Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2010 Topps Melvin Mora #13 Error

Comments

• Options
    Ouch, so this could be a Topps marketing variation, I'll stop by Wal-Mart and buy all the cereal boxes and Blaster Boxes they have. Great work by Topps if it is!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought 2 jumbo packs at Target and got a corrected version. >>

ditto the 36 card jumbo not the 50 card (hobby?)
  • Options
    I purchased 2 blaster boxes from Wal-Mart and neither version came out of them. I am not buying anymore of this stuff.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    Jackson,

I know what you mean.
    It seems that roughly half of the cards coming out of the blasters are inserts.
    Out of the 6 blasters that I bought last night, I pulled one Mora.
    Fortunately it was the error.

Tim
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased 2 blaster boxes from Wal-Mart and neither version came out of them. I am not buying anymore of this stuff. >>

agreed 2 boxes and about another 2 boxes of randoms..

no errors here.....

got a mini puljos and chipper if anyone wants to trade and a tony gwynn jersey card
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    the only error i have is the common #68 brandon inge, listed as pitcher on front and 3rd base on back,, shows him throwing on the front to,,bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, the Inge has not been corrected.
    However, it wouldn't surprise me to see a corrected version in the factory set when it's released.

• Options
    Someone on another board mentioned a variation on the Zach Greinke card. Any idea what that might be?

• Options
    The only thing I know about the Greinke is there is a Cy Young card with the same number.
  • Options

<< <i>The only thing I know about the Greinke is there is a Cy Young card with the same number. >>

I thought the CY YOUNG card was a different number than his base card?

• Options
    According to Beckett OPG, they are both #50.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Then what's #155?
  • Options
    #155 is also Zack Greinke, but it's his (AL CY Young Award Winner) card.
    He has two base cards in series one.

Tim
  • Options

<< <i>#155 is also Zack Greinke, but it's his (AL CY Young Award Winner) card.
    He has two base cards in series one.

Tim >>

I'm confused. So we all agree that #50 is his base card? And #155 is his CY Young Award Winner card?

But a variation exists where #50 shows CY Young Award Winner on front?

Or is this classic Beckett variation misinformation?

• Options
    I've pulled both variations out of Wal-Mart blaster boxes.

• Options
    #50 is Zack Greinke, but is also available as a SP of Cy Young himself.
    #155 is Zack Greinke as well, but it is stamped 'AL Cy Young Award Winner' which honors him winning the award last season.
    Each award winner from 2009 (Pujols, Mauer, Greinke, Lincecum) has a separate base card which honors his individual award.

Tim

• Options
    Ah. That makes sense. A Cy Young intentional variation.

• Options
    2 more Mora errors (Not mine) were found in retail.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    89 Packs , 4 cereal boxes and no Mora, many Adam Jones though.
  • Options
    Read this post and went through my stacks of commons. 5 moras and one was the error. About 80% -90% of mine come from wal-mart & target. I only bought 1 blaster and 2 cereal. The rest were jumbo and wax.

As far as the "b" verisons of the basic set, those are sweet (especially since I don't have any ). It looks like there are about 20 retired players who replace a curent player in the set i.e. joe morgan #165 for brandon phillips #165 (both reds second baseman), wille stargell for andrew McCuthen, walter johnson for roy halliday etc.

Then you throw in the yankee's "pie in the face" sp's and and the million card giveaway and you can understand why these things are popular.
  • Options
    So is the consensus that these are only in blasters and cereals from Wal-Mart and Target and nothing else, i.e. packs, racks, anything hobby?
  • Options
    as if it wasnt hard enough to keep up with the variations topps made there own with these cards,, jeepers,, bj
    BLANK BACKS
  • Options

<< <i>as if it wasnt hard enough to keep up with the variations topps made there own with these cards,, jeepers,, bj
    BLANK BACKS >>

Yep. Those are sold directly from Topps every year. Printing cash...
    imageimageimage
  • Options

I live in Baltimore and I bought 2 retail boxes from my local Target, they were the last 2 on the shelf. I got one #13 Mora and it was the error. I am going to try again this weekend and see if I can pick up a few more boxes from Wal-Mart and/or Target.
  • Options
    I've bought over 8 blasters,4 cereals,and 6 hobby jumbo(packs) and not one Melvin Mora........I'm in it for the million cards now!
  • Options
    anyone keeping track on the est. number of mora errors?
  • Options
    There are now 4 different Mora errors on ebay.
    Overall, I would guess that at least a few hundred of them made it into packs before the correction took place.
    Surprisingly this card has received very little hobby press so far.

Tim
  • Options

<< <i>
    Surprisingly this card has received very little hobby press so far.

Tim >>

Proportionate to the player(s) depicted.

• Options
    any thoughts on how the numbers on the mora error would compare to the sp's in the set (the "b" variations ie. water johnson, ty cobb, joe morgan, fisk etc.)?
  • Options
    Well, the Mora Error has been corrected and it's only been found in retail packs(from what I've read), so you're looking at Hobby packs having 0, and what's left of the early retail releases is all that's left. I've busted 150 packs of retail from Wal-Mart and Target and found 0 Mora Errors. My point is, the SP's will keep coming where the Error will not....
  • Options

<< <i>Well, the Mora Error has been corrected and it's only been found in retail packs(from what I've read), so you're looking at Hobby packs having 0, and what's left of the early retail releases is all that's left. I've busted 150 packs of retail from Wal-Mart and Target and found 0 Mora Errors. My point is, the SP's will keep coming where the Error will not.... >>

I bought 6 total blasters from Target and Wal-Mart and got no Mora. Nothing of any real value, so $120 gone to waste.
  • Options
    I've purchased 1 jumbo hobby box, 12 blaster boxes, and 26 cereal boxes, with no Mora Error. I'd say it's pretty tough to find.
  • Options
    29 copies purchased. 3 Wal-Mart blasters and not a single error.

• Options
    The Mora error is reminiscent of the uncut '06 Topps Alex Gordon.
    Those were found in early wal-mart packs and then dried up quickly.
    The main difference is that the Gordon had a ton of hobby press right from the start due to its controversial origin.
    Very few folks seem to know or care about the Mora so far.

Tim

• Options
    I just wanted to remind everyone that the original Mora ebay auction ends tonight just after 9PM eastern time.
    It will be interesting to see what this card sells for. Good luck to the seller.

Tim
  • Options
    On my watch list, good luck!! image
  • Options

<< <i>The Mora error is reminiscent of the uncut '06 Topps Alex Gordon.
    Those were found in early wal-mart packs and then dried up quickly.
    The main difference is that the Gordon had a ton of hobby press right from the start due to its controversial origin.
    Very few folks seem to know or care about the Mora so far.

Tim >>

Wasn't around for the '06 Gordon (not collecting then) but I agree about the "few folks seem to know or care" part.

Went to a show yesterday, about 25 dealers. Only two knew about the mora error. One guy said he bought a bunch of target and had like 4-5 errors (of course he didn't bring them with him) and no one seemed to care when I showed them mine. Reaction from dealers went from "what's the error" to "well no one's asked for one so they can't be that hot."

Someone alert Beckett - then the card'll be worth a hundred bucks!! Until then it might just be pie faces and code cards.
  • Options
    There are 43 watchers of the auction and almost 500 page views. I did notice someone threw one up on Ebay on a 1 day auction and it sold for $25...
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    a few more have popped up on ebay , however literally TONS of this product is being busted
  • Options
    for the record I walked into walmart this week and bought a couple of rack pack from a store which had just re-stocked. The only mora I found was the error. So at least one option is the wal-mart rack packs. And either this store had some hiding in the back or the new stuff was still the error.

And that first auction might have been the high point (at least until the pricing comes out in the Beckett paper version) at $44, recent prices have been in the $20 range.
  • Options
    Hey lurker/poster owner of BaseballCardPedia.Com ,

From your site can you remove -

13b Melvin Mora ERR (T. Wigginton on Back)

111 Ty Wigginton ERR (M. Mora on Back)

as it was a photoshop joke. Your having collectors chase cards that dont exist.....
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    the cy young card is part of what their calling " the legend variations" i found a #250 lou gehrig sp tonight sorting,, i guess they have a whole list here they are:,,, bj

Legends Variations
    1 Hank Greenberg

20 Warren Spahn

50 Cy Young

56 Whitey Ford

80 Christy Matthewson

85 Jackie Robinson

90 Rogers Hornsby

94 Carlton Fisk

95 Rickey Henderson

100 Stan Musial

110 Willie Stargell

116 Robin Yount

125 George Sisler

130 Reggie Jackson

165 Joe Morgan

175 Roger Maris

200 Walter Johnson

250 Lou Gehrig

294 Babe Ruth

300 Ryne Sandberg

• Options

<< <i>Hey lurker/poster owner of BaseballCardPedia.Com ,

as it was a photoshop joke. Your having collectors chase cards that dont exist..... >>

oops.. lol image
  • Options

as it was a photoshop joke. Your having collectors chase cards that dont exist..... >>

PM me if you are interested in the 17 "corrected" Wiggington's I purchased off of ebay as a result of these shenanigans.

• Options

<< <i>What the eff?????

imageimage

I just found these!!!!

(in my photoshop) image

Sorry, I'm really not trying to call BS on cincykid75's card at all, I just want to see more examples! I hope it's a true error. >>

Must not have read the entire post... and the posts following it. Sorry!
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I just got me one of them there variations in a rack pack last night!
    IWTDMBII
  • Options

<< <i>

PM me if you are interested in the 17 "corrected" Wiggington's I purchased off of ebay as a result of these shenanigans. >>

A few contributors of BaseballCardPedia.com saw your photoshopped card added it to the 2010 Topps article. After a day of "is it real or not" we finally straightened it out. Thanks. If anyone here wants to help us out (we could use any and all help), feel free to create an account and start contributing. Our goal is to have a completely online, accurate baseball card encyclopedia.
  • Options
    Hey, I really do love your website by the way! I found it on accident, and now I use it all the time!

EDIT: By the way, sorry for throwing you a curve-ball with the photoshop.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulled a Mora/Jones error on a Jumbo pack from Wal-Mart today. First Mora of any kind I have out of about 700 cards so far. Too bad they are only going for bout $5 now!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭