Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any 2010 Topps Variations to look for?

I was wondering if anyone knows of any 2010 topps variations. A card store owner in my area said that he received an email from Topps that said to watch out for "The pie in the face" variations. I have no idea what that was about. He did show me the email and I could not make sense of what they meant.
Thanks,
Bob
ebay seller name milbroco
email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    The pie-face variations affect Yankees cards only, I think to commemorate players that had walk-off hits. I could be wrong about that part. The other variations are similar to last year - retired players inserted in place of current players from their corresponding team.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Not My Auction

There's also a Curtis Granderson in a Yankees uniform, and the HOFers like they did last year.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    God I hate this variation crap that companies do. If you're going to do variations, then make them available at a very high rate (E.G. just as good an odds of getting the variation as the original), or include both the original AND the variation in the factory sets. As someone who tries to complete the base sets each and every year from Topps, the inclusions of fifty different versions of cards does nothing but cost me money. (As I don't put together sets via the pack-ripping method, so Topps doesn't get any extra money out of me by including these stupid variations).

Guess I'm just cranky that I now will need to fork out more money just to keep my sets up to date. Arrrgggghhhhh.................
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Here is a list I have put together.It is complete to my knowledge.
    #1 Hank Greenberg
    #20 Warren Spahn
    #50 Cy Young
    #56 Whitey Ford
    #65 Nick Swisher *Pie*
    #80 Christy Mathewson
    #85 Jackie Robinson
    #88 Jerry Hairston *Pie*
    #90 Rogers Hornsby
    #94 Carlton Fisk
    #95 Rickey Henderson
    #100 Stan Musial
    #110 Willie Stargell
    #116 Robin Yount
    #120 Jorge Posada *Pie*
    #125 George Sisler
    #130 Reggie Jackson
    #165 Joe Morgan
    #175 Roger Maris
    #185 Hideki Matsui *Pie*
    #200 Walter Johnson
    #222 Curtis Granderson *Yankees*
    #250a Lou Gehrig
    #250B Mark Teixeira *Pie*
    #294 Babe Ruth
    #300 Ryne Sandberg
    #370a Robinson Cano *Pie*
    #370b Robinson Cano *Pie*
    #400a Alex Rodriguez *Pie*
    #400b Alex Rodriguez *Pie*
    #422 Francisco Cervelli *Pie*
    #475 Johnny Damon *Pie*
    #579 Juan Miranda *Pie*
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    How many "pie in the face" Yankee cards are there? I don't see it listed anywhere.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Any idea what the odds are on these cards? I think the pie cards are the most "rare". Out of my jumbo case I pulled 3 of these cards, almost missed the Granderson in the Yankees uniform until I sorted the box and discovered I had 2 #222 cards with different photos. No Pie cards for me, just HOFers. I'm not a big Yankees fan so I won't be chasing these pie variations.
    Collect HOF on card autographs -PSA graded

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

Topps Heritage Blue Autos (2016-2022)
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    They should have made one with the Three Stooges in the background

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They should have made one with the Three Stooges in the background >>

They did.

It's the one picturing the Chicago Cubs outfielders.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>God I hate this variation crap that companies do. If you're going to do variations, then make them available at a very high rate (E.G. just as good an odds of getting the variation as the original), or include both the original AND the variation in the factory sets. As someone who tries to complete the base sets each and every year from Topps, the inclusions of fifty different versions of cards does nothing but cost me money. (As I don't put together sets via the pack-ripping method, so Topps doesn't get any extra money out of me by including these stupid variations).

Guess I'm just cranky that I now will need to fork out more money just to keep my sets up to date. Arrrgggghhhhh................. >>

I couldn't say it any better. As a collector it is becoming impossible to put sets together. As it is now, I have gone from 5-6 sets each year down to 2.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I have a Alex Gordan RC reprint (not the cards your mother threw out version) that is apparently a SP and looks to sell for about $5 on Ebay
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any idea what the odds are on these cards? I think the pie cards are the most "rare". Out of my jumbo case I pulled 3 of these cards, almost missed the Granderson in the Yankees uniform until I sorted the box and discovered I had 2 #222 cards with different photos. No Pie cards for me, just HOFers. I'm not a big Yankees fan so I won't be chasing these pie variations. >>

I think the Pie cards fall about 1/case -- but they seem to be distributed randomly. Some people I know got Pie cards out of the cases they bought from certain dealers, while other dealers cases seemed to be Pie free. So there was probably a short run of Pie cases/blasters and then a normal run without those. As far as SPs, I opened two cases and got 6 SPs (5 Old Players and 1 Granderson).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>God I hate this variation crap that companies do... Arrrgggghhhhh................. >>

I couldn't say it any better. As a collector it is becoming impossible to put sets together. As it is now, I have gone from 5-6 sets each year down to 2. >>

That's exactly why I quit putting sets together -- back in 1992!! Plus I ran out of room in the little place we lived in back then. Now I'm focused on completing my '62T Registry Set...
  • Options

<< <i>I have a Alex Gordan RC reprint (not the cards your mother threw out version) that is apparently a SP and looks to sell for about $5 on Ebay >>

All the cards that "Your Mother Threw Away" were issued with original backs and appear to be approximately one per box. so $5 on the Gordon back seems to be a reasonable price for a one per box card. I got a Mike Piazza from the box I opened.

Rich
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    ah good to know, thanks
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I would wait a few month for the hype to die down and then pick them up cheaper on ebay. A few years ago i bought the 2007 Derek Jeter card w/Bush and Mantle from a dealer for $2.00. 2 days later the story broke and the card became hot. I sold it on ebay for $50.00 and waited a year and picked it back up again for $5.00.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

<< <i>I would wait a few month for the hype to die down and then pick them up cheaper on ebay. A few years ago i bought the 2007 Derek Jeter card w/Bush and Mantle from a dealer for $2.00. 2 days later the story broke and the card became hot. I sold it on ebay for $50.00 and waited a year and picked it back up again for $5.00. >>

I pulled one from a blaster. Held on to it too long and sold it for a few bucks.
  • Options
    one variation i noticed was from the "continuity" set, these cards are exclusive to the single pack buys(not blaster boxes) at target and walmart, if theres another store , i dont know,,, the "redbacks" i got at target and the "blue backs" i got at walmart,,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>one variation i noticed was from the "continuity" set, these cards are exclusive to the single pack buys(not blaster boxes) at target and walmart, if theres another store , i dont know,,, the "redbacks" i got at target and the "blue backs" i got at walmart,,, bj

... and just because collecting the minis isn't hard enough, the red and blue are completely different sets. So if you want a hard set to build, try collecting all 45 blues and all 45 reds!!
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    been looking for this one..

PM me if u wanna sell / trade
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    what's bradley's number?

found it #306
  • Options
    From 2010 Topps Opening Day, Cliff Lee's card seems to be very popular.

It seems doubtful that it would be corrected (no opening day factory sets), maybe I'm missing something.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    thanks for the heads up guys... I just found the Cano with all the other commons sitting in a box... now it's up on ebay!

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    There are two different Cano Pie in the Face cards. I had the other one, sold for around $90. Nice pull!! Good luck with yours!!
  • Options

<< <i>Beckett on Abe card >>

After going through my approximately 2000 base cards, I only found four Milton Bradley cards, and they were all non-Abe. I felt that I should have had more than four MBs for some reason. Oh well...
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    same I had 1000 or so cards but no bradley's.

weird.
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Link >>

That one is mine lol.
  • Options
    This stuff is crazy! and the fact that they're all Cubs too... lol

Abe Lincoln Variation #135 (Left) & Common #135 (Right)
    imageimage

Abe Lincoln Variation #326 (Left) & Common #326 (Right)
    imageimage

Abe Lincoln Variation #123 (Left) & Common #123 (Right)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Here's another one that was sold as an Abe Variation, but not sure if it's actually a variation, or just some dude in a suit. Rogers Hornsby #90B
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    if one was to have one of the Bradley's per say, what would be the best avenue to currently achieve the highest profit margin? Since there is one auction ending in 4 days at 61.00 would it be wise to do a 3 day auction, or 7 day?? Just curious on others thoughts image
  • Options
    I would guess the sooner the better, but that's just me. If "justmichael" sells his card for the BIN price, then it might benefit you to list it for the 7 days. Who knows... lol
  • Options
    Bradleys- I'd do a High Bin/BO or 3 day auction. These have been known on 2 message boards for only a few days. Once the word gets out, many more will surface.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    My thought is that these started being added to retail at the same time as the pie in the face cards (since Topps mentioned them in the press release for the yankees sps). Therefore I'd expect them to come out of the woodwork soon ala now that people go back and find them in the thousands of commons. So I'd sell early.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>if one was to have one of the Bradley's per say, what would be the best avenue to currently achieve the highest profit margin? Since there is one auction ending in 4 days at 61.00 would it be wise to do a 3 day auction, or 7 day?? Just curious on others thoughts image >>

I would go with a 3 day auction and don't look back... this is like found money!
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I get more and more bitter with 2010 Topps image

Out of the ~4800 base cards I have:

0 pies
    8 HOF SP
    1 Granderson
    0 Moras
    0 Abes
  • Options

<< <i>I get more and more bitter with 2010 Topps image

Out of the ~4800 base cards I have:

0 pies
    8 HOF SP
    1 Granderson
    0 Moras
    0 Abes >>

sounds like you busted almost exclusively hobby.

I've got three moras, still sifting through the stacks for abes and one sp (out of retail) no pies or grandersons. About 85% of mine are retail. Probably about 2500 base cards.
  • Options
    cool - something to do all rainy weekend on the couch
  • Options
    After sifting through all of my 2010 Topps (about 2000 cards) and pulling all of my Cubs, I FOUND ONE!!

So far this year's Topps have given me:

2 pies (Cano and Teixeira)
    2 HOF SP (Jackson and Young)
    0 Granderson
    0 Moras
    1 Abe (Colvin)

Not bad at all!! image
  • Options
    pffft

I got an Alex Rodriguez world series bat auto 13/50...guess that is gonna have to make my millenium!

Abe Bradley

Pedroia auto
  • Options
    WTG!!! Mike

Looks like first sale 149.00!

imageimage
  • Options
    WOW! Three of them sold for that much! Hmmmmmmm....
  • Options
    just saw that!

mine will be the first auction to end (spam-a-lot) I did it as a 3 day auction
  • Options
    After going through all my doubles I had nothing. Almost didn't even think to go through the 1 set I put together and I found a Tyler Colvin in it

• Options
    Went throught the entire pile last night = 0 Abes.

Got a sweet deal on a case of Series 2 jumbos on an ebay auction pre-sale. So the "trading card budget" is at zero which means no more series 1 packs. It looks like I'm offically out of the "abe" hunt image

On a side note, I now have series 1 cubs sets put together if there's any interest. lol.