Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British HAMERED coin Friday, let's see them!

Hi all

We have a MILLED British coin Friday, let's see them! with a few hammered, now I see there are many collectors of Brittish coins we can have another listing in the FORUM

British HAMERED coin Friday, let's see them!

R
J

A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass

Comments

• Options
    Hi members do we have members that collect "British Hammered" ? FRIDAY is coming in 6 days but we can have Friday everyday

j
    www.petitioncrown.com

A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Hi bring out more Hammered -

imageimage

r
    www.petitioncrown.com

• Options
    Ok, I'll add a couple -

• Options
    Hi

now i know u will not go "FilthyBroke". interesting is the James mm cinquefoil?

SwK
    www.petitioncrown.com
  • Options

<< <i>Hi

SwK
    www.petitioncrown.com >>

The seller had it listed as Rose mm, I haven't gotten around to comparing it to the chart in my Spink book yet.

• Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi

SwK
    www.petitioncrown.com >>

The seller had it listed as Rose mm, I haven't gotten around to comparing it to the chart in my Spink book yet. >>

Cinquefoil is too early for the laurel and its fractions. I was wondering if there might be a trace of a spur rowel under the obverse rose because there appears to be a small point at 2 & 6 o'clock with another maybe at 10 o'clock. The rev. is only rose though.
  • Options
    Hi Rob

Waiting to see a hammered coin from yourself image let a coin breath air out of its packet image

r
    j

www.petitioncrown.com
  • Options

<< <i>Cinquefoil is too early for the laurel and its fractions. I was wondering if there might be a trace of a spur rowel under the obverse rose because there appears to be a small point at 2 & 6 o'clock with another maybe at 10 o'clock. The rev. is only rose though. >>

Here's a closeup of the mm area-

• Options
    It is still a maybe on the rose over spur rowel question. The point at 2 o'clock is the best indication for its possible existence.
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Here's a few.

Richard I
    imageimage

John
    imageimage

Henry VII
    imageimage

Henry VIII
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Rob

Waiting to see a hammered coin from yourself image let a coin breath air out of its packet image

r
    j

www.petitioncrown.com >>

Just for you Jeff. The current bane of my life - a 1644 Exeter crown Besly C-9 dies. Ex Alan Barr 49, this is coin no.6 in Besly's 1992 BNJ article labelled private collection 3. I thought it should be easy to find a provenance for this piece as its grade is high enough. Silly me. As I was checking all the examples I could find I thought it prudent to list them as well. 3 days later I now have all the identifiable Exeter crowns in decent collections reconciled to Besly's 30+ die combinations and I still can't find this coin, though I do have a quality list of provenances. Doh. This is relatively early strike as the flaw by the 1 of the date is not particularly well developed.
  • Options
    Hi Rob

that is a hit bellow the belt - i do not have an Exeter Crown image

sure a cool coin, struck on a full round flan and great quality - u have your secret sources, tell and show me more.......

I do know the James I I have is Ex Norweb interesting to the American collectors

imageimage

r
    swk
    www.petitioncrown.com
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    WOW BS, what a stunning group of coins!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez. Aethelred is slipping in his old age.

C'mon, Michael. Post it. You know the one. Your namesake. I wanna see it again.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Next up, a 1645 Oxford civil war half crown. Morrieson dies F-7, this is a crudely struck type of which there appears to be 3 decent examples available, namely: Morrieson 534; Ryan 1250; and this example ex- Mrs. Street, Marsham 563, Montagu 516, Hamilton-Smith (1913) 95, Lockett 2460, Willis 298 and Morris. The first two have a better horse and rider but incomplete legends. As it was good enough for the two best British collections of all time, buying it was a no-brainer.

For the record, Morrieson's article (BNJ 1921-2 p.152) has an incorrect description for this variety as it says 'no pellets by date and OX' when it should say 'and pellets etc'.
  • Options
    Hi Rob

Serious question, do u have a Oxford 1645 Shilling to post ?

R
    J
    www.petitioncrown.com
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Rob

Serious question, do u have a Oxford 1645 Shilling to post ?

R
    J
    www.petitioncrown.com >>

Sadly no..... but I certainly wish I did!
  • Options
    i dream toooo of a 1645 Oxford Shilling

just have to settle with the 1644 Oxford

why the heck Rawlins puts his name on it on the shoulder to spoil an nic coin i do not know - he might at least of hidden it image

it amazes mt that during a war there was time to create special dies.....

we might at least have fun it is 350 years ago, I winder if we were around at this time what we have been doing? breakfast? transport to work ++++

www.petitioncrown.com
  • Options
    Not a Friday, but who cares?

A William I PAXS penny as seen. The reading for the moneyer and mint on this reverse die caused considerable discussion for a long time. In P W P Carlyon-Britton's seminal (but sadly uncompleted) work on the Anglo-Saxon mint towns published in the BNJ before WW1, GODESBRAND ON BA was attributed to Barnstaple. However, this was inconclusive and later arguments have dispelled that theory and reassigned this coin to Bath on the grounds that Barnstaple was too small to accommodate more than one moneyer, and that position was already assigned to SEWORD during the PAXS issue. A GODSBRAND is known to have struck this issue at Malmesbury, and almost certainly the same person GODESBRAND struck at Shaftesbury. It was accordingly reassigned on the basis of these facts.

Up to the 1830's this was one of the rarest of William I's types, but the discovery of about 6500 PAXS pennies in a hoard at Beauworth in Hampshire has resulted in this now being the commonest type encountered. This hoard accounts for probably 95% of all known examples to date. There were 5 examples of GODESBRAND ON BA (all from the same die pair) in the hoard. For further reading on this discovery with a full list of mints and moneyers refer to Ruding, Annals of the Coinage of Great Britain 3rd ed. Vol1 p.151-161 published in 1840.

Ex Durlacher 6, PWP Carlyon-Britton 722 (this coin also illustrated in his BNJ article under Barnstaple) and Lockett 960 - and almost certainly ex Beauworth.
  • Options
    William the Conqueror ? Its a wonderful strike/coin you have there RobP , im working on my ancients but have to stop for a breather after obtaining the Alexander lll.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Geez. Aethelred is slipping in his old age.

C'mon, Michael. Post it. You know the one. Your namesake. I wanna see it again. >>

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com