Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's the worse shipping method you recieved ? Updated

What's the worse shipping method you recieved ? Well here's a pic of mine. Just recieved these in the mailbox today. Don't worry there only 1954 Topps hockey. No sence putting them in any type of holder. We'll just though them in a kid's goodie bag and sandwich them between 2 pieces of styrofoam. Well so much for that idea as the cards slid around and now all the corners are dinged up.
What a joke !! Already e-mailed him telling him cards on going back and expect full refund. I think the guy is going to try to claim insurance but when the postal office calls me i am going to tell the truth. Cards were not securely packaged. No fault on the post office on this one.
Can you believe this ??? Was so frustrated i also said that if i won a valuable stamp would you lick it and put it on the envelope ? Were are people's brains sometimes ??
Anyways, here the pic.
Cheers, Steve

Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow, sorry to hear that. beats anything that ever happened to me.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • That stinks!

My favorite set.

Was the seller a card person or did they just have the 54's? Doesn't matter, I'm sure the price you payed for them was high enough that they would have some common sense.
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's pretty bad.

A few years ago, I won an auction for a near complete Topps Chrome basketball set. The 200+ cards came in a giant bubble mailer, just loose floating around the package.

When I win an Ebay auction, I always check the seller's feedback and/or other items for sale. If the seller doesn't normally sell cards, I always send them an email asking how the cards will be shipped. More than once have I had to tell him/her that a PWE wasn't going to cut it.
  • BVG in PWE
    PSA in PWE
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • I'm not allowed to write what i was really saying and thinking when i seen this as i opened package.image
    Steve
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I write the address on the slab and put a stamp on it. The buyers can just whipe it down with some goo gone.

• << <i>Sometimes I write the address on the slab and put a stamp on it. The buyers can just whipe it down with some goo gone. >>

same way i ship except mine is postage due, now u know the right way. image
  • Nothing that bad as far as cards go but it seems like every time I order a book, unless it's from Amazon, the seller either puts it in a bubble mailer or if it's too big/heavy for that, puts it in a box THE EXACT SAME SIZE as the book with no other packing. HELLO, if it even gets dropped a short distance, the box doesn't protect the corners. Do people not understand how the post office handles mail?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    THAT is unreal. As someone already asked, was it a card person? I sure as heck hope it wasn't!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing that bad as far as cards go but it seems like every time I order a book, unless it's from Amazon, the seller either puts it in a bubble mailer or if it's too big/heavy for that, puts it in a box THE EXACT SAME SIZE as the book with no other packing. HELLO, if it even gets dropped a short distance, the box doesn't protect the corners. Do people not understand how the post office handles mail? >>

where are you ordering your books? are they "brand-new"
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I find the baggie is perfectly safe if you staple the cards so they don't slide.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • The guy owns a antique store. Obviously he doesn't deal to much with sports cards especially if he cannot even go out to a dollar store and buy a pack of 25 rigid holders for a buck !! Now he gets his cards back which will sell for probably 1 forth of what i paid. Still haven't heard back from him. Hoping not to have to claim a paypal claim. I either want all my money back or i'll keep the cards but still want 80 percent of my money back.
    Steve
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Steve .. I hope he does the right thing!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • I hope so to. He has a high rating. 100 percent and even says in the listing that you have a 14 day return policy. I didn't need 14 seconds !!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That wasn't cool.

Here's mine.

Mike
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    granted, the shipping sucked, but in all honesty I think the guy, for not being a card collector/dealer, did a pretty good job describing these cards in his eBay listing, and I highly doubt shipping them loose in a zip-lock bag with two pieces of cardboard further damaged this particular lot of cards (based on his description, these were already in pretty poor shape).

I'm not saying what he did was right, and you are well within your right to be upset and want a refund, but I don't really think any real harm was done with this particular transaction. Just my honest opinion from the information I've gathered from your post, and the auctions from this seller. You still have some beautiful cards!

Patrick
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope so to. He has a high rating. 100 percent and even says in the listing that you have a 14 day return policy. I didn't need 14 seconds !! >>

Does he deal in cards or other stuff also?

This looks like someone who just didn't know what they were doing? Or didn't care?

That's really disappointing!
    mike

edit: read further where he's an antique dealer? Heck, you would think common sense would prevail?
    Mike
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    I still like that Sawchuk...

• << <i>

<< <i>Nothing that bad as far as cards go but it seems like every time I order a book, unless it's from Amazon, the seller either puts it in a bubble mailer or if it's too big/heavy for that, puts it in a box THE EXACT SAME SIZE as the book with no other packing. HELLO, if it even gets dropped a short distance, the box doesn't protect the corners. Do people not understand how the post office handles mail? >>

where are you ordering your books? are they "brand-new" >>

With rare exceptions, yes.
  • I asked him for better scans of certain cards. He sent pics, high resolutionscans. I can guarantee you the cards were not in this shape before shipping.
  • "especially if he cannot even go out to a dollar store and buy a pack of 25 rigid holders for a buck !!"

Please tell me what dollar store you shop at.

BTW - Sorry about your situation. 85% of people who don't know anything about cards will send them in ways I cannot fathom.
  • The one on Eureka road in Michigan has them for 1.00 for a pack of 25. I have also found them in Canada in the dollar store near a zellers.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    he must be storing his dope in the screwdowns.
  • That is unreal! Very frustrating!
    who dey!

looking for 1964 topps baseball psa graded 7+
  • A 2000 CE Supreme update boxed set crammed into a priority envelope. Everyone of the cards were damaged.
  • Ouch..... Reminds me of the 1957 Topps Dodger's Sluggers I received loose in a Plain White Envelope.
  • jaderockjaderock Posts: 185 ✭✭
    16x20 glass plaue came wrapped in a paper bag...the glass shattered and the auto artwork was totalled
    Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION
  • JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    I can sometimes find a great deal on cards from non-collectors...maybe someone who has no idea what they are selling. Unfortunately the down side to that is they also have no idea how to mail it safely.
  • scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    What's the worse shipping method you recieved ?

This is my worst . . .

Just an inexperienced seller -- he willingly refunded the purchase - Scott

• I received a PSA graded card from a forum member that had 2 stamps stuck on the PSA slab. It was sent as a joke but kind of surprised it actually arrived.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>he must be storing his dope in the screwdowns. >>

best post on this thread.
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    sorry this happened to you.....no excuse at all for this type of mailing.....would file a claim immediately that card has not arrived yet..
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    That sucks Steve! I hate seeing 54topps being abusedimage
  • Once had someone put a card in a card saver, and then sandwiched the card between two pieces of cardboard and wrote the address and put the postage right on the cardboard. Apparantly it was good enough to mail that way. And won a 1990 Donruss Learning Series set where the seller put the loose cards in a padded envelope, dinged half of the set. I chalked it up to them not being familiar with cards.
  • Got mine today... I bought about 10 1956 Topps Baseball, and they arrived in wrapped only in a plastic grocery bag, put inside of a box...
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Well he is not willingly giving me my money back. He asked for pics of cards. I took the time to show pics of cards with the corners being bent etc.. compared to his pics. Filed paypal claim.
    To top it off he has insurance on the package but says he's claiming that for himself !!
    Add this guy to your list. Says he has no need for card holders when he sells his cards.
    tickintime
    Steve image
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well he is not willingly giving me my money back. He asked for pics of cards. I took the time to show pics of cards with the corners being bent etc.. compared to his pics. Filed paypal claim.
    To top it off he has insurance on the package but says he's claiming that for himself !!
    Add this guy to your list. Says he has no need for card holders when he sells his cards.
    tickintime
    Steve image >>

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you. I have been fortunate enough not to run into this problem.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, that Jordan pic puts a lump in your throat. What the hel| is wrong with people? Nice Sawchuk by the way, it's my favourite card.. hate seeing it in a ziplock bag.

- Garret
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    My latest pet peeve is people mailing stuff in non-waterproof wrapping.

News flash - a bubble mailer, card savers and cardboard don't always hold up against winter weather.

News flash #2 - ziplock bags are REEEEEALLLLL cheap.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    seller once sent me a caed in a white letter envelope with card in a penny sleeve by the time i recieved it it was only worth a penny.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    I can beat that, I once had a guy that used a carrier pigeon!

Believe it of not!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>seller once sent me a caed in a white letter envelope with card in a penny sleeve by the time i recieved it it was only worth a penny. >>

I just received a card in a PWE
    Card wrapped in Kleenex
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    1965 lamp cassis clay shipped from Italy in a plain whit envelope with no plastic or case if any kind. Miraculously the cards wasn't creased and still graded a 6.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    The one that never came...
    Good for you.

• << <i>BVG in PWE
    PSA in PWE >>

Serious? How did they fit? cracked? broken? frosted? etc.? wow...unreal!!!!!!!!

• << <i>What's the worse shipping method you recieved ?

This is my worst . . .

Just an inexperienced seller -- he willingly refunded the purchase - Scott

image >>

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Through the years I have saved all of the"dummy memorabilia cards" used in packs to replicate a real mem. card. They make for good added protection for cards in top loads. Sandwich the top loaded card in between the 2 dummy cards. Then tape. This provides an extra level of protection along with your cardboard/bubble wrap and box or bubble mailer.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".