Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Blue Moon Coins... anybody dealt with them? Advice? Will anybody even see this thread beneath all th

Recently I acquired a PCGS MS64 1907 Barber half from a reputable member of this forum, and was pleased enough with the $675 price, though the coin had some less-than-attractive blackish toning on about 15% of the obverse. The rest of the coin was a nice lustrous white to off-white, including all of the reverse. I decided that rather than entering it into my set right away, I would try to use it as a stepping stone to a coin with better eye appeal. I mean, having gotten an $1100 trend-price coin for $675, how could I go wrong, right?

I saw this 1912 MS64 for sale by bluemooncoins on eBay and emailed them, offering my coin plus some money. (Their coin looks nice to me despite the grainy picture). They replied, saying we could work something out. I called the toll-free number and spoke with Jim Patullo there, who seemed nice enough over the phone. Without seeing my coin, he said my coin plus $150, $200 at most, would be a ballpark figure, and I am under the impression that I could have closed the deal then and there if I had had the money in my account. I needed about a week to get the additional money, though, so I told him I would go ahead and send my coin, let them examine it, and they could let me know when they received it.

Today I called him and found that my coin had arrived. He said, quoting his boss, that he could not do the deal as "the coin had been cleaned previously" (maybe true, maybe not, never mind that it is in a PCGS holder). He said they wanted $275 in addition to my coin. I said in so many words that that was absurd, and privately wondered what happened to the "$200 at most" price that was mentioned last week. I said an additional $200 was the highest I would go. He consulted somebody and then declined. I mentioned that I might trade on a different Barber half or perhaps some gold, but after thinking about it, I can't help but wonder if these guys are pulling my chain. I am beginning to wonder if I haven't wasted $10 shipping my coin to the other side of the country to have these guys waste my time.

On the other hand, if I took them up on the $275, which I probably shouldn't do, I would be getting an $1100 coin for $950 (the $675 I have in the toned coin plus the $275 they are possibly trying to hijack me for)- not quite as good a deal as I originally got from Larry, but still well below trend price.

What do you think of these guys? Everyone I have spoken to on the 'phone has been very pleasant, but I am starting to get suspicious. Maybe it's just me. I see quite a few negs in their feedback, but the ratio is still fairly small in proportion to the positives- 35 out of about 9300. Anybody have any suggestions? My inclination is to tell 'em to quit jerkin' me around and either accept the $200 or send my coin back, but I am still weighing the options. We are talking about two identically-graded coins, here: mine and theirs. Both MS64. I am willing to pay some extra money for added eye appeal, but $275 is a bit steep, especially in light of their assurances that the price wouldn't be more than $200... imageimageimage

I dunno... would you go for the $275? Or would you tell 'em to stuff it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    When they quoted you the $200 max over the phone, that's a sight-unseen offer IMHO.

At this point, you might be money ahead by asking them to ship your coin back, rather
    than trying to salvage the deal.

• Options
    Keep your coin, sell it out right, then locate another one. Just my opinion.......I dont like the way they do business anyway.......
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    I tried to work with them once on a coin they ran three times on Ebay, it failed each time to get a bid.

To make a long story short, I felt like I was at a used car lot.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BEWARE !!!
      This is from a Guy that Lives in the NorthWest. Enough Said.
        Hey Lord: Forgot to Answer the 2nd part of your question. It was Damn Hard to find your Post.imageMaybe Today Collectors Universe will let the Forumn get back to Normal so "EVERYONE" May Enjoy It.image
      1. Options
        HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Lordmarcovan -- I am perplexed by the coin you want to buy. Grainy photo or not, that is the coin that looks like it had a prior cleaning. (or a poorly rinsed dip, a long ways back). I think you should get your coin back and look elsewhere, quickly!
        Higashiyama
      2. Options
        HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
        PS -- please compare the MS64's on David Lawrence's site, e.g. - he has a 1911 and a 1912-D.
        Higashiyama
      3. Options
        CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Lord,

I'll second Higashiyama's recommendation re: David Lawrence. He has a 1907 for $1000 and a 1909 for $985.

Another option is to find a nice one in an auction. Common dates can be had for about $875-950+juice.

I haven't done business with Blue Moon, but I received an unsolicited e-mail from them a few weeks ago, offering a coin that was a grade higher than one I have in one of my registry sets. Their scans always leave a lot to be desired, and I told them "no thanks". It struck me as an odd way of drumming up business.

Jim
        Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
      4. Options
        Lord,

They are trying to rip you off. For one, when they say the coin has been cleaned, that is impossible if it is encapsulated in a PCGS. The experts there can easily tell if it was cleaned. They are just using that excuse to get more money. Personally, that is not a person I would do business with.

Sincerely,

Chris
        I am waiting to restart my mint State Quarters Registry Set.
      5. Options
        I know you like those bright, white coins but I'd pass on this one. I pass based on the above input alone. I'd also pass because I'd rather have some toning than a bright, white 100 year old coin.

Good luck!
      6. Options
        DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
        Lordmarcovan,

I have only one tidbit to add, if the deal already makes you queasy your feelings about it won't improve after purchasing the other coin. Cut bait.
        Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
        and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
      7. Options
        shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
        They are also known as Country Coins. I've noticed that they sell some really low end stuff, and almost everything I've bid on of theirs failed to meet the reserve. When I've asked what they needed for the coins, they never gave me a straight answer (they told me to call one of their sales representatives to see what we could work out). What's so hard about giving a quote? Now when I see anything offered under any of their names (Country Coins, Blue Moon Coins, Bluepoint Collectibles), I don't even wait for the huge photos of Kenny or the sales reps to load. Their auctions do have a certain amount of entertainment value, but I wouldn't buy anything from them.
        Obscurum per obscurius
      8. Options
        FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
        Hey, he's using a different picture of himself. At least this one isn't so close up! And now he's the Vice-President, not just a "Numismatist".
        Matt
      9. Options
        braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Not to purposely take an apposing view, but if you're unhappy with the coin you own then you will always be. If you like their coin try to strike a deal. Maybe they'll meet you half way.
        $900.00 or so for a nice MS64 Barber is still in the ballpark of being a fair deal. I do know Blue Moon's scans are strong and this Barber probably looks better in person (probably more natural white than the grainy look).
        Good luck with this deal!

peacockcoins

10. Options
        MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
        Lord:

It seems to me that they are using one of the oldest sales tricks in the book.

I would pass on the deal. Even if you got the coin, you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much given the hassle you have already been through.

Walk away and enjoy the search for a "better" deal.

MJ

I'm here to learn a little something...
        Mark's Mattes
        Mark's Cameo SMS Set
        Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
      11. Options
        ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554

<< <i>For one, when they say the coin has been cleaned, that is impossible if it is encapsulated in a PCGS. The experts there can easily tell if it was cleaned. >>

Boey, this statement couldn't be further from the truth. There are more coins graded by PCGS and NGC which have been cleaned than there are original. By a large margin. It is dangerous for you to assume that because PCGS slabbed a coin that everything is smooth sailing.
      12. Options
        I have done business with Blue Moon only once. I do not like their site. But, the transaction was fine. Their scan was very hard to read and grainy. The coin was average with more marks than on the scan. Most of Blue Moon's coins have been AGC, which I will not buy.

David Lawrence is assuredly an excellent dealer. I have bought many $1000's of coins from them and have never had a problem and their service is excellent. I will recommend them unconditionaly.
        I have never seen a Peace Dollar that I did not like!!
      13. Options
        Hey, I haven't dealt with bluemoon either. Nor will I. That guy creeps me out(that's tough)
        Look man, You have a coin that makes the grade. You got a 'deal' on it. I understand wanting to have a better example(eye appeal). If the deal feels funny to you at this point, drop it. You will find another. Maybe you will need to pay a little more(or not) but just be comfortable with what your doing. You posted a thread about this deal. Shows you have doubts and concerns...enough said. Pay the return postage on your coin, and look elsewhere. With requesting your coin to be returned, they might even come down to your level. I would still explain why I didn't want to follow through, and see if you hit the 100 buck range(then consider it) image

I think you should get your coin back tho.

dan
        image It's Her's
      14. Options
        lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Thanks, all. I wanted to go into my phone negotiations armed with a little info (or moral support, at least). If they will honor the $200 deal, I will go for it. Otherwise I am gonna give 'em a piece of my mind and tell 'em to ship my coin back.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
      15. Options
        Well, I just talked to them on the phone and I think I might have overreacted a little- Jim Patullo was very professional and friendly, and he understood my predicament. I didn't get where I want to be in the negotiations so I am having them return my coin, but I can leave the deal without any hard feelings about bluemooncoins, as he explained everything from their end. As long as they get mine back to me quick enough I will not bash them.

Guess I will start the swapping game anew when my my coin returns. Larry even PM'ed me and offered to buy it back, but I don't know if that will be necessary. It has some unsightly obverse toning, but it isn't that hideous. I feel it was fair at the price.

16. Options
        cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
        I haven't dealt with them either. I was going to say as most others, to get your coin back. Now I would think you can get a pretty good idea of how professional they are depending how well they package your coin and send it back to you. Hopefully a happy ending to this story is around the corner for you.

Kenny image
      17. Options
        Got my coin back really fast, via Registered Mail (though I had only sent it to them First Class Insured on the outward trip). I reckon they did everything fair enough in the end. During the middle of the negotiations, there were some miscommunications. They could have/should have been a bit clearer with me up front, but other than that, I don't hold a grudge against 'em.

18. Options
        Deal with Kenny. Everything "goes through" him anyway.
      19. Options
        Blue Moon ; - slightly better then Wonderboy . He keeps advertising a `49 Franklin on ebay(maybe 1/2 dozen times now, sez it`s stunning "you wont find better" ....it`s a pityfull dog !- they can both SUCK MY RHIODS !
      20. Options
        I have no idea what a RHIODS is, and I suspect I don't really wanna know.

Welcome back CC2K. Must be Troll Week, huh? image