Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1966 PSA 9 Topps #544 Cardinals Rookies (Joe Hoerner) on EBAY

Last month I sent in this 1966 Topps #544 Cardinals Rookies card and it received a 9 MINT grade. I really didn't realize that it was a low pop, highly valued card at the time. Then I had several Set Registry message board members PM me that it is high on 1966 Set Registry members' want list and it would be a four digit card if sold. I even had an offer for a little below what I set the reserve at. So I am putting it up for auction with a reserve of $800 and a Buy-It-Now of $1200 (Ebay item #110494910269). Should be interesting to see what it goes for if it does meet the reserve. It really is a beautiful card so if it doesn't sell I am just as happy to keep it in my collection. Any thoughts as to what will be the outcome of this auction?

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    You ought to do well with that card. Spence doesn't have it , so if you do a little teasing , it may go very well. An 8 went for a krap load , not long ago.

I just started the 66 set not long ago and have always noticed your set because of the GPA. Its a real nice set that you have. I hope to pass your set one year.

Good luck with the auction.---- sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Someone will hit the buy-it-now. Nice card!
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone will hit the buy-it-now. >>

You were absolutely right!

Nice sale!
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Yes he did! Woke up this morning to find out the card went rather quickly with the BIN. Got several inquiries and offers a very short time after the listing went out. The buyer will like this one as it is a very beautiful example of a rare card in high grade. Thanks to members of the message board who gave me advice last month, their predictions were right on.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    no matter how you judge it, that is one the top 10 toughies from that underappreciated set. some may have it in the top three and they could be right.

what are else are you hiding in 1966's. this is from someone who sees the finish line, but needs another $25,000 to get thereimage
  • Options
    I think it would have gone for now than $1500 if you had let it go but I know you can't complain w/ $1200.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I think it would have gone for now than $1500 if you had let it go but I know you can't complain w/ $1200. >>

I was tempted to post this, but seller's remorse should be a personal demon, not a public thing. image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Yep, as soon as your BIN is grabbed quickly you've got to ask yourself..."why didn't I make that BIN higher?" But I am more than pleased that it went for the $1200 and my seller's remorse will fade quickly. Especially since I paid $4.00 for that card back in the mid to late 1990's. I remember when and where I bought this run of super nice 1966 high numbers, about 25 of them for less than $100 and this 1966 Cardinals Rookies was among them. It was a small card shop in Traverse City, Michigan that no longer exists. The owner was a great guy with terrific knowledge of vintage cards. His inventory was in the hundreds of thousands from the 1940's through the 1970's. It was cardboard heaven when my friend Ric would bring out monster boxes by the year and all the cards were ex-mint to mint. It was like... "you want to look through the 1966's? Here's a couple 3200 count monster boxes, just please keep the cards in order". The more I bought the better the deal, 40%-50% off Beckett prices. I bought NM-MINT cards from him for many years before he unloaded everything to a big dealer from down south about 7-8 years ago.
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, as soon as your BIN is grabbed quickly you've got to ask yourself..."why didn't I make that BIN higher?" But I am more than pleased that it went for the $1200 and my seller's remorse will fade quickly. Especially since I paid $4.00 for that card back in the mid to late 1990's. I remember when and where I bought this run of super nice 1966 high numbers, about 25 of them for less than $100 and this 1966 Cardinals Rookies was among them. It was a small card shop in Traverse City, Michigan that no longer exists. The owner was a great guy with terrific knowledge of vintage cards. His inventory was in the hundreds of thousands from the 1940's through the 1970's. It was cardboard heaven when my friend Ric would bring out monster boxes by the year and all the cards were ex-mint to mint. It was like... "you want to look through the 1966's? Here's a couple 3200 count monster boxes, just please keep the cards in order". The more I bought the better the deal, 40%-50% off Beckett prices. I bought NM-MINT cards from him for many years before he unloaded everything to a big dealer from down south about 7-8 years ago. >>

I love stories like that, and you can't beat a $1196 ROI either.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Especially since I paid $4.00 for that card back in the mid to late 1990's

<< <i>I love stories like that, and you can't beat a $1196 ROI either. >>

Hey, what do you think...that he didn't have to pay to get the card graded? $4.00 for the card, $6.00 for grading fees, that's only a $1190 ROI. Get your figures straight Bob!
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering what the outcome was with this card. Congratulations.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey, what do you think...that he didn't have to pay to get the card graded? $4.00 for the card, $6.00 for grading fees, that's only a $1190 ROI. Get your figures straight Bob! >>

No ... YOU get your figures straight! How about shipping to and from PSA? His profit is probably closer to ONLY $1,185.00! LMAO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    You guys are really deflating my entrepreneural spirit. You forgot to add in ebay fees, paypal fees, plus I didn't charge enough for shipping with insurance. I hope there will be some kind of profit image
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are really deflating my entrepreneural spirit. You forgot to add in ebay fees, paypal fees, plus I didn't charge enough for shipping with insurance. I hope there will be some kind of profit >>

Yeah, Ebay & Paypal fees. Sorry about your loss.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You guys are really deflating my entrepreneural spirit. You forgot to add in ebay fees, paypal fees, plus I didn't charge enough for shipping with insurance. I hope there will be some kind of profit >>

Yeah, Ebay & Paypal fees. Sorry about your loss. >>

Not to mention the Paypal chargeback scammers. I think he's better off GIVING the card to one of us rather than running that risk.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< <i>Not to mention the Paypal chargeback scammers. I think he's better off GIVING the card to one of us rather than running that risk. >>

Good point, send it my way and I'll assume all of the risks.
    ~WalterSobchak