Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have a new favorite coin

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
Other than my trade dollar set, this one just jumped to the top of the heap [perhaps tied with the 1794 cent and the 1807 quarter]

Comments

• Options
    GOOD GOODNESS TDN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric.
  • Options
    TDN, that is stunning. I wanna say I am speechless but there are just many adjectives in my head!
    You remember me? Its beena while. The uh..1895? image

Best always,
    Eric
  • Options
    Bruce, based on the image, the luster appears to be off the chart for a Bust Dollar - is it anywhere close to that, in hand?
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you going to change your icon? image
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    nice
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options

<< <i>Bruce, based on the image, the luster appears to be off the chart for a Bust Dollar - is it anywhere close to that, in hand? >>

No - I would actually call the coin semi prooflike in hand. It has luster, but also a bit of mirrors. image
  • Options
    Hi there TDN,

thats how I was seeing it - semi PL. Incredible. No bad marks no ajustments just beauty. Congrrats.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite coins are just great things to have.

Everything about them is positive and uplifting.

Sort of like a new car, new girlfriend, new boyfriend, etc.

The thing about coins though is that if you find another one you like even better, your former favorite does not pose a risk of becoming a pain in the arse, .................................. or,..................................... your worst nightmare.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bruce, based on the image, the luster appears to be off the chart for a Bust Dollar - is it anywhere close to that, in hand? >>

No - I would actually call the coin semi prooflike in hand. It has luster, but also a bit of mirrors. image >>

So it's been lightly polished and net graded to 64?image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No - I would actually call the coin semi prooflike in hand. It has luster, but also a bit of mirrors. image >>

So it's been lightly polished and net graded to 64?image >>

LOL. I musta missed all those hairlines. image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    What happened to the surfaces to get that color pattern? Storage?

I know it's old image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.Not sure if I like the color.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could never have a favorite coin in an NGC holder (for long). image

Nice coin!
  • Options

<< <i>I could never have a favorite coin in an NGC holder (for long). image

Nice coin! >>

What's funny is that over the years, most of my favorite coins have resided in NGC holders for all or part of their term in my collection. Perhaps this is due to my willingness to step up and pay for great coins no matter what the holder.
  • Options
    image congrats on acquiring that beauty!!!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I would say without a doubt that coin would be my favorite.

I collect coins like that all the time. Then I wake up when the alarm goes off and it is back to reality. image

Beautiful coin just doesn't really say enough about that piece.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin.Not sure if I like the color. >>

I wouldn't kick the coin out of the collection for the color, but it's odd to me too.
  • Options
    I agree the color is unusual, but my first thought upon viewing the coin was that it is genuine [and spectacular]. And a number of dealers whose opinions I trust share the same thought.
  • Options
    Argh, I swear Im not trying to be a troll and I like TDN and I like the coin.... but if that were a Morgan with the exact same color pattern would it holder today @ PCGS or NGC if cracked out? Or would you have to see it in-hand?
  • Options
    wow that thing's gorgeous
  • Options
    You're not being a troll. I wouldn't touch a Morgan with that same color pattern - but it's not a Morgan. And even tho I like the coin, I wouldn't crack it out in this day and age. image

With that said [as I've often stated] in the grading room there's no proof of NT or AT so the terms are irrelevant - what matters is market acceptable or not. NGC chose MA in this instance and I happen to agree so I bought the coin.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    What's a coin that old supposed to look like.... to me it screams originality. Congrats on a beauty.
  • Options

<< <i>You're not being a troll. I wouldn't touch a Morgan with that same color pattern - but it's not a Morgan. And even tho I like the coin, I wouldn't crack it out in this day and age. image

With that said [as I've often stated] in the grading room there's no proof of NT or AT so the terms are irrelevant - what matters is market acceptable or not. NGC chose MA in this instance and I happen to agree so I bought the coin. >>

and I agree it's 1000% worth owning!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    WHATTTTTTTTTTT?!?!?!?!?!?

Above all your seated dollars?

I haven't seen the dollar in hand, but to compete with the 1807 quater, it must be a stunner.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I notice there is no sticker on that coin...

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    show off !!!! lol !!!!image
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a coin quite like that!

Perhaps that's what makes it special.

That look is unique...

Very nice addition & congratulations.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta admit, that coin stopped me in my tracks. Wow!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    For a coin that old to have survived is such great shape, it must have really been a stunner when it was minted. Obviously the surface must have been DMPL when it came off the presses and either made especially for someone, or the coiner put it aside because it was so special. TDN is in the line of many who have enjoyed posession of this coin and hopefully it will be enjoyed many generations further. Thanks for sharing.
    Paul
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I love it. I wonder however if PCGS might slap that one into a Genuine label?image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I believe that is one of those coins that just has to be seen in hand to truly appriciate.....I will PM you my address.....imageimage

A stunning coin in every sense of the word. Thanks for sharing her with us.
    Becky
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    It's hard for me to pick a favorite coin in your collection, but all of them make me want to work harder.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    certainly unique !!!!!

needs a nicer holder tho...i cant get by the new holders
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Hate to go against the trend...but I am not a fan. Perhaps I would feel different if I had it in hand.

I am much more of a fan of your 1807 BQ...however I might be just a little biased! image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the coins. Hate the pronged holder. Poor NGC, really, truly can't design a nice holder to save their lives.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it image
  • Options
    Hi All,

I don't see that color as troubling. Knowing that it is semi PL - it is not far removed from some toning patterns or "flavors" I have seen on those surfaces. To me those semi mirrored/mirrored sufaces seem to tone differently and more delicately in the way the color is "on" or "in" the metal. I love it and I think it is as genuine or original as one is going to get. Best I have ever seen of ...anything?

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Savory piece of Americana with or without the plastic. Thank you for sharing and gracing the halls with your continued presence, as U.S. Coins are concerned, sir.
  • Options
    While a killer coin in its own right, the color puts me off honestly. Im not bashing the piece, just giving my view. Now would I own it, duhhhh. image Now that 1794 is a whole different beast!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this what is called the Irregular date in the Red Book?
    Stunning coin!!!!!
  • Options
    Well, it would make me more comfortable if this coin had been plated in an old catalog or reference and looked essentially like it does now thirty, fifty or 100 years ago.

Maybe it was?
  • Options
    Beautiful coin, congrats tdn.

That has got to be an early die strike.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Bruce - I think you are saying you appreciate your women with long flowing hair. You must be growing out of the kind that sit on a stool and pose image

Stewart
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin is the BOMBimage

The eye appeal is over the top!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I can't comment on that coin. It's so far out of my league that any evaluation on my part is simply conjecture.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, I can't comment on that coin. It's so far out of my league that any evaluation on my part is simply conjecture.image >>

I've come to the point where I can appreciate the generosity of TDN sharing his treasures with us. Our treasures might cost a tad less, but we like them just the same. It's wonderful that the "gentry" can share with the "hoi polloi". On this forum we can appreciate or excoriate anyone's treasure.
    Paul
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    TDN,

Why are you maing such a big deal about it? I mean, it's a common date imageimage

Seriously, that's a beautiful coin. And you know, what with all this talk of totally original or not.... based on some of the coins you own, if you like it, that's all that matters. Nice pickup!

Bill
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file