Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In honor of the 30th anniversary of the 1980 USA hockey gold team

I just got these in from Sweden. They are very scarce stickers from the Swedish company Semic. (I guess they were the Swedish Panini of sorts because they'd put hockey stickers out for years.) Every player from that '80 team has a sticker in this set but these are the only ones I have. I missed out in winning a few others a couple of years ago (including Mike Eruzione, his ONLY true hockey card aside from a 1979-80 Olympic team issue I just learned about. ARRRGH!).

As you can see these are far from mint but I don't care.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Im not into Hockey cards or Hockey but I can appreaciate how difficult those must have been to land!

Congrats!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I was at a charity auction deal Friday night. I bought this at the silent auction. It's about 20 x 30, autographed by Jim Craig, and I just thought it was cool. Not a big hockey fan but it was a good cause Friday night and the picture was cool so I went for it.

• Options

Did you mean true Rc? Cause He as some other hockey cards as well. This one above and signature rookies off the top of my head.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you mean true Rc? Cause He as some other hockey cards as well. This one above and signature rookies off the top of my head. >>

Yeah, I meant cards that came out during their playing time. Several of the players never went beyond college or minor pro so the pickings are pretty slim for cards.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

What a party that must have been afterwards,where does this stand as far as all-time upsets?
    I was only 5,so I don't remember,gotta be up there though.

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    how about the 50th anniversary of the 1960 US hockey team who won gold
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a hockey fan but I did watch the games in the olympics.

That's probably - for me - the greatest single moment in olympic watching!

The win against the soviets was pure gold!

Thanx for sharing the cards RH - good stuff!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>What a party that must have been afterwards,where does this stand as far as all-time upsets?
    I was only 5,so I don't remember,gotta be up there though. J.R. >>

JR, unfortunately I was NOT 5 when that happened! (LOL ... I was 22), but I remember it being said that it was one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, upset in sports history. All the hoopla around that game was amazing (Did I really use the word "HOOPLA"?) ... before the game began, I remember people saying it was like a Triple A baseball team facing the past year's World Series Champs. I believe they were bigger underdogs than the '69 NY JETS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Great cards RedHeart...regional issues are cool but foreign regional issues are VERY cool.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options

<< <i>The win against the soviets was pure gold! >>

I think it's worth mentioning that they were a team of kids playing against the greatest of all Soviet players. Mostly members of the premier Soviet team, The Red Army.

At the time, only amatuer players were allowed to compete. But players from communist USSR were not considered pro's, because technically their players never got payed for playing.

It truely was an amazing (against all odds) victory.

Great cards RedHeart54, thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The win against the soviets was pure gold! >>

I think it's worth mentioning that they were a team of kids playing against the greatest of all Soviet players. Mostly members of the premier Soviet team, The Red Army.

At the time, only amatuer players were allowed to compete. But players from communist USSR were not considered pro's, because technically their players never got payed for playing.

It truely was an amazing (against all odds) victory.

Kids... that's right Kids image
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greatest upset of all-time and maybe the greatest moment in American sports history. I was 8 at the time, so I do remember the game and all the hoopla. Incredible stuff. Huge, huge upset, especially when you consider how Team USA had gotten smoked just a couple weeks earlier by the Soviets (something like 10-3 in a game that wasn't that close).

I do always find it funny when people think that was the gold medal game though. The US still had to win another game image

Tabe
  • Options
    I played on that rink a number of times growing up. I was on a traveling hockey team from Mass and every year from the late 70's through early 80's we would play there. Later in life one of my reps had accounts all over the different complexes and I would get to go through a bunch of them. A beautiful area anytime of year.
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Today the 24th of February was the day the USA beat Finland for the gold. Here are the cards of the players who made the NHL. (Sorry, don't have a card handy of Neal Broten.)

• Options
    Very cool
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I would say if they'd played that game 100 times the Soviets would have won 98 of them. That was a tough US team though, in the games preceding this one you could tell they never gave up and got stronger in the 3rd period. They were in unbelievable condition. An unforgettable sports event.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    anyone ever see one of those gold medals for sale i wonder how mcuh they would sell 4
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    USA, USA, USA.................................................I still goosebumps when they show the final seconds.
  • Options

<< <i>anyone ever see one of those gold medals for sale i wonder how mcuh they would sell 4 >>

I don't think one has ever sold and I don't think one ever will. The former players are doing very well in their present careers so wouldn't need the money. Even when those guys get old enough to start dying off I can't imgaine family members wanting to part with their medals. I know, never say never. Still...
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    These Semic cards are very cool. The hockey portion of my collection/checklist is rather small so I thought the entire 1980 team needs to be part of the collection. Does anyone know what year the Semic cards are from? Also does anyone know anything about the 1980 Us Olympic Team "Mini Pics"? I can't find any images of them. Not sure which set I want to target
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Those stickers were from 1981.