Home Sports Talk
Options

Great Olympic Moments of Vancouver 2010--Please Share

DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
In all of the opening Olympic ceremonies that I have seen, the last person to have the torch right before lighting the cauldron, is usually a world recognized figure, yet also relevant to the host nation.

I recall Muhammad Ali lighting it up in Atlanta '96. He is a recognizable figure worldwide, yet significant to American sports as well.

It was a great moment when I saw "The Great One" have that honor in this Olympics. The American commentators were not all that surprised. I guess it might have been a no-brainer to some, but I never gave it much thought, but was pleasantly surprised to see him there.

Our beloved governor, Schwarzenegger, was part of the torch relay too. Interesting to say the least.

edit spelling
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    Canadian Bacon should have lit the torch.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This should be a short thread. image
  • Options
    US Best ever 4 medals on first Day of competition... It was exciting to see the Korean speed skater try to pass his teammate and wipe out both of them putting two American's into medals...

Ohno got his 6th medal and in a great story Celek got a Bronze in his first competition since returning from a skating accident that nearly severed his Femoral Artery!!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>US Best ever 4 medals on first Day of competition... It was exciting to see the Korean speed skater try to pass his teammate and wipe out both of them putting two American's into medals...

>>

Kinda made me say image
  • Options
    yeah because thats a great way to win, when everyone else falls down.

winter olympics = snooze fest
    how about a thread showing off the sexy ladies of the games?
  • Options

<< <i>yeah because thats a great way to win, when everyone else falls down.

>>

and if you watched or cared, you would realize Apollo was in first place, but got bumped to fall into 4th in the race, so it was fitting. Or you'd know that he was wiped out in a race he was medalling in a few years ago.

Anyhow, lots of Olympic haters reading a post about the Olympics... that's like me trying to get involved in a conversation about basketball... I just wouldn't have anything worthwhile to add...
  • Options
    I saw the speed skating competition. It really was awesome. A turn of events that Apollo got the silver when it looked like a Korean sweep shortly before the race finishing.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>yeah because thats a great way to win, when everyone else falls down.

>>

and if you watched or cared, you would realize Apollo was in first place, but got bumped to fall into 4th in the race, so it was fitting. Or you'd know that he was wiped out in a race he was medalling in a few years ago.

Anyhow, lots of Olympic haters reading a post about the Olympics... that's like me trying to get involved in a conversation about basketball... I just wouldn't have anything worthwhile to add... >>

I agree with Reljak here- The background and context made this a cool race to watch. I want to see a "follow up" story next year on the Korean who caused the wreck AND the other Korean who would have won silver, had it not been for his overly-aggresive teammate. Interesting story all around...those two have probably been training together for a decade and now 1 causes the other to lose his medal. This is like Olympics with some "Days of Our Lives" infusion. A little bit gay, but interesting.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Canadian Bacon should have lit the torch. >>

No it should have been Bobby Orr (who carried the flag). Orr was better than the Great One - they dissed him because he played for the Bruins. image
  • Options
    Highlights?

I love the Olympics, summer and winter. I was in Torino in 2006. The experience is great. But, 2010 Vancouver is noted for the following:

1. 1 Dead Luger in a horrific accident. If you've seen the full speed video you know what I mean. Those poles should not have been there.
    2. Faulty Hydraulics at the Opening Ceremonies leaves one Canadian Hero with nothing to do. Gretzky should have stepped aside and let the female skater light his column. He was getting in a truck to light the outdoor flame anyway.
    3. Helicopters flying in slushy snow for the downhill. A great finish to the mens downhill though.
    4. Bad ice on the long track speed skating rink delaying events by over an hour
    5. A $1 Billion debt required to build the Athletes Village and other event sites.

It's early still and there should be some positives to come out of this but so far Vancouver is looking real bad from my perspective. Makes me wonder why any country would put up the money to host the Winter Olympics every four years. Not surprising that only 3 countries are bidding for 2018.

Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    The weather real has been a mess up there hasn't it.... who would've thought that during the Winter Olympics that South Carolina may get more snow than Vancouver!
  • Options
    Ryan Malone scoring on the power play for the USA in today's game vs the Swiss, is the top spot for me right now! Go Bugsy!
  • Options
    Bob Costas was saying a few days ago that Germany had an off year in the women's luge because they did not sweep it like the past two Olympics. They got gold and bronze only!

I like the luge. Its so dependent on precision while being so fast. Fun to watch. My heart still goes out to the family of the Georgian luger (the most tragic event of the Olympics this year).

• Options
    separated at birth? I saw this on a friends facebook page.

• Options
  • Options
    USA beat Canada is ice hockey--what a surprise. Canada will beat Germany to advance in the medal round. If Germany does beat Canada, then that would be a bigger upset. The Germans are no minnows, but this is a off year for them in hockey.

German bobsled getting gold and silver. What a run. Andreas Lange is now a 4 time gold medalist. With the sports remaining, I think Germany, Norway, and Canada are going to catch up to the USA in total medals. Germany and Norway are very strong and Canada is strong this year because they invested heavily in their quest to have the most medals.

Since 1992, its been Germany or Norway winning the most medals. In 1988, you would have to put both Germanys together to beat out the Soviet Union.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I'll tell what you HASNT been a great moment at these Olympics- It was over this weekend when our bronze medalist men's snowboarder Scott Lago was out in a bar taking pictures with his bronze medal and a group of young women. He and his buddy Greg Bretz (the other American snowboarder who dances around like he's a retarded rapper right before he drops in the halfpipe) were holding the medal down around their weist and taking pictures of women bending over to kiss the medal as if they were actually kissing something else.. I wish the USOC would take Lago's medal away from him. What a disgrace to the country to disrespect the Olympics like that.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Wow. Amazing performance by Joannie Rochette tonight.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Wow. Amazing performance by Joannie Rochette tonight.>>>

I agree, under the circumstances, one of the best performances of the entire games.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Goalie Miller for team USA. What a job he did against team Canada. What a game period!

Now will we see a repeat performance USA vs. Canada for gold?

rd
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweden's skiing has been exceptional

The comback by Norway last night in the cross country skiing to win the silver was pretty amazing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joannie Rochette winnning the Bronze Medal just 4 days after her mother died.

Steve
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Joannie Rochette winnning the Bronze Medal just 4 days after her mother died.

Steve >>

... when her mother arrived in Vancouver to see her skate, I'm glad she medal'd, has to be the story of the games.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    The United States is guaranteed 37 medals and Canada will finish with at least 13 gold medals. Both are the best of these games and part of the greatest hauls ever at a Winter Olympics.

The Americans will leave with the most medals by any country at any Winter Games. They also will win the medal count.

Sorry, but the Deutchland "domination" is over.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mens 4-man bobsled is noteworthy. Way to go.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    USA breaks Germany's record for total medals at the winter games. It is the first time a country led the medal count since 1992 not named Germany or Norway.

The IOC places Canada as the Olympic winner because of the gold medals they won, which is a Winter Olympics record. Germany is second, with the USA third.

It is not unusual for the country who leads in total medals, also leads in gold medals-- but it does not always work out that way.

Both Germany and Norway did well in the Olympics and definately keep their powerhouse reputation. Canada and the USA simply were more exceptional for this particular Olympics.

Andre Lange finished off the Olympics with gold and silver in bobsled for Germany. Way to go. In the four man sled competition, Germany 2 had a good run and was leading. Germany 1, with Andre Lange as driver, made a run while Germany 2 watched. Germany 1 did beat Germany 2, but the guys from Germany 2 were cheering the results. I was so happy to see that kind of sportsmanship and team loyalty.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Overall a fantastic Olympics. I don't really go in for medal counts or any of that, but from a spectator standpoint I was thrilled. I'm sorry to see it end.
  • Options
    boopotts,

you have the right attitude!

Apart from the medal tally, I certainly took away a lot of good memories from the Olympics. I turned 36 during the games and was wondering how that ever happened (time is flying by). Then to see an athlete from Germany, my country, with the same name and age as I win the gold in bobsled, it felt a bit better.

I liked seeing Clara Hughes win another medal for Canada--that makes her both a summer and winter Olympian at the tender age of 37. Cheryl Bernard of Canada led her team to silver in curling (I could not believe how great she looked at over 40 years--good for her!).

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i>Mens 4-man bobsled is noteworthy. Way to go. >>

Excellent choice Bosox, but Lindsey Vonn in the downhill takes it. Can anyone understand how great that achivement is? Regardless of what anyone has done.

yea night train. Lindsey rocks
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Many thanks to Rob for sharing his favorite personel album photo's.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    The closing ceremonies...right at the very end.