Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Top 25 non FB,BB,BB or Hockey sport cards

I was trying to put together a list of rookies from sports other than the big four... but some are tough to find what their true rookie card is. this is also a pretty modern list.. i was thinking 1970-present. these were 20 i thought belonged on this list.. what do you guys think?

Muhammad Ali 1966 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 377 Boxing/Wrestling CHECK
Mario Andretti 1969 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 117 Racing Cards CHECK
Arthur Ashe 1970 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 333 Tennis CHECK
Jack Nicklaus 1971 Barratt & Co Famous Sportsmen 6 Golf
Pele 1964 Panini Campioni Dello Sport N/A Soccer CHECK
Richard Petty 1972 Stp N/A Racing Cards PM me if anyone has one for sale
Evel Knievel 1974 Evel Knievel Topps 1 Non-Sport CHECK
Arnold Palmer 1978 Sports Deck Ace of Clubs 80 Golf
Andre the Giant 1982 Wrestling All-Stars Series A 1 Boxing/Wrestling
Mike Tyson 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Boxing/Wrestling CHECK
Carl Lewis 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 2 Multi-Sport CHECK
Hulk Hogan 1985 Topps WWF 1 Boxing/Wrestling CHECK
Jeff Gordon 1987 World Of Outlaws 52 Racing Cards CHECK
Andre Agassi 1987 Panini 199 Tennis CHECK
Evander Holyfield 1988 Panini Supersport Italian 168 Boxing/Wrestling CHECK
Dale Earnhardt 1988 Maxx 99 Racing Cards CHECK (might be looking to upgrade to the 1983 UNO card)
Pete Sampras 1991 Netpro 7 Tennis CHECK
Lance Armstrong 1992 Impel Olympicard 31 Cycling CHECK
Kelly Slater 1993 Futera Hot Surf 31 Surfing CHECK
Tony Hawk 1994 Generation Extreme 95 Skateboarding CHECK
David Beckham 1997 Merlin's Premier Gold 92 Soccer
Tiger Woods 1998 Champions Of Golf Masters Collection N/A Golf CHECK
Roger Federer 2003 Netpro 90 Tennis CHECK
Michael Phelps 2004 Leaf Fans Of the Game FG-2 Football

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    i forgot all about racing.. petty and jeff gordon should prob be 21 and 22
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Nicklaus has a 1971 Barratt & Co. that is more expensive than the 1981 Donruss.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Very cool list. I dig the Hulk Hogan RC, he's awesome. I've actually submitted a few of the Lance Armstrong RC's before. They were more popular than I thought they would be.
  • Options
    thought i would add this one

1974 Evel Knievel 1 Evel Knievel Non-Sport Cards
  • Options
    I've added a few racing rookies.. There has to be a better card the 1990 pro set for arnold palmer.. but couldn't find it. Also i don't know a think about Panini Capioni.. if they are terrible looking black and white cards.. i'd rather pick a different card. same with the STP card. I know that Jack had a Barrat card.. but there were already 2 cards from that set.. i thought i'd go with the the more common set.

Tiger Woods 1998 Champions Of Golf Masters Collection N/A Golf
    Arnold Palmer 1990 Pro Set PGA Tour 80 Golf
    Jack Nickalause 1981 Donruss Golf 13 Golf
    Pete Sampras 1991 Netpro 7 Tennis
    Andre Agassi 1987 Panini Tennis
    Roger Federer 2003 Netpro 90 Tennis
    Arthur Ashe 1970 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 333 Multi-Sport
    Hulk Hogan 1985 Topps WWF 1 Boxing/Wrestling
    Kelly Slater 1993 Futera Hot Surf 31 Misc
    Tony Hawk 1994 Generation Extreme 95 Skateboarding
    Muhammad Ali 1971 Barratt & Co Famous Sportsmen 24 European/Foreign
    Mike Tyson 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Multi-Sport
    Evander Holyfield 1988 Panini Supersport Italian Multi-Sport
    Lance Armstrong 1992 Impel Olympicard 31 Cycling
    Pele 1971 Barratt & Co Famous Sportsmen 30 Soccer
    David Beckham 1997 Merlin's Prmier Gold 92 Soccer
    Usain Bolt 2008 Si For Kids 294 Multi-Sport
    Carl Lewis 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 2 Multi-Sport
    Evel Knievel 1974 Evel Knievel Topps 1 Non-Sport
    Richard Petty 1972 Stp N/A Racing Cards
    Jeff Gordon 1987 World Of Outlaws 52 Racing Cards
    Mario Andretti 1969 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 117 Multi-Sport Cards
    Pete Weber 1990 Kingpins PBA Bowling
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Jack Dempsey
    Rocky Marciano
    Bodacious
    Carl Lewis
    Affirmed(Man O' War, Secretariut, Citation cards?)
    Bruce Lee

IDK I could probably think of more but I'm about to get off of work...

(Doesn't have to be these cards. If you have a better one by all means throw it in.)
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Dale Earnhardt - 1989 Maxx Racing - Card #3

Logan
  • Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Jesse Owens--1935 MURATTI CIGARETTES-ZWISCHEN OLYMPISCHEN SPIELEN JESSE OWENS OLYMPISCHEN SPIELEN
    have never seen this card , anybody ?? i know its earlier than 70 but you can`t mention Carl Lewis without Owens .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    What about Pele. I think he as a 1970's soccer card but I am not sure.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    oops....my bad. i see him on the list now.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    What? No love for the baddest bull to ever walk the earth?

• Options
    ha.. i don't know about the bull.. i like the other cards.. def wanted to get some Horse/jockey cards in there.. i thought about owens, dempsy, rocky ect.. but wanted to keep it somewhat modern. since many of those cards are $$$ and hard to find.. pretty much i'm lazy and didn't want an imposible set. i like the idea of including bruce lee.. these are just my opinions that i'm throwing out there..
  • Options
    I look at Bodacious the same way I look at race horses or race cars... They were all bred / built for competition. If you're unfamiliar with the story of this beast look him up in Wikipedia and read of the path of destruction he left. He was actually retired in his prime because of the injuries he was handing out to the top riders in the sport. Even the bulls he sired are all pretty badass!
  • Options
    If you don't like the 1971 Barratt Nicklaus, you can go with the 1973 Panini Nicklaus.

eBay - Nicklaus Panini
  • Options
    what is considered richard petty's key card? i like the panini stickers. All the ones i have seen have pretty clear color pictures. even the 1970 Ashe. in a psa slab you can't even tell its a sticker. tough to find though. Its even tougher to determine what the mkt price its. For example a 1971 pele psa 8 sold for 15 bucks. that seems like a pretty good price to me.. considering the age of the card and he is prob the Jordan of soccer.. is there a different card that is considered his rookie.. or is there just no demand for these kinda cards??
  • Options
    I've revised the list a bit. PSA rejected the idea for a set because it was too objective.. i totally agree.. but still enjoy trying to put it together. I've tried to keep it somewhat modern and not get into the prewar boxing and golf cards.. this is my revised checklist. I know there is plenty of debate over what is pele and ali's rookie. pele has some cards from the 50's that sell for a ton.. and it seems like ali's 71 barrat is more popular than the 66 panini..and i haven't even seen a 65 Lampo.. I've decided to just go with the panini cards. its just my opinion though. I'm still looking for the Ashe, Petty and tyson card.

Player Year Set Number Sport
    Muhammad Ali 1966 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 377 Boxing/Wrestling
    Mario Andretti 1969 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 117 Racing Cards
    Arthur Ashe 1970 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 333 Tennis
    Jack Nicklaus 1971 Barratt & Co Famous Sportsmen 6 Golf
    Pele 1964 Panini Campioni Dello Sport N/A Soccer
    Richard Petty 1972 Stp N/A Racing Cards
    Evel Knievel 1974 Evel Knievel Topps 1 Non-Sport
    Arnold Palmer 1978 Sports Deck Ace of Clubs 80 Golf
    Andre the Giant 1982 Wrestling All-Stars Series A 1 Boxing/Wrestling
    Mike Tyson 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Boxing/Wrestling
    Carl Lewis 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 2 Multi-Sport
    Hulk Hogan 1985 Topps WWF 1 Boxing/Wrestling
    Jeff Gordon 1987 World Of Outlaws 52 Racing Cards
    Andre Agassi 1987 Panini 199 Tennis
    Evander Holyfield 1988 Panini Supersport Italian 168 Boxing/Wrestling
    Dale Earnhardt 1988 Maxx 99 Racing Cards
    Pete Sampras 1991 Netpro 7 Tennis
    Lance Armstrong 1992 Impel Olympicard 31 Cycling
    Kelly Slater 1993 Futera Hot Surf 31 Surfing
    Tony Hawk 1994 Generation Extreme 95 Skateboarding
    David Beckham 1997 Merlin's Prmier Gold 92 Soccer
    Tiger Woods 1998 Champions Of Golf Masters Collection N/A Golf
    Roger Federer 2003 Netpro 90 Tennis
    Usain Bolt 2008 Si For Kids 294 Multi-Sport
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I think its a bit premature to put Usain Bolt on this list. Most of the others all seem to fit in as "legends", but its way to early to put Bolt in this group IMO. There are lots of sprinters who have shined in 1 Olympics, only to fade away after another few years. Carl Lewis belongs here, but not Bolt.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    good point.. maybe one of these should replace it..

George Foreman 1973 Panini Campioni Dello Sport 289 Boxing
    Willie Shoemaker 1981 Smithsonian Institute Champions Of American Sports N/A Jockey
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    N28 John L. Sullivan
    1933 Sport Kings Bobby Jones
    1933 Sport Kings Babe Didrickson-Zaharias
    1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano
    1948 Leaf Sugar Ray Robinson
    1951 Topps Ringside Rocky Marciano

Steve
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>N28 John L. Sullivan
    1933 Sport Kings Bobby Jones
    1933 Sport Kings Babe Didrickson-Zaharias
    1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano
    1948 Leaf Sugar Ray Robinson
    1951 Topps Ringside Rocky Marciano

Steve >>

I say Bolt out- Bobby Jones in.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>I think its a bit premature to put Usain Bolt on this list. Most of the others all seem to fit in as "legends", but its way to early to put Bolt in this group IMO. There are lots of sprinters who have shined in 1 Olympics, only to fade away after another few years. Carl Lewis belongs here, but not Bolt.

-Michael >>

I got lucky and bought a bolt si for kids on ebay a couple of months ago. Didn't really think it was in that special of shape.. i have no clue how psa grades the perferated cards. I got lucky and got a PSA 10 on. I decided to put it on ebay just to see how much it was it worth. I had a $100 reserve and really didn't think it would get anywhere close to that. It ended up selling for 149. Now i'm back in the mkt for one of these. I really don't think its worth more than 5 bucks. there are 2 on ebay raw for 100. did i miss something??
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I saw your Bodacious the Bull card and went and looked at some YouTube n him. OMG what a devastating animal!!! I've been to PBR in person, but I've never seen anything like that.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Are there cards of Cael Sanderson and Dan Gable? They would make my best of list.
  • Options
    i finally got a 71 barrett jack nicklaus. got it for about 60 bucks on ebay. I haven't gotten it yet..but the scans look like about a 6. I'm still looking for a 72 stp petty. I haven't seen one of these pop up on ebay in the past year. This has been one of the more fun collections for me to put together because some of the cards have been pretty tough to find and the whole collection has been fairly inexpensive. I stopped focusing on my football and basketball collections for a bit because i mostly collect rookies and they are all pretty common in the major sports.. its just a matter of money. I also think that these cards have more upside than the major sports rookies. i think i might work on pre 1960 collection to add to this with bobby jones, jack dempsy ect.. those a quite a bit more expensive though.