Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bought an expensive card on EBAY--have not received. "REFUNDED"

I purchased a PSA 8 1961 Mantle on EBAY for $800 buy it now. I paid instantly on the 3rd of February. I have not received the card. In the auction it stated UPS 3 day service. I do not use UPS for anything--I've heard too many bad stories. I emailed about a week ago and again 2 days ago and no response at all. Last night I open up a case with Paypal and they will contact the seller. She emails within a few hours and says the card was mailed and that the mail has been slow. Do most of you give this a few more days or just escalate this to a PAYPAL claim? Thanks in advance to your responses.

Mickey71

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    UPS has really been tied up with the snow on the East Coast. I know I've had some one-day ships take 2-4 days to arrive. ALL UPS shipments have tracking numbers, so ask the seller for the tracking info.
  • Options
    Not to pile on but if you were against the UPS shipping you should've considered asking for alternate shipping. One of my last purchases had a shipping method I did not want and the seller agreed to ship it to my preference. Hopefully the weather is the culprit but I would definitely be getting answers.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Otwcards,
    I asked for tracking info in my initial email to the seller and nothing was provided. I will take into account the bad weather. I will let this go about a week before I do anything more. The only bad feedback the seller seemed to have was for slow shipping; so maybe the card will arrive in the next few days. Thanks.

Mickey71
  • Options
    Ripken,
    I just do not ship with UPS. I ship with the USPS. Others can ship anyway they want. I don't think I've ever asked a seller to ship a certain way. There's nothing wrong with that. I've just never asked.

Mickey71
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Buyers are protected via PayPal. They are at NO risk; unless a misdelivered
    item shows as delivered via DC.

The snow is likely the problem. I'd wait a week b4 filing a PP claim.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no reason, none, why a seller wouldn't supply a tracking number if they really shipped it.

Also if you're quoting her verbatim, she used the word "mail" which isn't a word normally associated with a UPS shipment.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Mickey71,
    I know it doesn't really help,but I made a $800 purchase myself on
    the 2nd,It was supposed to be ups as well,Its a U.D. Jordan jersey.I have
    been emailing myself,no response untill today,says package was sent the 5th,
    I paid on the 2nd,before noon,not sure when the snowstorms started,but I don't
    remember it being that bad last week.I thought for $30 to ship,it would be here by now.
    Hopefully both of us see the man in the brown shorts tomm.,

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    stevek is correct.

regardless of circumstances, the seller should be able to provide a tracking number on demand, either a UPS # which is automatic, or at the very least a Delivery or Signature Confirmation w/USPS.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I also purchased a 1956 Billy Martin card on the 3rd of Feb. as well and have not received it. I emailed the seller and they told me it was shipped but that was it. I am going to give it a few more days before i open up a dispute. It is not as expensive as the mantle but i need this card for my collection. Any time I sell a card or anything on ebay, the item always gets shipped out the day they pay (or the very next day if they pay after post office hours). I understand the snow slowing them down but I don't think it should slow them down that much.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I got a package yesterday that a shipper sent priority mail on 2/3. It sat 8 days between maryland and pittsburgh, 220 miles apart. If the trucks can't get through then things get backed up.

Storm is right, if she can't prove you signed for it then paypal will refund your money. And there's no excuse for her not providing tracking information. She's earning 1 star for shipping and communication, possibly a negative as well.

Toolhaus doesn't look good but other people buying high dollars cards have been getting them, you're probably ok.
  • Options
    i would call or email again and get that shipping number, either way your protected, it does suck that its taking so long to get the items these days with all the bad weather, but what can you do?
  • Options
    MJB14MJB14 Posts: 39 ✭✭
    I too recently won an ebay auction and received confirmation that the card was shipped 2/4 from Maryland. I have yet to receive it but did receive an email from ebay last night that stated as follows:

As you may know, the northeast region of the U.S. was recently impacted by severe snow storms causing widespread power outages and closures of many mail-delivery services. States of emergency were declared in many states across the Northeastern US.

We wanted to let you know that at least one of the sellers you have purchased from has been seriously affected by these events. As a result, the shipment of your purchases may be delayed while the seller is getting operations back up and running.

In the event you cannot wait for your shipment, please contact eBay and we will work with the seller to cancel your shipment and refund your money. Please indicate your eBay number in your email.

If you have already received your item, please keep these circumstances in mind when leaving feedback.

Thank you in advance for your patience in this matter. And thanks again for shopping on eBay!

Regards,
    eBay Customer Support

Collecting anything Dan Fouts, Jim Rice, Chris Webber, Ron Francis & Coming Soon: Aaron Hernandez.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This person has been selling some nice cards and receiving + FB.

So, I don't think it's a scam.

My recommendation? If ya get the card in a few days?

I would consider giving a Neutral - and state POOR COMMUNICATION - no email after 1 week until I complained to paypal - or something like that. She's earned that IMO.

That's alot of money to not respond right away to an email.

What? Snow slow down her emails?
    Mike
  • Options
    I called and got her voice mail. No info yet. With all of the other people talking about the weather I think my card is in the snow somewhere. I'll give it a few more days; but some shipment info would be nice.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I bought a lot from eastern states and midwest this past month with a bit of delivery delay however everything arrived sooner or later maybe a week at the most from payment date.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Besides the snow , remember some areas are without electric, last year where I live a storm in august knocked out electric for 7 to 21 days. I was one of the lucky ones and had electric back in 7 days. Sort of hard to answer emails/ship product/eat/or stay warm/cool with no power.

In Ohio we broke the 96 year old snow fall record for February already with 11 days to go and more snow on the way. image
  • Options
    I've always wondered how Yoda would advise Yoda.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that has been a long time. At least it is good that the line of communication is still open. I have been ripped of 4-5 times on ebay, 3 times for over $200. I was reimbursed once by paypal. I would give it another couple of days, but I would think three weeks is long enough. Good luck, I hate it when good people get ripped!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    What's wrong with UPS? Personally, if I'm selling a big ticket item, I go to my local packages place and use UPS (and they professionally pack it for no extra charge too) because you get tracking/delivery confirmation/first $100 insurance at no extra cost, and it's been my experience that they take better care of their packages. I personally don't like the flat-rate USPS boxes/envelopes as they invite poor shipping jobs; I had to send a N64 game back to get replaced because it was only in a thin cardboard envelope (yes the flat rate one) wrapped only in one sheet of newspaper and the corner of the cartridge was chipped off and left a big hole with the circuit board exposed! image

Though I have heard stories about some UPS drivers being quite lazy on deliveries (they just slap the "we were here" sticker on your door without even knocking or anything); luckily our local UPS drivers aren't like that. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Your package store isn't packing your box for free. The rate you're being charged is much higher than what the package store pays UPS to ship your package.
  • Options
    What's wrong with UPS? Really? Hmmmm..... other than the fact that they almost NEVER ask for a signature and routinely leave packages at your doorstep? I was on vacation years ago and I had a case of 1986 Donruss baseball shipped to me. They left the case in front of my gate that led into my patio. When I got back a week later, I had a soggy piece of crap that had been rained on several times. I also lost a hockey jersey the same way. I've also not received several items that they claim they have left at my doorstep. On some of these occasions I have lived at apartments. Many times I have been home and watched them drop the packages off at my door without even attempting to knock. Why would you leave a package at the doorstep of an apartment? Because it is easier and you don't care if it gets stolen. Hey, the USPS ain't perfect, but they are 1000% better than UPS in the dealings I have had.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Seller says it was delivered. This is news to me. I asked again for info on the shipment. This is really beginning to not look good. Is it possible that it was left on my lawn, porch or something? Am I going to have a problem with the whole UPS thing?
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the seller says it was delivered I would check around the perimeter of your house and if you find nothing proceed with the PayPal claim.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>Seller says it was delivered. This is news to me. I asked again for info on the shipment. This is really beginning to not look good. Is it possible that it was left on my lawn, porch or something? Am I going to have a problem with the whole UPS thing? >>

File a paypal claim, because any item over 250.00 requires a signature that the seller has to provide proof and since no one signed for it you win the paypal claim and the seller then must take up any claim with UPS/USPS or whoever they shipped through.
    Sorry about your luck and hope everything works out.
  • Options
    The seller refunded the money. No problems at all. The seller will be fighting with UPS. I hope it works out for her. She was very decent throughout the whole process. The only thing that bothered me at all was one email she said it had already arrived. I never received the card.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    did she ever give you the tracking #? And more importantly, is she hot?