Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone care to comment on my Palestine Mandate collection w/ pics? Dialuppers, BEWARE!

Edited to add; Page two, second post contains my photos. Thanks!

Hello fellow board members,

Rather than continue to add to the thread that Marc began, concerning the coinage from this era of British occupation of the land that was to eventually become the State of Israel, I've decided to start another one. I'll start it off with Marc's comments regarding the relative rarity of each denomination in the series per his years of experience/study, followed by images of my collection (by denomination).

marcmoish's original post;

Sunday September 19, 2004 11:21 PM

I've collected mint state Palestine Mandate coins off and on now for over 25 years. On and off being that over time the need was great to pay for food and living expenses These are quite interesting in itself non-uncirculated too being they are holed, have three languages on them, and of course a period of usage over some 20 years total give or take.

The Palestine coins were minted from 1927 thru 1946. Denominations include 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 ,50, and 100 Mil. The 50 Mil & 100 Mil are silver. Each denomination has it's keys and tough dates. The toughest denomination being the 20 Mil. There are only 59 coins to complete the entire set. In circulated grades they are by and large generally available. In true uncirculated (Mint State) conditions they are scarce with many dates very tough to extremely rare. Therefore reading only 59 coins is misleading once you realize just how tough.

As should be understood most at that time spent and used what monies was available. Few if any would be able to save or put away mint examples etc.

Marc's continuation;

Tuesday September 21, 2004 10:43 PM

To keep it simple all dates and anaylsis is based on true UNC* conditions.

1 Mil

1937 and 1940 are very tough dates to find in mint state conditions especially rare in RED, followed by Red&Brown. I've seen maybe 5 examples of 1937 in true UNC conditions in the past many years. Balance of the dates are readily available. The first year of issue 1927 is the most common date.

2 Mil

1945 and 1946 are scarce but generally can be found with no problem. As above the 1927 is the most common date too.

5 Mil

1934 is the key date here and quite tough - very seldom seen , followed by 1941. The '41 when found in UNC for some weird reason is usually a nice example. The balance of the dates are readily available with the 1927 again being the most common date in Mint State.

10 Mil

Great group of 12 dates here with the 1934 being the toughest. The 1934 though is often found as UNC but most examples are grossly overgraded. In true UNC this is a rare find indeed. The 1933 is likely the next toughest date and very scarce. I've seen only 5-6 examples in well over 10 years. Next we have the 1935 followed by 1943 in bronze (war years) equally scarce but somehat more available. The most common date again is 1927, the first year of issue.

20 Mil

This denomination is the toughest and quite rare in mint state conditons. The key date is 1941 and is very rare followed by 1934 probably equally as rare to find in true mint state conditions. The few I've seen over the years have been overgraded or exhibited way too many nicks to get I'd say anything over MS-62 at PCGS. These two dates are a thrill to own when finally found in pristine conditions. Next toughest date is the 1933 and the 1944 (BR) both equally rare and also seldom found. The most common date if we can even call it that is the 1927 once again, and downright tough mind you.

50 Mil

This silver denomination is often found with beautiful toned surfaces. Many seem to have been washed though long ago. The key date here is the 1931 which is actually quite rare and very seldom seen. In fact this date is most often found cleaned with newly toned surfaces. (I was indeed lucky and did pick up the one in the Heritage sale this month - first I've seen so nice with original toned surfaces and all in about 5 years or more. Should have it this week and will try to get a photo of it up.)
The next tough date is effectively 1934 but while usually available the 1933 seems to be tougher to find. The most common date is 1939 which gives the 1927 a break finally, that said the 1927 is quite scarce indeed in mint state condition.

100 Mil

The key date here in this all silver date run and likely the rarest date in the entire 59 piece set is the 1931. This date is almost never found in mint state conditions. In fact the example Heritage had in this past sale was actually bordeline EF. Yes, you read correct, don't ask how, it happens! . The next tough date and quite rare in TRUE mint state is the 1934 which again is found so often exhibiting harshly cleaned surfaces. Those that have sold as UNC would grade only MS62 with all the nicks common on larger silver coins. Equally as tough and with similar traits is the 1933 also quite rare indeed. The most common date seems to be the 1935 while the 1939 is likely its twin. The 1927 like the 50 Mil is quite scarce too.

* true UNC (UNCIRCULATED i.e. Mint State (MS) condition) is uncleaned, unwashed, full tendrils/wheats with obvious original luster and surfaces. If necesaary I'll try to elaborate further at another time.

I hope this little unofficial analysis can help some of you.

Marc

P.S.Yousri, that Berlin reference book is the first excellent work done on coins and currency of the Palestine Mandate ever. I recommend it to any serious collector of the series. Text
Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

Comments

• Options
    Edited to save space, pictures are moved to top of page 2!

Gary

Gary
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff! I've always liked that dark shade of red on bronze like the 44, but have never been optimistic about it getting a RD designation from TPGs.

What are you shooting on top of in the first couple pics? Makes for a neat textured background image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coins! And good luck completing the series in those grades...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Thanks Eric. Foam, about 1/4 inch thick.

Gary
  • Options
    Thanks Andy! I'm actually complete except for the upgrades I need (the big ones). 1931 50 MILS, 1941 20 MILS and 1944 BR 20 MILS.
    My 1931 100 MILS should come out low UNC and my 1933 and 1934 100 MILS should grade 63. If every you see any nice Mandate coinage, you be sure to let me know. image

Gary
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary,

Makes sense - glad you did start a new thread - pics looks great - the 5 Mils came out yummy - -

Again the pics you have are great ....when I'm 89 years old maybe I'll have time to figure out how to take a normal photoimage

Looking forward to noting what the actual grades come in at image

Marc

P.S.the '46 5 Mil is really nice but thats as nice as they come - looks 64 from here but like I said earlier its really hard to tell. I've seen soooo few true drool examples its amazing - especially with the high mintage
  • Options
    standforstandfor Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Did you send those to TPG yet? or planning to?
    When I don't collect coins...
    I build high end houses
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    Hopefully, in the next 4-6 weeks! image In the meantime, I'll be getting my computer back in the next week and will resume my photographing of the 2, 10, 20, 50 and 100 MILS. I've also upgraded a few of the existing 1 MIL pieces. Thanks for asking!

Gary
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys have awesome sets. As you can see in the BST I am selling mine as I decided to re-focus. This series is really attainable in average grades, and ultra challenging in such UNC grades. Good luck Gary. Look at Marc's set as inspiration/motivation !
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    That is an impressive collection, Gary.

One question: Why are everything BUT the year of issue Tri-lingual? Or, I should perhaps say: Why ISN'T the year in Hebrew as well? (If that was addressed in the text, I'll see it later as I only had time to look at the pictures right now!)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Good question! Why isn't the date represented in Hebrew as well? An issue with space? Maybe Marc can help with that one. In the meantime, I'll have to look through my copy of Berlin's book to see if he sheds some light on this. Good eye! image

Gary
  • Options
    Great Question Billy,
    Hebrew lettering is used as numeric values only in Hebrew calendars, otherwise the western numbers are used.
    The series was dated in Christian calendar (A.D)
    Even the Arabic lettering been used as well, they actually translates to the Christian date rather then the Islamic calendar.

BTW, same goes for the denomination in this series (only Arabic and Western numbers)
    I build high end houses
  • Options
    nice to see these up again Gary - looking forward to the other pics and TPG results too indeed ~~

yup the date seems to have been a non issue in Hebrew back then - the Mandate years were not Isreali/Jewish per se - now if it was 1948 and you had no Hebrew then I'd worryimage

Howard Berlin's reference is probabably the most comprehensive to date - I'd say it's a must have for anyone interested in the series.
  • Options
    Very interesting...learn something new here every time I come on image

It kind of took me by surprise as all the Israel coins I have have quite a lot of Hebrew on them, some with nothing else, some with other languages as well. All are newer, though, when it was officially called Israel. (I only have three)

Thanks!
  • Options
    Billy, it would be interesting to see pictures of the Israeli coins in your collection with a language other than Hebrew. Other than the Palestine Mandate coinage, I wasn't aware of any image

Gary
  • Options
    Gary, I don’t want to say all Israeli coins have Arabic on them as my memory might fail me, but am pretty sure the main majority do, like any other product in Israel. And many have English as well...

Any progress with the rest of the pictures?

If you ever want to sell your high end mandate, I have some serious overseas buyers am working with…
    I build high end houses
  • Options
    Hi Gary, I got this one from our own LordM here on the boards....the info on the flip he provided revealed it to be a 1983 5 shequalim...

Sorry for the low quality scan!
  • Options
    Sorry for the long delay...

Edited to save space. Pictures moved to top of page 2

Gary
  • Options
    one word - yummy! image

I hope your right on the grades - overall I agree with you - these are just so tough in high grade original MS!

• Options
    Guys, what can you tell me about this medal. I bought it on ebay and had it slabbed a while back.

• Options
    Hey kids, It's Palestine Time again! For your viewing pleasure! image

Palestine 1 Mil (10 coins)

1927 GEM RED

1935 GEM RED

1937 GEM BN w/ red in the devices

1939 GEM RED

1940 GEM R/B

1941 GEM RED

1942 GEM R/B

1943 GEM R/B

1944 GEM RED

1946 GEM R/B

Palestine 2 Mils (5 coins)

1927 GEM RED (95% RED)

1941 GEM R/B

1942 GEM R/B 80% RED

1945 SUPER GEM RED!

1946 GEM R/B 75% RED

Palestine 5 Mils (8 coins)

1927 GEM UNC

1934 GEM UNC

1935 GEM UNC

1939 CH UNC

1941 GEM UNC

1942 GEM RED (98% RED)

1944 GEM RED (98% RED)

1946 CH/GEM UNC

10 Mils (12 coins)

1927 GEM UNC (nicer in hand!)

1933 CH+ UNC

1934 UNC (nothing fancy)

1935 GEM UNC

1937 GEM UNC

1939 CH UNC (great color)

1940 CH+ UNC

1941 CH UNC

1942 CN spotty UNC (too bad as it is otherwise a spectacular coin)

1942 BR CH UNC

1943 GEM UNC

1946 CH+ UNC

20 Mils (8 coins) I still need a 1933, 1935 AND 1941 for upgrade image

1927 GEMMY!

1933 CH AU

1934 UNC ish

1935 current coin is lightly cleaned/polished looking for a CH/GEM UNC

1940 CH UNC

1941 AU (I guess that I'll have to keep admiring Marc's unbelievable specimen!)

1942 GEM UNC with hints of red in the devices

1944 GEM LUSTEROUS UNC!

50 Mils (8 coins) I still need to upgrade the 1931.

1927 CH+ UNC

1931 UNC (small rim bruise at 5:30 ((Obverse only)) )

1933 CH+ UNC

1934 GEM UNC

1935 CH+ UNC

1939 GEM UNC

1940 CH UNC

1942 GEM UNC

100 Mils (8 coins)

1927 Totally ORIGINAL GEM!

1931 UNC

1933 CH UNC

1934 CH UNC

1935 CH/GEM UNC

1939 CH/GEM UNC

1940 CH/GEM UNC

1942 another totally ORIGINAL CH+ UNC

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome. image

Edited to add; 10 Mils and 50 Mils to come!

Gary
  • Options
    Hey Gary these look great - man your pictures are like wild - you really need to get these graded one of these days to get a good read on actual grades. Your set is one of the nicest I've seen around in past decade. image

That '45 2 Mil is a fab example - its gotta be from an 8 pc hoard recently found right? or something like that.

Marc
  • Options
    Between the two of you we may have a best in breed collection. Congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks Marc and Zohar. I actually own 5 - '45 2 Mils in RED (although, the last will assuredly qualify as R/B). Marc, your set is still, hands down, the nicest image I still need a better 1933 20 Mils, a better 1935 20 Mils, a better 1941 20 Mils, a better 1944 20 Mils AND a better 1931 50 Mils. I have a LONG way to go before I catch up to you! That said, you've given me something to aspire to!

Gary
  • Options
    Awesomw set Gary, I wonder how do you store it. Mylars ? flips ?
    I build high end houses
  • Options
    2 1/2 X 2 1/2 Archival Flips, the same type that PCGS provides to it's dealers. Here now, comes the same broken record; 'Shortly though, I'll be getting them ready for submission to our hosts (image already man!), as my dealer membership was recently reactivated. image

Gary
  • Options
    All 1,2,5,10 and 100 Mils are now up. The 20 Mils are lacking the 1935 and 1944BN issues. I now need to photograph the 50 Mils (minus the 1931). That makes 49 out of the total 59 pieces needed to complete the set. Whew!!!!

Thanks again for looking and commenting on my 20+ year journey! image

Gary
  • Options
    Found this in my drawer...

imageimage
    I build high end houses
  • Options
    Love the coins and always admire the collector who actually sticks to his
    collecting goals until the set's completed.

Me? Too often I get, uh, "distracted" image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    hey standfor - what grade is that one? - looks at least 58 from here .. or 61, 62, 63.....image
  • Options
    Thats right Marc, BN58
    I build high end houses