Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico Gold 50 Peso 1947 - Slab it?

A friend has some gold he is going to sell. Included is a 1947 Mexican 50 Peso Gold that looks to me to grade at 66. I see the pop reports, nice grade, not spectacular...but I can't find any pricing guide or even sold slabbed 50 pesos. Is there a premium grade market for these things?
Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Comments

• Options
    ttt
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Bullion is bullion unless its close to a 100 year-old coin and even then I don't think there's
    that much of a premium.

I wouldn't slab but that's just me.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1947 is basically a bullion coin- if it were an earlier date and worth of a 66, then it would be worth considering

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the others. Slabing will make it easier to sell as an original coin vs. a potential counterfeit. Grade will not bring much of a premiim.

Price depends on the current market price of gold.
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    I agree don't slab. This is the restrike year for the 50 Peso and they trade a little over spot. Nice ones are easy to come by.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Taking them to Balty show next week to sell off.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the replies. Taking them to Balty show next week to sell off. >>

Good decision unless you were keeping them strictly for bullion investment