Comments

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice Nickey Nantle to me.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    MJB14MJB14 Posts: 39 ✭✭
    I'm no expert, but IMO that's a fake.
    Collecting anything Dan Fouts, Jim Rice, Chris Webber, Ron Francis & Coming Soon: Aaron Hernandez.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure - but if fake - it's one of the better ones around.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mike. I would lean towards it being real, but it could always be a Marino sig.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with Mike. I would lean towards it being real, but it could always be a Marino sig. >>

Looks nothing like dan marino's signature image
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    It is 100% a forgery.

• Options

<< <i>I agree with Mike. I would lean towards it being real, but it could always be a Marino sig. >>

That's what I was thinkin too Allen.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The auto is no good.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

It's not right.

////////////////////

PSA/DNA

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>It's not right.

////////////////////

PSA/DNA

image >>

This is why I don't dabble in Autos - those look pretty damn close to me, especially given the different writing surfaces.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    BKing, if you know what to look for in examining autos, it gets easier and easier. There are multiple red flags in this piece that are never present in a legit mantle.

While it's true an autograph is never the same twice, it also won't do something drastic and completely uncharacteristic one time.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

"...This is why I don't dabble in Autos - those look pretty damn close to me, especially given the different writing surfaces...."

////////////////////////////

If you blow them up, you will see that there are lots of differences.

Those differences are emblematic of the Marino sigs and other "high
    quality" forgeries.

Remember, the job of the forger is to have his work "look pretty close."
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's not right.

////////////////////

PSA/DNA

image >>

This is why I don't dabble in Autos - those look pretty damn close to me, especially given the different writing surfaces. >>

Signed by the Mick himself.

Some of Marino's stuff is really good - just can't tell which.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

"If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I just finished reading Operation Bullpen today. If you're at all interested in autographs, you really should read the book. It tells the story of Greg Marino's fake autograph racket. Wow. I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable buying an autograph again. It's just amazing how much stuff they were putting out every week...
  • Options

<< <i>I just finished reading Operation Bullpen today. If you're at all interested in autographs, you really should read the book. It tells the story of Greg Marino's fake autograph racket. Wow. I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable buying an autograph again. It's just amazing how much stuff they were putting out every week... >>

His forgeries were decent at best, and are very easy to recognize when compared to authentic exemplars.

Best thing to do is your homework & ask questions, and you will be fine when purchasing autographs.
  • Options