Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Roosevelt FB set questions

I'm almost finished with one set and was thinking of starting this one. However, looking through the pop reports on the What If part of my set, they are all very low as well as low grade. Is this denomination unpopular so no one has made a bunch of coins? Does this also explain the lack of FB's or are they just really hard to come by? I still have a lot to learn so I'm just asking before I jump in.
Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times

Comments

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but even ones WITHOUT FB's still have very low pops. Sounds like a new challenge...
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full Bands ARE overrated!! I go by eye appeal. Like someone else said...I would rather have a 67 than a 65FB any day!!
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Roosevelts and if you want a challenge, this is the series.

As previously stated, the clad set is very tough in FB. Several years dont have a FB specimen and for others only 1-2 exist between both major grading services. The silver series will be easier to complete in FB, but if you want top grades, expect to pay some big money for some years! Looking at the population reports can reveal how tough some dates are.

• Options
    Yeah, that's what prompted me to ask some questions. Some dates are just brutal for FB!! But I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks FB are over rated. Yeah, I know they are rarer and harder to come by, but I'd much rather have a 67 vs a 65FB. It SHOULD look nicer but it will most likely be cheaper.
  • Options
    I would agree that a MS67 would be a better coin than a MS65FB. The problem that I always have is MS67 or MS66FB, better yet MS68 vs MS67FB. Both are super nice coins, one has designation and the other doesnt. Which one do you go for????
  • Options
    The better value one. If they are kinda the same price, I'd go with the FB hands down. More points. It's all about the points!!! image
  • Options
    To me it's NOT about points, but about eye appeal. Some times those bands can tack on another 3 or 4 K, especially in the early Mercs.
  • Options
    Points shouldnt be the main guide in building your set. Rules are subject to change with the registry. Just ask several of the folks on NGC about what happened to their dime sets last year when they revised the scoring. Perhaps if you have a nice looking pair of coins that you cant decide between, maybe then you could use the point system as the deciding factor.
  • Options
    I know. I was just being sarcastic about the points. image I was saying that if you found lets say a 68 for $50 and a 67FB for $55, I'd go with the 67FB. With modern coins, the eye appeal should be negligible between them at that date and the FB SHOULD have the better strike. I almost wished that I liked washingtons or kennedy's are neither has a silly designation. But I don't.
  • Options
    Out of all the designators the only one that really matters for looks is the full head quarter. They do look better. All the rest don't. I would much rather have the hair on the obv. of the Merc. any day. Roosies don't matter at all. Full bell lines on Franklins, who cares. Most of the time they really aren't there. Full step nickels, again who cares.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Out of all the designators the only one that really matters for looks is the full head quarter. They do look better. All the rest don't. I would much rather have the hair on the obv. of the Merc. any day. Roosies don't matter at all. Full bell lines on Franklins, who cares. Most of the time they really aren't there. Full step nickels, again who cares. >>

I'm not sure I agree on your assessment of Franklin bell lines. Deeply set bell lines, which more often end up meaning full bell lines, are a more compelling look IMO. It is after all... our liberty bell and that's part of it's character of the bell just like the crack. Many of the San Francisco Franklins with mushy bell areas that have moved through my hands leave me kind of wanting. To a point, I feel the same way about Jeffersons. Missing steps means a visible and somewhat important design feature are missing.

But I generally agree with your opinions on dime bands.
    Jeff
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    I collected them in full band, but mainly because it was soooo much harder. I had more fun assembling the set in full band.
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    Going to have to agree with JHF on this one. FB's are a lot more difficult to find.
    Not overrated as others have put them. I have owned a MS69 non-sf coin. My
    68FB looked better because the detail on the torch was all there. I decided to sell
    the MS69 and keep the 68FB. look at the complete dime and you will see that
    FB will be a better strike in the long run. I still will pick a 65FB over a 67 due to the strike.
    I have a 95-D MS65FB and a MS67. Which one do you think looks better?
    NOT the MS67.........
    Give it a try. You can always go non-FB later if you dont agree.

BILL
  • Options
    I disagree. A 67 ALWAYS looks better than a 65FB.

I would much rather have the cleaner surfaces than the minute difference of detail on the bands.

A 67 is almost perfect while the 65 will have many hits.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

I would always take a 67 over a 65FB in the silver series. Not so in the clad series. I would choose
    rarity over looks in the clads. Offer me a 1970P MS67 or a 1970P MS65FB and I'll take the 65FB over the 67.
    I would also take a 66FB top pop clad over a 68.
  • Options
    LOL! Boy! Did this stir up some debate! I will agree with Dimeman on the STQ. A full head IS much nicer to look at and I can see the premium they go for. Everything else is all up to the person's preference of what they like. I can't see the diff between a FS and non FS nickle but then again, I don't collect them. I'll just try to go with the better value and what looks nicer.

edited to put in looks nicer. My fingers hit send before my brain was done thinking. image
  • Options
    Roosies don't matter at all.
    John, This is your opinion and only yours.

The topic question was about full bands and are they hard to come by in the clad Dimes.
    The answer to the post is YES. Clad FB's are tough and if you want a challenge, this is it.
    I'm still working at it and have many rolls and sets still to go through.

ACR is correct in the fact that many of the MS67 coins I have seen as well, I wouldnt give a 65 too.
    Find what suits you and let me know. I might have a low pop coin that would start you off.

BILL
  • Options
    Well, I bought a couple FB's that I thought were a good price so I'll see how they look compared to a similar non FB. Then it's fun time! image
  • Options
    In answer to the original question ask. Yes FB clad dimes are for the most part very hard to find. Especially the early years 1965-1985. I think there are two main reasons.

1) The metal does not strike up as good as silver, so there are not as many to start with.

2) In that time period no body cared about clad coins, so the were not saved.

Result is that there are not that many around. In 1964 when silver was taken out of coins the 1964 and before coins were instantly taken out of circulation and hoarded and the clad coins were spent and not saved at all.

JMHO
  • Options
    This has been a great debate. I love the challenge with the FB Roosevelts. Too bad more collectors dont appreciate their rarity. As a re sult of the thread, I resurrected a post I made recently with some MS67 clad dimes that I have for sale.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    To each is own. I've done FB and I've done non-FB, both are fun and for different reasons. Today,I'm much more of a non-FB person from a collecting aspect but if I were into Roosies for profit, I'd certainly concentrate on FB as that's where the money is.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Well said Craig, that pretty much sums it up. image
    Dan
  • Options
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for me to chime in!

Don't listen to Dimeman! He is CRAZY! image Actually he knows more about dimes than most. Except the Roosevelt series.

Listen to JHF and OnlyRoosies as they are SERIOUS Roosevelt Dime Guys, as I once was.

I spent several years and several thousand $$$ assembling the 1965-Date set and looked through countless rolls and boxes of modern new Roosevelt dimes. It was FUN!!! It was also very tiring and profitable. But it was FUN and I enjoyed making FB Roosies. It was more rewarding to collect the FB dimes, because my set was high end to the max. Lots of MS68FB's. Now the 1970- in MS65FB vs. MS66/67, lets see... I would take the 5FB over the 67 anyday, because the strike is much better. Thats why I had the 5FB in my set.

You cannot build this set today w/o certain people to help you. Its virtually impossible to assemble this set even in non-FB high grade by yourself, no matter how many sets of rolls you look at.

FB is the fun way to go and very rewarding too.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul, good to see you back. I was wondering how long you could take my slant on full bands without chimeing in. Yes, I'm crazy...crazy like a fox. I just won't spend the big money on full bands. Not just Roosies, but with Mercs as well. It's just not worth the extra $$$$$$$ to me when the looks aren't any better. Give me a 67 over a 65FB ANY DAY !!! Collecting all dimes I have to spread my $$$$$ futher and go with the high grade no bands, which is cheaper than a lower grade with the bands.

But if it is the challange you are after......then yes, the full bands are much harder to find on most dates.

JMHO