Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official Dodgers 2010 Thread

bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
Well I'm excited that baseball is getting closer, but I don't know what to expect from the Dodgers. Hopefully the McCourts divorce gets situated.

They clearly need a #1 starter and need their core players to have better years. I like their pen which is a big plus, but I hope Billingsley gets back into form and that Kershaw continues to improve. It would also be nice if Manny realizes he's playing for a contract for the next season too.

I'd like to say I think the Dodgers will win the NL, but the NL West will be a tough task. I guess I'll have to just settle for a playoffs appearance unless something unexpected happens.

brian

Comments

• Options
    I'm very happy to see Sandy Koufax spending some time with the Dodgers pitchers in Arizona. Sandy also spent some good time with Kershaw the other day.
  • Options
    Sandy was the best! Pitching is the key, Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    You really think the hardest part about winning the NL will be winning the NL West? LOL ok
  • Options

<< <i>You really think the hardest part about winning the NL will be winning the NL West? LOL ok >>

I guess you didn't really read my post Kevin, I mean Walt..

<< <i>I'd like to say I think the Dodgers will win the NL, but the NL West will be a tough task. I guess I'll have to just settle for a playoffs appearance unless something unexpected happens. >>

Last year I felt the Dodgers could win the NL, but this year I'll just have to settle with an NL West title or a Wild Card, because I think the Cardinals and Phillies have definitely stepped up in the last year and I think the Rockies were very good in the second half last year...Plus you never know about them Giants.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Plus you never know about them Giants. >>

I don't have much to get exicted about yet.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Nice to see the Dodgers putting some W's together. Hopefully a few more players can step up at the plate too. It looks like Kershaw is back on track too. Now it would be nice to see Billingsley on track too.

• Options
    I wish the Dodgers could play the Cardinals at Dodgers Stadium all year long. Also happy to see Kershaw with another fine effort. He's getting some W's, going some innings, and getting close to sub 3.00 ERA too. Maybe Manny is slowly starting to come alive too...Seems like he's getting some key hits and has been hitting the ball hard.

Dodgers are now a game in first with the best record in the NL. Not saying they are the best, but its nice to see things turn around from their bad start. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see this years Wild Card team come out of the West, Not bad for such a terrible division. image

Where is my fellow Dodgers fans?

-brian
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am with you Bman! Loved the sweep of the Cardinals. Pujols must not have made the trip to LA because I didn't see many highlights of him. Once Either gets his triple crown stroke back then the Dodgers should start to put some distance in the standings! Still need a pitcher though.
  • Options
    If Kershaw and Billingsley both keep pitching like they are now the Dodgers will win the Division. Billingsley needs to prove he can perform in the last half of the season. Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    Giants win the 2010 Chavez Ravine Series 5 games to 4. Whooo!

China Basin series is currently tied at 3 each, with 3 to go....

• Options
    dodgers suck.
  • Options
    Giants take the 2010 China Basin Series 5 games to 4.. and take the overall Giants/Dodgers season series 10 games to 8 with a 10-2 beat-down! YEAH!

BEAT LA? Done. image

• Options
    Digi-
    As I learned when I moved to the state of Nor Cal in 1986 there is a rivalry between Nor Cal and So Cal in basically EVERYTHING. It is a very one way as people who live in LA do not care about anything north of about Santa Barbara. They don't hate anything in Nor Cal; they just don't care. However, I have enjoyed the years up here and the "rivalry" and I prefer living up here but don't tell anybody that. Thankfully, through all the marginal seasons my Dodgers have had, I can still say to my Giant's fan friends: WIN A WORLD SERIES and then start talking smack. 1954 was the last one for the G-men I believe... they weren't even in SF at the time. Since then the Dodgers won the series in '55, 59, 63, 65, 81 and 88. You play to win the world series and the Giant's just do not have much success at that. At this point I am rooting for the Cub's to win a World Series because then the Giant's would become the loveable losers to go the longest without winning a world series. image I am sure there is some other team that has gone longer without a world series but I don't have time to look it up... and I can't think who it would be. Really I almost could root for the Giant's... but another heart breaking set back will be better.
  • Options
    I don't even know what the words "win a world series" mean. It's like you're just putting random words together.

I do know that the Giants beat the Dodgers more times than they lost to them in 2010. image

<< <i>It is a very one way as people who live in LA do not care about anything north of about Santa Barbara. >>

I know a few guys who lived in LA in the 60s and 70s who would disagree with you. Shoot, Tommy Lasorda loved going on Bay Area sports talk radio and talking smack back in the day. But, in the last 30 years, maybe you're right. It's kinda difficult to see anything except what's in front of you through all that smog.

• Options
    I know a few guys who lived in LA in the 60s and 70s who would disagree with you. Shoot, Tommy Lasorda loved going on Bay Area sports talk radio and talking smack back in the day.

The key there is 60's and [early] 70's and "back in the day." It's a very old rivalry from their New York days. It's not modern is my only point.

Yes, Giant's beat the Dodgers more than vice versa this year but it doesn't mean anything.

The players don't care and the fans in LA don't care. It's only the fans in Nor Cal who care.

It's a hollow victory. It's like hoisting division championship banners up the flag pole. Yes, I know it's what we have at Arco Arena and I am embarrased by it. image
  • Options

<< <i>The players don't care and the fans in LA don't care. It's only the fans in Nor Cal who care. >>

Fans in LA sound like a fairly pittiful bunch then. Sorry to hear it.

• Options

<< <i>bman90278,

Two comments:

1) It's time to change the title to "2011".

2) Nice zip code. >>

U don't like my zip code? lol

I don't know if I will do a thread for 2011 and don't think they will be worthy of a thread. Going into this year I felt the team would not be as good as their 2009 team was, but I felt they could go for the division title with some luck. Plus their starters would have to have close to career years. Didn't happen and the Dodgers didn't really add to the team, as far as star power.
    Then you got the Dodgers Divorce situation going on, which I think will drag out for some time. It really equals to uncertain destiny and a serious lack of being able to spend any real money.

Oh yea, I'm sure Torre is done and we will probably have an unproven Manager like Donnie Mattingly. Bad call I say.

Thank God I don't live my life around my sports teams like many do or this would have been an even longer year.

-b
  • Options

<< <i>dodgers suck. >>

That's all u got to say? I enjoy people like Digicat from other teams that have something worth adding to this thread even if its Anti-Dodgers, but your comment was lack of intelligence. You gotta have something of substance to add here?

-b
  • Options

<< <i><<U don't like my zip code? lol>>

I was being genuine about the zip code. Cool area to live in. >>

Sorry didn't mean to make it sarcastic. ..I was teasing u with the lol

I do love the zip code. I'm just 3 miles from the beach and still within a hour to the majority of my work places. I wish I made the move 10 years earlier.

-b
  • Options
    Just got home from taking my son to school and heard on the radio, "LA Times reporting -Mattingly to replace Torre" more to come.

WFT....Why can't we get an ex-Dodgers player or someone who has managed? I have never liked Mattingly as a coach.

Does letting Mike Scioscia ring a bell to the Dodgers GM?

-b
  • Options
    Maybe the Dodgers could lure Kirk Gibson away from the D-Backs?

I'm kinda surprised that Mattingly's sticking around. He was Torre's guy and followed him from NY.

I chuckled last night when Chin-Lung Hu got on base:

"Hu's on first?"
    "Yes."

Oh, I'd also like to invite the Dodgers to get all pissed off and stuff, and just womp on the Rockies and Padres for the rest of the year. Not just womp, but embarass, humuliate, and just drop liquid ownage all over them napalm style. SF Fans would appreciate it, and we'll refrane from shouting "BEAT LA" for the rest of the 2010 season (unless the delivery of said ownage results in LA re-entering playoff contention, then all bets are off). Thanks! image

• Options

<< <i>
    Oh, I'd also like to invite the Dodgers to get all pissed off and stuff, and just womp on the Rockies and Padres for the rest of the year. Not just womp, but embarass, humuliate, and just drop liquid ownage all over them napalm style. SF Fans would appreciate it, and we'll refrane from shouting "BEAT LA" for the rest of the 2010 season (unless the delivery of said ownage results in LA re-entering playoff contention, then all bets are off). Thanks! image >>

Dodgers announced today they would be only playing prospects the remainder of the season, especially against the Padres. image
  • Options

<< <i>Dodgers announced today they would be only playing prospects the remainder of the season, especially against the Padres. >>

Are they any good? image

Kinda sux when the season boils down to:

Win = help rivals
    Lose = hurt rivals

• Options
    Fans in LA sound like a fairly pittiful bunch then. Sorry to hear it.

I see both sides of it. 25 years of Nor Cal brainwashing jades me against the So Cal relaxed attitude toward sports. It's just different.

By and large the fans only care about their teams when they are winning. However, to a degree that's the case most places.

On the other hand there is just so much going on down there that sports is not as important as it is in say... Sacramento where the King's are a major diversion for us.

Having said all that I think sports fans in California, by and large, do not enjoy their teams quite like they do in the mid-west and back east. Other than a few major games you don't see the huge amount of tailgaters, extremely loyal team following, etc... as you do in many other areas. I thus would contend all of us in California are rather pittiful as sports fans. Possible, So Cal being more pittiful than nor cal.

I realizing I am painting generlizations with an extremely broad brush. However, I have been to a lot of games all around the country and fans are just not passionate out here.

Other than UCLA v. USC people in LA don't get excited about any "rivalry" games.
  • Options
    More important than the manager we need a new owner before the current idiots f' it all up.
  • Options

<< <i>More important than the manager we need a new owner before the current idiots f' it all up. >>

PLus a new owner could mean a new GM and then that could lead to a short tenure for Mattingly.

-
  • Options

<< <i>need a new owner before the current idiots f' it all up. >>

How about Oscar De La Hoya?

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Mattingly has been the manager in waiting when he arrived in Los Angeles with Joe Torre. We all knew this day would likely come.

Sure he has never managed, but he was in training all those years on Torre's side back in NY and LA.

The bigger issue is the ownership mess getting settled. Torre did a wonderful job his first two years with LA, but this last one is a reflection of the turmoil trickling down from the ownership.

Give Mattingly a chance. There is a first for everything.

The Yankees may have a manager vacancy after this season, or did they offer an extension to Girardi? Whatever the case, the Dodgers did announce Mattingly as their manager.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Mattingly has been the manager in waiting when he arrived in Los Angeles with Joe Torre. We all knew this day would likely come.

Sure he has never managed, but he was in training all those years on Torre's side back in NY and LA.

The bigger issue is the ownership mess getting settled. Torre did a wonderful job his first two years with LA, but this last one is a reflection of the turmoil trickling down from the ownership.

Give Mattingly a chance. There is a first for everything.

The Yankees may have a manager vacancy after this season, or did they offer an extension to Girardi? Whatever the case, the Dodgers did announce Mattingly as their manager. >>

I agree about your thoughts on this year..and,Torre said from the beginning he was grooming Mattingly to be the next manager and it was very likely to happen. I'm not surprised by the hire, I just hoped it would have been another year. I'll certainly give Mattingly a chance as everybody does have to start from somewhere.

I think the divorce situation makes Mattingly a good hire for them as I'm sure he will be affordable and will be a tough manager on all of those young Dodgers. Unfortunately I think the divorce will drag on and keep the Dodgers spending on a big time restriction which will likely hinder Mattingly's first season and likely his second season. The odds are against Mattingly, but I'll hope for the best.
  • Options
    4 Dodger starters in the top 23 era in the National league, Next year has potential! ( Kershaw is going to have a great career if he stays healthy check out his stats for this year, Ks, Hits, walks, era, and his age!) OH, Go RAVENS!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Maybe the Dodgers will get Pujols
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I feel like a SF Giant's fan but... "wait 'til next year!"
  • Options
    Well the 2010 regular season are done and the Dodgers really stank it up in the second half.

Hopefully the ownership divorce situation gets done and the team can move forward and add a big bat and a premier pitcher next year.

brian
  • Options
    The divorce could take a while to settle so I am worried 2011 may be a bad year too.
  • Options

<< <i>The divorce could take a while to settle so I am worried 2011 may be a bad year too. >>

Not sure if you know about the following website since you live up north.

Here is the linky,
    Dodger Divorce . com
  • Options
    Thanks for the link Bman. Great website. As a lawyer I find the comments especially amusing.