Home Metal Detecting
Options

WWI or WWII detecting sites

Are there members of the forum that detect these sites that are not protected? If so what are your finds?

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Not a battlefield site, but near me are several farmland areas where I have been told that during WW2 over 10,000 soldiers "invaded" northern NY on maneuvers while training at the local military base (base is about 50 miles away). I've seen old photos of Sherman tanks and half tracks going through the town in which I live loaded with troops etc.. A few years ago a live 76mm shell was found according to the local newspaper by someone who was doing some excavation work. I've thought about trying to locate the areas of the campsites where the troops were during these training missions- as most would be on private farm land, but most of the older folks in the know are gone now or their memory isn't as good as it was and for obvious reasons the reports at the time were kept out of the papers. I'm not sure at the time however if the soldiers would have had much money in their pockets to loose . I'm sure all over this country there must be thousands of such sites as well.