Home Sports Talk
Options

USA BEATS CANADA!!

Fantastic game. United States looked very well.

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

The US got worked all night and was incredibly lucky to win. That said, it was a blast to see them pull it off.
  • Options
    today in a whole had great hockey games, the russian czech game was great.
  • Options

<< <i>today in a whole had great hockey games, the russian czech game was great. >>

Ovechkin's hit on Jagr was the game changer! The guy continues to do amazing things all over the ice.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Ovechkin's hit on Jagr was the game changer! The guy continues to do amazing things all over the ice.

and people like Pierre Maguire will continue to think that because Ovechkin hits, he's a good defender.
  • Options

<< <i>Ovechkin's hit on Jagr was the game changer! The guy continues to do amazing things all over the ice.

and people like Pierre Maguire will continue to think that because Ovechkin hits, he's a good defender. >>

Haha yeah. Notice how i said he does amazing things all over the ice and not how hes an amazing all around player image
  • Options
    its going to be one heck of a gold even bronze medal games
  • Options
    no one believed the U.S. could win
  • Options
    It's a good thing Ryan Miller is playing well

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Why are people saying Canada had its best NHL players on the team. So, if NHL players are allowed, didn't the USA also have its elite?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Why are people saying Canada had its best NHL players on the team. So, if NHL players are allowed, didn't the USA also have its elite? >>

Certainly. But it's widely accepted that the talent pool in Canada is much better than the one in the U.S. Further, some have even stated that they feel this is the most talented team Canada has ever had in the Olympics. They may feel differently now, but this was not an uncommon perception of this team going into Vancouver. Canada expected to win. Most expected them to win. Good win for the U.S. Great game by Miller and Rafalski.
  • Options
    Most talented team ever, but not the best TEAM ever.

I still don't quite understand how Steven Stamkos and Marty St. Louis didn't make it. Lecavalier is having a down year so he's understandable but the other two are playing fantastic right now.
  • Options
    if canada wins that russia/canada quarterfinal is going to be huge.
  • Options
    well look no further than Japan winning the first 2 WBC series. They don't have the talent that the US, DR, or Venezuela has...and it's not like their WBC teams are all MLB players. Most of them play in the Japanese Leagues which are compared to the talent level in Triple A. It's hockey, there's a lot of breaks that can go either way, or a goalie 'stands on his head'. The US beat the Canadians in the 2010 World Juniors too...on any given night...

Great game by Miller and Rafalski.

great game offensively by Rafalski...defensively not so much. Left his check on Heatley for the first Canadian goal, and then was late to rotate on the third. I was impressed by Erik Johnson and Tim Gleason's(who knew) defensive performances though . To be able to beat the northerners without much contribution from 2 of the US' top offensive players (Kane & Kessel) and to a lesser extent Parise, that's impressive.
  • Options
    DO YOU BELIEVE IN MILD UPSETS!
    yawn

medal round different story
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's a Canadian's perspective......

I think Canada does have the best forwards and defense,

however, the US definitely has the best goalie. Ryan Miller is just playing flat out outstanding!!

With all that said, I don't know why, but I'm thinking the Swedish team has the best chance to win Gold.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Most talented team ever, but not the best TEAM ever.

I still don't quite understand how Steven Stamkos and Marty St. Louis didn't make it. Lecavalier is having a down year so he's understandable but the other two are playing fantastic right now. >>

Tryouts were in June, at which time Stamkos wasn't in the running. He had a great second half last year, but my God- I mean just look at that team that Yzerman assembled. There would have been blood in the streets if a kid with 1/2 a year of strong hockey under his belt had beat out someone like Brendan Morrow.

Edit to add:
    Blog link for some commentary on the Stamkos controversy.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Most talented team ever, but not the best TEAM ever.

I still don't quite understand how Steven Stamkos and Marty St. Louis didn't make it. Lecavalier is having a down year so he's understandable but the other two are playing fantastic right now. >>

Tryouts were in June, at which time Stamkos wasn't in the running. He had a great second half last year, but my God- I mean just look at that team that Yzerman assembled. There would have been blood in the streets if a kid with 1/2 a year of strong hockey under his belt had beat out someone like Brendan Morrow.
    >>

I've read that article and I can understand why he wasn't selected to the original team. But although the orientation camp was in June, the roster was not selected until December 30th and Patrice Bergeron was selected without attending the camp either. Also, when Ryan Getzlaf went down with a sprained ankle a couple weeks ago, Yzerman named Jeff Carter (a tremendous player) the alternate to replace Getzlaf, if need be.

I'm not really complaining, and don't care that much since he's not an American (there'd be a complaint over Malone getting snubbed by the USA) but I would've liked to see him on the team and I think he could have helped them. It kind of sucks to see someone who is so hot right now and has one of the best one-timers in the league sitting during the Olympics. Hopefully him, Marty, and Vinny come out firing after the break image

BTW: By reading the hockey boards, many Canadian fans would have loved to have Stammer on the team instead of a few other players.

• Options
    who would you say is doing better in the tourney crosby or ovie?
  • Options
    Bergeron and Morrow were selected over St. Louis, Stamkos, Jeff Carter, and any other alleged snub, because of defense. People tend to forget that forwards are supposed to play defense too. Those guys are supposed to be the checking 4th liners along with Toews, but they've been moved up at times because the forwards on the Canadian team have been awful defensively as a collective. Yeah they're landing hits, but hits don't = defense. Granted the goalies haven't been great, and neither Boyle or Niedermayer are any good in the defensive end either, but a lot of the Canadian teams' problems are coming from having a collective group of forwards who are average to below average defensively aside from Toews, and Bergeron, and Morrow..the latter two unfortunately for them, have been shaky as well...see the first Rafalski goal with Bergeron leaving his check to double E. Johnson and promptly getting caught out of position. Toews and Marleau have been their two best defensive forwards from what I've seen so far. No surprise on Toews, no one outworks him on the boards.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    USA!USA!USA!

What did we win? Hockey?

When are the closing ceremonies? That's my favorite Olympic event.