Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

[SOLD] 1857-A France Napoleon III gold 5-francs w/world-famous pedigree... AT SPOT PRICE!!!

COIN IS NOW SOLD- THANKS

But maybe I'll add another piece off my hat soon.

Yep, you read that correctly! image

The "world-famous" pedigree is me, of course, or more specifically, my trademark "Holey Gold Hat". You'll see it there on the left in my avatar picture, atop my cute little canteloupe-shaped skull.

Yeah, yeah, OK- so maybe I'm givin' myself airs and "world famous" is a bit of a stretch. But I have forum friends here from all around the world, so that counts, right? And folks I've never met come up to me at shows, since the Holey Coin Vest and Holey Gold Hat have been in Numi-News, Coin World, and The Numismatist a time or two. So let's just say "semi-well-known pedigree". image

And yeah, OK, so the coin ain't slabbed.

And it's a little bit, *ahem* ventilated at the top, you might say. But if it weren't, it wouldn't have qualified for inclusion on the Holey Gold Hat.

Per Kitco at the time of this posting, gold closed in NY at $1092.40/oz. Multiplying this by the coin's bullion weight of .0467 oz. and rounding up the penny, I come up with $51.02 as the melt price on this handsome little guy. And all kidding aside, it IS a handsome piece, holey or not.

And hey- it's Valentine's Day, so why not buy it as a necklace piece for your sweetie? (Assuming you have a sweetie, and already bought him/her some flowers or a card or something, since I can't guarantee Valentine's Day delivery now, obviously.)

Yes, I am calculating the bullion weight of a whole coin, though some of you purists will grumble that there's some gold missing as a result of the old contemporary hole in it. Phooey to that, I say. I am justified in asking full-coin melt price for it, since a nice historical holey often trades at a pretty decent premium over melt.

With packaging, postage, and insurance, what say I ask... uhmmm... $54.00 delivered?

Here's the same picture without my text label, should you wish to use it later.

Here is a USA $5 gold piece, also from the 1850s, also from my famous HGH, and also for sale at spot.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    PM sentimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have the whole hat, and all the cunyies twa.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21