Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

GIVEAWAY: Charles II 3 pence error - winners in first post! (yes, more than one!)

Winner of the Charles II 3d is pendragon1998!!

Since there were so many contestants I've decided to add a few runner-up prizes, they'll be a surprise image
Winners of these are:
JCMhouston
DCH
OchoReales
JimK
goossen

PM me your address, guys, and I'll get these out to you! image

I hope everyone had fun and thanks to all who participated! Remember, there's still the Never Ending Giveaway going on too, so if you didn't win here you can be sure to get some goodies there image

We don't have nearly enough giveaways here anymore! image

Just post to enter!

EDIT - not to make this thread SSP, but in fairness I should mention that I added the chance for two entries in this drawing in my BST thread.

Here's the loot:

I just remembered I won this from Lloyd years ago. Here's what he had to say about it:
"Error reads OAROLVS. Reported as 'C over O' but more likely to be C over inverted C (as some farthings from period)."

Now the question.. what's it worth?

I've listed it on ebay a few times now with what I thought were modest starts, most recently $35, only to get not a single bite. I've seen low end 3 pence of that date sell from $30 to $80+, so I thought with the extra coolness of this one that'd be fair... guess karma was trying to remind me this was a giveaway coin image

I'm just curious on the value, no need to answer that to enter.

Winner to be selected by random number next Sunday.

Comments

• Let's git 'er started! Thanks Spoon! I'm going to have to come up with something for my one year anniversary giveaway (March 17). image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • image Id love the chance to win this , thank you for the opportunity image

Whats it worth....hard to say using ebay guidelines.I watch this type of coin regularly , theres no real rhyme or reason to bids,ive seen coins that go for $180 one week go for $70 the next.
    I would have thought your estimate of approx $30 has to be in the ballpark for that one.
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance! image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nuts, I was just about to offer you $25 for it. Oh well, thanks for the chance.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Looks interesting - thanks for the chance! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Thanks Spoon!
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Ok, I'm in.

Ray
  • OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance! That is very cool!
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Gotta enter-very cool!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance. The 2010 Spink lists this at 12 GBP in Fine, 22 GBP in VF.
  • baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance
  • Thanks!!!

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    cool! never heard of nor seen it before! very cool!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, a CircCam!

I love it, but I must confess I'd probably end up selling it anyway, since it's outside my core focus collections. So don't enter me unless you feel like it.

If you do, and I win, I pledge a giveaway of equal value.

Edit: aaargh. I like it. Please enter me. I am just too tempted by that black-n'-white CircCam-iness. If I win, I will give away something nice.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

Today's been a bad day. Since I'm still up at 5:22, I'll give it a shot. Think the 3d would look good with my 4d?

I'll take a guess at $30 value, but I'm not sure.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that 4d looks familiar, I think...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Wow, that is an old one isn't it?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance!
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Hmm... seems not many are picking up on my ulterior motives now that we can't explicitly state such things here image

Maybe I should mention free shipping for forum members on anything over $10 or $1 otherwise.

(Not that anyone ever reads beyond the first post in a giveaway image )

--

That is a nice 4d, Michael! I've always liked the stylized monogram as denom on these image
    Thanks - it's an ex-LordMarcovan. I get a kick out of it. I bid on one of those coins, so maybe my groat will gain a brother.
  • RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    I've seen 4 of these so far. The best one I've seen to date is this one. Link. As you can see from the image, it appears to be a C over a reversed or a rotated 120 degrees clockwise C. Even with the extra relief seen on this coin the precise form isn't conclusive. Needless to say, don't enter me into the giveaway. As to value, it is a difficult one because small silver is not so widely collected by people with lots of spare cash. I plumped for x2 Spink price based on it being an unrecorded error, but given the prevalence of die cutters' error in the legends throughout history, it probably doesn't add much more value than this.
  • Hey, I'll play! I would love to have one of those, since I've only recently (this past year or so) discovered the fun of collecting early milled British pieces.

Thanks!
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. $20-30 seems about right to me.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • I'm in. That would be my first milled coin. Thanks for the chance.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
    Thanks for the info Rob! I agree, the small specialty collector base probably doesn't allow for too much of a premium. I always seem to have terrible timing when I sell more esoteric stuff, too. I don't know how many times I've let something go low just to get it out the door, only to have someone write a day later "I just saw this, I would've offered....!" Oh well. image

TTT - a few days left, ends Sunday with the possibility for two chances to win!
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting coin...
    Count me in.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Thanks for the chance!
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Spoon! I'm in! Thanks.
  • TCoinsTCoins Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Cool. Thanks for the chance.
  • Ok, I'm in.
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    thnx
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cool! One of my ancestors. Thanks, Spoon!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    cool coin,
    Please count me in,
    Thanks,
    Richard
  • I'm in. Thanks for the chance!
  • I'm in also...Thanx
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the shot!image
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • I'm coming up on 500 so I will have to do a nice giveaway as well.
    Thanks for the chance on this one!
    Jim
  • Thanks for the chance .........

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • I'm in and bid on a few.
  • thanks for the chance
    Auctions coming to a close now.. drawing once they're done, add your entry if you haven't already!

<< <i>Winner of the Charles II 3d is pendragon1998!!

Here's the loot:

I just remembered I won this from Lloyd years ago. Here's what he had to say about it:
    "Error reads OAROLVS. Reported as 'C over O' but more likely to be C over inverted C (as some farthings from period)."

>>

Hey, thanks so much for the Charles II giveaway! I was really hoping to put that cool error next to the 4d. I can't wait to see it in-hand. I need to put together another giveaway myself sometime soon.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin, cool winner, cool host!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22