Schneider. Jeff was willing to give detailed responses to every question that I asked. Needless to say I am thankful, relieved and thrilled!

I certainly look forward to sharing what Jeff had to say with all of you!

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    awesome Chris; I am glad he took the time to respond!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>awesome Chris; I am glad he took the time to respond! >>

Thanks! The word of the day is definitely relief. If I had to wager I would've guessed I had better odds of not hearing back. Obviously I am not part of Jeff's inner circle. However I can understand how he might desire the "normal" life he mentioned in the interview.

I need to create a schedule to get all of this great information posted. I have 4 or 5 interviews just waiting to be added to the site. I am not sure how I am going to post Jeff's session but I am considering a scan and letting everyone read the responses in the same way I did when I got it in the mail.
  • Options

<< <i>

Thanks! The word of the day is definitely relief. If I had to wager I would've guessed I had better odds of not hearing back. Obviously I am not part of Jeff's inner circle. However I can understand how he might desire the "normal" life he mentioned in the interview.

I need to create a schedule to get all of this great information posted. I have 4 or 5 interviews just waiting to be added to the site. I am not sure how I am going to post Jeff's session but I am considering a scan and letting everyone read the responses in the same way I did when I got it in the mail. >>

I think you should just type out his responses and edit any small need corrections for things like spelling and grammar. It sounds like he is a private person who would not want his handwriting put on the web. Personally I would not want my handwritten notes post online.

It’s cool that he responded to you… congratulations!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I need to create a schedule to get all of this great information posted. I have 4 or 5 interviews just waiting to be added to the site. I am not sure how I am going to post Jeff's session but I am considering a scan and letting everyone read the responses in the same way I did when I got it in the mail. >>

I think you should just type out his responses and edit any small need corrections for things like spelling and grammar. It sounds like he is a private person who would not want his handwriting put on the web. Personally I would not want my handwritten notes post online.

It’s cool that he responded to you… congratulations! >>

Thanks and I will take that in consideration. I only mention that as a possibility because the responses are pretty flawless. The guy has great penmanship!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It’s cool that he responded to you… congratulations! >>

Thanks and I will take that in consideration. I only mention that as a possibility because the responses are pretty flawless. The guy has great penmanship! >>

LOL! I didn't think anyone could write anymore... I know a handwritten note by me would be a mess (not sure where I'd be without MS Office!) I think I'd still ask if he'd mind having his responses scanned and put online.
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to posting the interview. LMK if you see anything that's not right. Enjoy!

Jeff Schneider Interview
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, those are some short but sweet answers! I especially liked that last one:

RITM: Where did life take you after baseball?

Jeff Schneider: To school, family, job, friends. Back to being a normal person.

Yeah, if by a normal person you mean a person that will forever have your face plastered next to one of the best to ever play the game! lol
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, those are some short but sweet answers! I especially liked that last one:

RITM: Where did life take you after baseball?

Jeff Schneider: To school, family, job, friends. Back to being a normal person.

Yeah, if by a normal person you mean a person that will forever have your face plastered next to one of the best to ever play the game! lol >>

When I first spoke to him I kinda got the vibe that he wanted to be known as Jeff the person more than Jeff the baseball player. I hope I did the interview in such a way that it was all about him and not "Tell me about Cal!"
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed that and can't begrudge the guy for being short in his answers since it was nice of him to answer at all. That said, I wish he got a little more in depth. I bet he has some great stories. Maybe you're right about him not wanting to be known as a baseball player.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    He seemed like someone not to fond of interviews, but I could wrong.
  • Options
    In the interest of honesty I was not sure if this would ever happen. When I first chatted with Jeff a few years ago I sensed some apprehensiveness. Of course this is true of other former athletes. What I had to convince Jeff of was that I want to hear his story. I am sure he has received a lot of "You're the guy on Cal's rookie card, tell me about Cal, etc." In fact, the interview that helped me find him was an article asking Jeff about Cal's career. Of course Jeff is not a HOF player but I can understand where it would be difficult being labeled as the guy who played with Cal Ripken, Jr. I got to know Adam Greenberg several years ago when he was in the Cub system. After he was drilled in the head on the only pitch he ever saw in the majors he became "Moonlight Graham" in the eyes of the media. All Adam wanted to be was Adam.

When I made the request this past fall I simply asked Jeff to look at the questions before making a decision and sent them out. Fortunately he decided to share some of his story. However, I can understand from my own life how there comes a point when someone wants to have the title of husband, father, etc. over a title such as athlete.
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Chris,

I enjoyed that very much. Thanks for contributing this piece of baseball history/knowledge with us.
  • Options

<< <i>Chris,

I enjoyed that very much. Thanks for contributing this piece of baseball history/knowledge with us. >>

Thank you so much!