Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever seen a photo of one of your coins taken 120 years ago? (photos from catalog added)

At Kolbe's sale of the Stack Library in January I bought a catalog of Chapman's December 1890 sale of the Thomas Cleneay collection. Plate 5 of the catalog shows a selection of 24 dollars and half dollars and includes a 1795 half dollar I bought from Kathleen Duncan for my type set. The coin looks exactly like it did 120 years ago. It was later owned by T James Clark and Norweb.

I usually don't get over-excited about pedigrees but seeing the how the coin looked over 100 years ago makes me want to take very good care of it. I'll try to take a photo from the catalog tonight but here's what the coin looks like today (PCGS MS63):

imageimage

Who is John Galt?

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.
    I would like to see the auction photo's when you can shoot it.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that story is great.

Knowing the history behind the coin you own has to give one the warm and fuzzy's
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the picture. It'd be interesting trying to take good pictures of coins with 1890s technology. At least they didn't have to worry about slabs and trying to capture accurate color.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How cool is that, finding one of your coins in a catalog and tracking the pedigree to the previous owners. I am looking forward to viewing the photo of your half dollar from Chapmans catalog image
  • Options

<< <i>Congrads ! Beautiful speciman, kind of goes to prove that grerat coins had to be owned by the great collectors of years gone by.
    Was it attributed on the pcgs holder to any of the above pedigrees?
    Does the Chapman catalog have any plates for bust dimes and bust half dimes? >>

Plate 7 shows 27 bust dimes and 9 bust half dimes.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options

That is awesome, did they offer a grade in the sale catalog ?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shazam!
    Great coin, great story!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>That is awesome, did they offer a grade in the sale catalog ? >>

Described in the catalog as:

1795 Uncirculated. Sharp impression. Mint lustre. Die slightly cracked from R and T to second star before head; lower curl between first and second star. Extremely rare in this condition. Plate V.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    How super neat to have the catalog 'and' the coin. Very special O-110A.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is cooool.
  • Options
    That is cool. I would love to see the two images side by side.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Nice coin, What did PCGS grade it back then? image
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great story and gorgeous coin!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is intriquing and it captivates the imagination of anyone who appreciates history, not to mention U.S. coins.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin looks exactly like it did 120 years ago. >>

So much for Natural Toning!

Which begs the question: Why hasn't it toned?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and thank you for sharing this , too
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool, but for a coin like that, what would be REALLY cool, would be seeing a photo of it when it was struck or thereafter image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Neat! Excited to see what the original looks like!
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    That coin is gorgeous! wanna trade image

Actually that coin is toned and I like the toning, subtle, yet far from white. No?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That is very cool. Can't wait to see the catalog photo!

Beautiful flowing hair half, BTW. Amazing detail and wonderful preservation.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>That coin is gorgeous! wanna trade image

Actually that coin is toned and I like the toning, subtle, yet far from white. No? >>

Yes, it is far from white.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Furthest back I have is 1945, or 65 years ago.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The coin looks exactly like it did 120 years ago. >>

So much for Natural Toning!

Which begs the question: Why hasn't it toned? >>

Looks toned to me in the photo, and although the op says it looks the same maybe he was just saying it is the same coin as opposed to explicity describing any and all changes to the coin, like a darkening or lightening for that matter. I could see it changing slightly maybe a bit darker but then I will wager it will be hard to tell much from the photo taken in 1890 for subtle changes in toning. >>

Yeah yeah. Maybe this and maybe that.

My take is the OP stated "The coin looks exactly like it did 120 years ago." which, since he obviously wasn't there 100 years ago (Edward is that you??), tells me the coin looks the same today (in hand) as it did in the plate photo.

I would surmise from his photo (assuming it is accurate) that very little toning has occured on this coin which IMO is a very good thing. But it also says, why all the other MONSTER RAINBOW TONERS" out there in the market place?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    From the relatively small photo in the catalog it looks very similar to how it looks in hand today. For example in the catalog you can clearly see the two specks under star 7 and the mark across the top of the eagle's wing facing right.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My earliest pedigree on a coin goes back to a 1903 auction catalog - so only 107 years for me.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Cool piece of history and a very nice coin!

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    The 2/25/1873 Chubbuck sale by John Haseltine is the oldest catalog I have that shows a plate (photo) of a coin I own.

It is always an added bonus when one can connect an object in your collection to a previous time and place, especially when that time spans more than a century. It also adds to ones enjoyment to know who else, whether they be a famous collector or not, may have owned and held a certain coin that you now own.

Although it doesn't mean that everyone should care, it surely makes the coin more special to the collector who is fortunate enough to be able to make the connection.

As to the toning...what occurs over time is always related to how the coin was stored. Environment determines how much toning will be increased or impeded.
    QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Very cool coin and story SmallEagle!

And yes, please post a pic from the catalog. That would be interesting to see.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats amazing!
    cant wait to see your next addition to your type set!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Here are some photos from the Chapman catalog of the Cleneay sale. I apologize as my photography skills aren't what they could be.

The title page:

The preface describing the importance of the sale:

The plate showing my 1795 half dollar (third on left side):

Blurry close-up of the obverse:

Ridiculous early large cents:

Some bust dimes for Realone:

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Kinda makes you wonder where all those early cents are now. I wonder if they survived to present day? Pity if they didn't! You don't see them like that much anymore!

Thanks for sharing the pics and story.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! Kinda makes you wonder where all those early cents are now. I wonder if they survived to present day? Pity if they didn't! You don't see them like that much anymore!

Thanks for sharing the pics and story. >>

I was thinking the same thing.I also wonder how many coins are toned in that catalog.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Very neat!!!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

that is just all kinds of neat. Thanks for sharing. Those are awesome coins! Although primitive, it looks like they captured some of the frostiness on some of those Bust Dimes and Seated Dollars. just awesome.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    That is a great looking coin and a cool story to go along with it. image

Mike
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the coin... but have to be honest as I'm drooling heavier over the Chapman Cleneay auction catalog you posted image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Love the coin... but have to be honest as I'm drooling heavier over the Chapman Cleneay auction catalog you posted image >>

Well it was a lot cheaper let me tell you. image

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If you can't find a 1795 in at least MS-69, why bother?image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool, in a time capsule-y kinda way.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bust dime 1501 looks proof!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Bust dime 1501 looks proof! >>

In the catalog it is described as: 1828 Small Date. Proof. Superb, sharp, even impression. Very rare. Plate 7.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    The seated dollars look proof. Are most of the early dates mentioned as proof in the catalog?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool!image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool catalog! I wonder how many more provenances can be filled in from those pictures.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file